SI cover

sunshine

Mentor
Well lookee here. Si has a white foreign athlete on the cover who is not part of the three--make that four--(NHL) major sports in the USA> Great Federer finally made the cover------wait there is a bitty picture of him --(sharing equal space with Venus W) the real cover star is David Beckham. You have got to be friggen kidding me. Coming off one of the greatest and most historical tennis matches of all time tying one of the great milestones in sports--Borg's amazing 5 year Wimbledon winning streak--- and we end up with what looks to be a puff piece on Beckham--a player near retirement? The ever exciting MLS which like the WNBA seems to be in nowhere land.
SI has just reached a new low.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Much of the media hype behind Beckham's popularity is due to his embracing the role of prominent "metrosexual." Anything androgynous, bisexual, homosexual, or involving male modeling and posing, will be rewarded by the Cultural Marxists.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yeah the media is all over Beckham, every where i look the corporate sports conglomerate is selling this guy. They are hoping to boost soccer, not because they like it but because it's a non-American game and anything that is not American is good.

What a great turn of events it would be if soccer took off in the US led by all of the white kids that play soccer around the country and bumped the caste sports off of the front pages. HA HA.

Although if soccer did get popular they would institute the same anti-white bias so that 3rd worlders would get all the playing time and press.

texasheat

Hey, let's not complain guys. Sure, Swiss-born Federer didn't make the cover but English-born Beckham did. Last time I checked its still a white athlete.

More importantly (and I know this should really be on the soccer forum), but Beckham is getting some TREMENDOUS press. I was too young for the Pele hype but this does seem to be a lot of hype. The most hype for a soccer athlete in the last 25 years in the U.S. So, sit back & enjoy a white athelete getting as much positive press as Tiger.
smiley1.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
texasheat said:
More importantly (and I know this should really be on the soccer forum), but Beckham is getting some TREMENDOUS press. I was too young for the Pele hype but this does seem to be a lot of hype. The most hype for a soccer athlete in the last 25 years in the U.S.

Not much of a mystery. Beckham interview from yesterday's Guardian;

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2126173,00.html

"It's always nice to be loved and liked, and not just for the soccer. I've always been honoured when people have made me feel special all around the world. I get that from the gay community around the world, from the black community, and the Jewish community because I'm half Jewish. I'm really honoured when people say different things about me. If I can have that effect in America, then great."

sunshine

Mentor
Fine a Beckham-soccer- cover but timing is the key..Federer is coming off one of the best and most important matches in Wimbledon history and it is relegated to the sidelines. You wouldn't know it by SI but the Federer-Nadal battle ranks near the top of all time duals--take your pick-McEnroe-Borg, Ali-Frazier,Russell-Chamberlin, Dempsey-Tunney,Mantle-Mays,Nicklaus-Palmer,Leonard-Hearns,Di Maggio-Williams--need I go on--catch my drift. SEISMIC!!!! and SI f's it up BIG TIME.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Appropriate commentary.

Nadal, Federer Match Land Tennis a Rare Sports Illustrated Cover Nod

sicover.jpg

by Sean Randall

The accolades continue to pour in after the majestic Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer Wimbledon final Sunday. TV ratings were up across the board from the match, and now, if you haven't heard both players are featured on the cover on the latest issue of Sports Illustrated.

I know many of you - especially if you live outside the U.S. - don't care what Sports Illustrated thinks or more often doesn't think about tennis. Fair enough. But if you have followed this blog you know I've been pretty outspoken of the magazine's lack of recognition of Federer's accomplishments and really tennis in general.

So how ironic after all of Federer's titles, wins, records, etc., he finally graces the cover after a loss! It's almost comical. But I guess that's part of the "monster" Roger said he created back in Australia this year...

more