Sidney Crosby

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sidney Crosby is making his debut for the Penguins in about one hour. Should be a great atmosphere at the game in Pittsburgh. It's been almost a year since Sid last played due to persistent concussion symptoms. Let's hope he's one hundred percent as he's a tremendous hockey player and a class act and great representative of the NHL off the ice.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It took Crosby all of about 4 minutes to score in his first game back, a beautiful back-hander! The game is being televised nationally on Versus.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Glad to see him back. He's a rare talent and really helps the league.

What is it with concussions now? I know they are trying to prevent some kind of permanent damage by being so cautious but I see the old timers all the time and they seem fine. Look at Gordie Howe, the guy played for 60 years and had to have his head bashed a million times. But he seems fine. Same for most of the other old timers. I can see in football where there is a lot of head butting but how often does it happen in hockey? It seems like more of the pussification of our society. Pitch counts for pitchers, year long time off for concussions, next thing you know they will be bringing in relief QB's if the starter throws too many passes.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
2 goals and 2 assists is a heckuva way to make a debut. Glad to see him back even though I am a Rangers fan.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sid currently has 499 goals. The Penguins play at Ottawa tonight. If he get his 500th in this game it will not only be on the road but will take place in front of a huge throng of 500 fans due to Ontario's insane Covid restrictions. But whenever it happens it's a significant accomplishment for one of the best all-around players ever. It's hard to believe "Sid the Kid" will turn 35 this summer.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Sid currently has 499 goals. The Penguins play at Ottawa tonight. If he get his 500th in this game it will not only be on the road but will take place in front of a huge throng of 500 fans due to Ontario's insane Covid restrictions. But whenever it happens it's a significant accomplishment for one of the best all-around players ever. It's hard to believe "Sid the Kid" will turn 35 this summer.
Will you be able to see the game televised on one of the satellite or Penguins paystub channels, Don? Would be great if you can. Silly that more fans can't be there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I can watch any of their games on the local Pittsburgh sports network -- except the ones ESPN televises and puts on one of their streaming services. That was never the case before until ESPN won the hockey rights for some reason, given that ESPN basically hates hockey for obvious reasons and has always given it about as much coverage as cornhole. NBC is little better ideologically but did a much better job of televising games and promoting the league. ESPN's goal may be to make the NHL as obscure as possible.

Anyway, the second period just ended and it's 1-0 Pitt. Jeff Carter scored the only goal so far.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Ok, good deal. Looking forward to his 500th. He's been around long enough I remember him back in the day when I watched hockey a lot more often. We'll have to get a clip of the goal on here in the threads whenever it happens. Maybe it'll happen at home in an upcoming game. Either way, what an accomplishment.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sid scores his 500th goal tonight at home against the arch-rival Flyers. He's the 46th player to reach 500 so it isn't super rare, but in this low scoring era he's the only active player besides Ovechkin with that many.

Crosby is a great all-around player and scoring isn't even his strongest suit as he passes up lots of shots trying to set up teammates. His parents were there to see him get his 500th, a nice moment in Pittsburgh hockey history.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Sidney Crosby. He is a class act on and off the ice. Crosby is an amazing hockey player!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Sid yesterday and I'm glad he did it on the home ice with his parents there!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Sidney Crosby had three points last night and moved from 15th place in all-time career points to a tie for 13th. He passed Paul Coffey and tied Mark Recchi. Both Coffey and Recchi spent part of their careers with the Penguins.

At the age of 36, Crosby now has 1,533 points and is still going strong though no longer one of the very best players in the league. He's already had a long career as he broke in as an 18 year old and had 100 points as a rookie, but if he can continue to play well for another two or three seasons, he'll finish in the top ten, pretty significant considering all the other all-time points leaders played in previous eras other than Alex Ovechkin, who is currently 16th with 1,501 points and with a good shot surpassing Wayne Gretzky to be the NHL's all-time leading goal scorer.

After Crosby and Ovechkin, the leading active scorers are Evgeni Malkin (40th all time) and Patrick Kane (41st).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Crosby recently passed Joe Thornton and is now 12th all time in career scoring with 1,543 points. Next up is Ray Bourque, who finished with 1,579 combined goals and assists.

Looking at the list of all-time scorers, Sid has a chance to finish second if he stays motivated for a few more years and his skills don't erode too much, no given as his main contemporary and rival, Alex Ovechkin, is really struggling this season with just 8 goals through 38 games. Ovechkin is 38 while Crosby is 36.

I know Carolina Speed likes to keep tabs on career marks in baseball and football, so here's hockey's all-time best:

1. Wayne Gretzky -- 2,857 points, unlikely to be surpassed for a long time if ever.
2. Jaromir Jagr -- 1,921 points, Jagr's number 68 is finally going to be retired next month by the Penguins, a welcome and long overdue move that should be a quite emotional event given how Jagr was long mistreated by the DWFs and the Penguins organization.
3. Mark Messier -- 1,887 points
4. Gordie Howe -- 1,850 points
5. Ron Francis -- 1,798 points, maybe the most under-rated and under-appreciated player ever.
6. Marcel Dionne -- 1,771 points
7. Steve Yzerman -- 1,775 points, my favorite non-Penguin, great player and class act, is the man mainly responsible for turning the Tampa Bay Lightning into such a strong team for so many years now.
8. Mario Lemieux -- 1,723 points, the only one who could have threatened Gretzky's records but suffered from a bad back and a bout with cancer that cost him many games.
9. Joe Sakic -- 1,641 points
10. Phil Esposito -- 1,590 points
11. Ray Bourque -- 1,579 points, the only defenseman among the top twelve.
12. Sidney Crosby -- 1,543 points and still going strong.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I know Carolina Speed likes to keep tabs on career marks in baseball and football, so here's hockey's all-time best:
Ironically, I just logged on to see this post. I don't look at the Hockey thread very often as growing up we had the Charlotte Checkers minor league and that's about it, and of course there were no leagues for kids to play in down here. Now, with The Hurricanes in Raleigh there's more interest, but leagues for kids are only in the larger cities.
Hockey was the one sport my sons always wanted to try, but there was just nowhere to get them involved, so they wrestled in the winter between football and baseball/track.
But yes, always enjoy looking at stats/career marks in any sport. Glad to see Crosby climbing the list of greats.
So, incredible to see the "Great One" at the top and the kind of talent he was. Do you think that's a record that will never be broken?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found your way to this thread! I think the only way Gretzky's records -- not just career points but his individual season records of 92 goals and 215 points -- can be threatened is if the NHL goes back to a more wide open game, which was the case during much of Gretzky's career.

Gretzky remains the only player to score 200 points in a season, but Mario Lemieux scored 199 points in 1988-'89, his peak year. I do think Lemieux was the greatest offensive talent ever, or at least rivaled Gretzky, but as mentioned he lost the equivalent of several seasons due to a bad back that plagued him off and on. Gretzky was a sheer genius at seeing the ice and anticipating and making plays in a sport that moves at constant breakneck speed.

But those kinds of marks haven't been threatened for over 30 years now as the league has chosen for better or worse to tamp down on offense through various rules changes under the seemingly permanent commissioner Gary Bettman. The owners obviously like the status quo as well and the product is quite good, but most fans like lots of scoring over low scoring games, though a well played 1-0 hockey game can be as entertaining as a 7-6 one.