Sean O’Hair in the lead

JB Cash

I watched some of Saturday's Players Championship, it ended with a twelve-year old kid in the lead-Sean O'Hair. O'Hair is not really 12 of course, he just looks like it. I hope he is not an inspiration for young boys to start golfing, Tiger Woods has already clogged up the links with black guys thinking they can play, and I don't even want to start in about Michelle Wie.....

O'Hair, I gather from the constant comments from the announcers had a problem with his father. Apparently his father was a hard taskmaster, taking Sean to the golf course ever day when he was a young kid, forcing him to work on his game and shockingly after all that effort wanting the kid to pay him a percentage of his winning's when he turned pro.

I don't know the whole story, just the media filtered one. But it sounds suspiciously like the story of another hard driving golf father--Earl Woods. However the golf obsessed Earl Woods is lionized as a hero while O'Hair's father is some kind of monster. Perhaps he was.

I do not know for sure. I DO know that Mr. Williams, the father of the Williams sisters is given a pass even though he is basically a nut-job, or that you rarely hear anything negative abour Mr. Michelle Wie, the guy who drags his teenage daughter around to the men's tournaments so she can be the focus of a media circus.

And now O'Hair is under the tutaledge of his father-in-law. Nice. Father too domineering? Let the father-in-law take over, he'll have the best interests of the kid at heart. Perhaps someone knows more details about this and can enlighten.

Re the tournament itself: don't you think that Phil Mickelson has to be salivating all over himself with the guys around him in the final round? Nothing but kids and never-beens. Phil has GOT to take this one, if he doesn't...well it will be classic Phil, unfortunately.

I don't like the water at 17. It has a spot for one of Phil's balls just waiting.

Burts

I wasn't aware of the leader of the tournament, as my local sports outlet led their coverage off with the only real story, Eldrick Woods shooting a fourth round 67, which I gather brought him within 10 shots or so of the lead. I don't know anything else, because I turned the TV off immediatly.

JB Cash

Yes there was some Woods discussion at the end of this tournament, appears he may have his "confidence" back after finishing well. I seem to be sensing another aspect of the Tiger phenomenon as several people I spoke to about the tournament expressed happiness that he wasn't around this weekend. Perhaps the sheeple are tiring of the Great Black/Asian hope.

I must admit that I prefer to see him near the top and get beat then linger at the bottom. Would be better if he just missed the cut. He should have a special exemtion that if he is not in contention on Sunday he can just go home. He doesn't need the money right? What is he going to do with a $1300 check? Give it to a homeless person? Wipe his butt with it?

Must have been some good seats in the Tiger gallery this week!

Also in Tiger news, he had a brief spat with Rory Sabbatini a South African golfer this week. Sabbatini mentioned that he "liked the new Tiger" meaning the Tiger that plays crappy golf. Woods responded in really poor sportsmanship fashion, especially by golf standards, by reminding reporters that he had won three times this year, as much as Sabbatini has his whole career.

That kind of snarkiness from a white celebrity athlete would have been panned by the media, in this case it was Rory that took the heat for "trash talking." I don't know much about Sabbatini but for a guy from South Africa to say anything bad about the world's greatest non-white athlete takes a huge amount of courage.

Last I saw though Sabbatini had begun the white man shuffle and backed off his comments, apologizing, saying Tiger is the greatest, he didn't mean no disrespect, blah blah blah, typical white grovel speak. But still, I guess Rory has talked poorly of Tiger before so the man has some balls and I don't mean of the Titlest variety.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Oh ye of little faith!
smiley36.gif
What a Tiger-esque win for Phil today, as the field wilted in front of his inevitable triumph in the tournament that ranks just below the four majors.A dominating performance on a course that demands precision, outstanding win by Mickelson.
smiley32.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don, you're the golf guruof Caste Football. Does Butch Harmon deserve any credit for this? Phil seems to think so.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Bart said:
Don, you're the golf guru of Caste Football.  Does Butch Harmon deserve any credit for this?  Phil seems to think so. 

I'd be interested in Don's take on it also. It was interesting that Johnny Miller thought Phil would benefit from better "coaching".

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quiet Speed said:
I'd be interested in Don's take on it also. It was interesting that Johnny Miller thought Phil would benefit from better "coaching".

I was pleasantly surprised by that also. It's like Johnny held his Caste tongue for once and gave credit where credit is due. Mickelson is far and away the second best player since the Tiger era began. He's also The People's Choice, a "throwback" to what was and still should be.

GWTJ

Mentor
Got home around 8:00pm last night and tried to find out if Phil had won. The rolling ticker on the bottom of the screen on ESPN2 did not recap the golf. They gave the usual big four sports plus the MLS, mens and womens LAX and NASCAR. I guess with GOD out of contention, ESPN felt no need to inform the public how their actual favorite golfer did. ESPN is truly the pits.
smiley35.gif