Schaub Traded to the Texans

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad to see Matt Schaub finally get an opportunity to be a starter, as the Falcons decide to stick with Vick. I see the Texans finally becoming respectableunder Schaub if they upgrade their offensive line,and the Falcons continuing to decline.

I also hope David Carr gets an opportunity to start with another team. Every season with the expansion Texanshe had absolutely terrible pass protection. He never had a chance to develop under those circumstances. It wouldn't be surprising if his confidence is shot, but he has lots of ability and is still young for a quarterback. He's yet another of those white quarterbacks the media and the fans enjoy dumping on, but no quarterback can do well without minimal time to set, see the field and throw.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What teams could Carr end up on? KC, Detroit, Miami and Minnesota seem most likely.

bigunreal

Mentor
The Houston Texans continue to prove they are perhaps the most inept organization in the history of pro sports. The Falcons robbed the Texans here. I think Matt Schaub may very well develop into a good QB, but he has two career starts, and has 6 TD and 6 INT lifetime. To give up this much for a mostly unproven backup is ridiculous, especially when you are simultaneously giving up on a potentially great QB in David Carr. I just don't think Schaub is an improvement on Carr. Schaub certainly benefited from playing behind the atrocious Michael Vick, where the unspoken belief of so many fans was "geez, he looks much better than Vick- he could be a great starter somewhere." In this respect, Schaub's value was terribly overinflated, much like Rob Johnson's was several years ago, when he had one decent game with Jacksonville, and Buffalo ended up trading a #1 draft pick for him. As a huge David Carr fan, this may or may not be good for him. With the stupidity that runs rampant in pro sports (this trade certainly provides a great example of that), there is no guarantee that he will be given a chance to start anywhere else, even though many teams are fielding inept quarterbacks. Carr played behind the worst offensive line that pro football has ever seen, for five long seasons. He was never given anything to work with; not only did Houston never draft an offensive linemen higher than last year's pair of third-rounders, they never drafted a single skill position player in the first two rounds outside of Andre Johnson. I'm really disappointed in Gary Kubiak. This guy is no genius if he thinks that David Carr was the problem in Houston. Kubiak allegedly worked "magic" with the QBs in Denver (why Shanahan doesn't get any credit, I don't know), but it's certainly much easier to get anyone to produce behind the fantastic offensive lines they always had. Carr has no good options, as far as the teams who are left looking for a QB. Cleveland? Terrible situation, perhaps a tad better offensive line than Houston's, and marginally better WRs and RBs. Oakland? Another pitiful offensive line, and only a disgruntled, underachieving Randy Moss as an offensive weapon. Kansas City? Perhaps the best potential situation, with a strong running game and decent offensive line, but few weapons to throw to beyond Gonzalez and an idiotic coach with little imagination and less patience. Minnesota? Solid offensive line, but virtually no playmakers on offense. Hopefully, David Carr gets a real chance somewhere; if he's given more than two seconds to get rid of the ball, I'm confident that he will show everyone he is a great player.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I haven't been paying attention to NFL news lately; did the Texans cut David Carr? Or is he going to play backup to Schaub?

I'm somewhat perplexed by this trade myself. I neither think it a great move for Schaub, but nor do I think it necessarily a stupid move for the Texans, either, unlike bigunreal. But I do share his concerns: what moves are the Texans making to shore up their offensive line? If they don't improve their o-line, Schaub could end up looking as inept as David Carr, regardless of how good he may actually be.

It'll be interesting to see who the Falcons sign to act as Vick's backup. This trade comes right on the heels of the talking heads nattering that Bobby Petrino was going to shake things up in Atlanta, and maybe even - *gasp* - bench Michael Vick.
smiley36.gif

Kaptain

Master
This move was all about swashing a quarterback controversy and more importantly protecting a black quarterback from being replaced by popular demand by a white quarterback. It's very similar to the Dolphins getting rid of Harrington and the Eagles getting rid of Jeff Garcia. It's a move that shows the entire team their undying loyalty to black quarterbacks. It's definetly not about winning anymore.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
This move was all about swashing a quarterback controversy and more importantly protecting a black quarterback from being replaced by popular demand by a white quarterback. It's very similar to the Dolphins getting rid of Harrington and the Eagles getting rid of Jeff Garcia. It's a move that shows the entire team their undying loyalty to black quarterbacks. It's definetly not about winning anymore.

Wow, I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head, KP. Great observation, really. When you look at these personnel moves, among others, as a whole instead of one at a time you can really see the caste system at work. All of these moves were made to prevent a quarterback controversy.

But they don't have a problem starting one (a QB controversy) where a white quarterback is involved, apparently.
smiley5.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's being rumored in Cleveland that they could pick up Carr and go ahead and draft Adrian Peterson with their #3 pick. I would prefer Brady Quinn.

G

Schaub got a new $48 million dollar contract.........over 6 years. The Texans are REALLY looking dumb right now.<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

White Mike

Guru
I heard Carr could end up in Miami, along with Trent Green. The Dolphins are concerned with Culpeppers durability.

bigunreal

Mentor
Did you hear that the idiotic coach of the Vikings, Brad Childress, basically said he didn't like David Carr on a talk radio show? This clown said that Carr "can't make some of the throws," and reiterated his enthusiastic support for the team's two present quaarterbacks, Tavarious Jackson and Brooks Bollinger. This guy is an NFL coach, and he is happier with those two lame nobodies than with the former top pick in the NFL draft? Childress has assembled what might very well be the worst offense in NFL history. Overpaid, overachieving Chester Taylor as the workhorse back, the pathetic duo of Jackson and Bollinger fighting it out at QB and the most laughable receiving corps in the league. Yet he's not interested in David Carr?

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I hope Carr ends up in Oakland, so we dont have to waste a 1st overall pick on DuhMarcus and we can contrate on our other needs, although Miami would be a nice fit for Carr as well

bigunreal

Mentor
It really appears that no one wants David Carr. Peter King of CNNSI actually wrote that it's not out of the question that Carr never plays pro football again! This is absolutely incredible to me. The state of quarterbacking in the NFL is atrocious; Carr has more raw ability than at least 3/4 of the league's starters and yet no one wants to sign him. Cleveland has joined Minnesota in publicly stating they have no interest in him. Miami seems to have some interest, but they apparently prefer the much older Trent Green, who is coming off an injury-riddled disappointing season. Oakland is suspected to have an interest in Carr, but have said nothing publicly and DeMarcus Russell is still said to be their favorite choice as the #1 overall pick. Most shockingly, Carr is going to visit Seattle next week. Maybe Carr's self-confidence has been shattered to such an extent that he doesn't even see himself as a starting QB any more, and is willing to settle for a backup job. There have been stories on the internet this week about Gary Kubiak's curious style of micromanaging Carr last season. Evidently, Kubiak spent a lot of time in practice staring at Carr's every move, then running up to him and yelling in his face whenever he made a mistake. Perhaps if the "guru" Kubiak has spent a few moments observing the putrid performance of his offensive line, as well as his lackluster receiving corps, he might have done something to help Carr succeed. I truly fear that David Carr is going to go the way of Tim Couch and Cade McNown, two other highly touted, physically gifted QBs who were declared as "busts" by the jock-sniffing media and never given a chance to play anywhere else.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Carr might disappear but I doubt it. He'll get some negative publicity for a while but after a time he'll become the best thing since sliced bread for some team. The way QB's drop every year he just has to be patient. He'll get another shot. It's the same old story for QB's everywhere, unless the team is winning (and not even then for Rex Grossman) the most popular one on the team is the backup.

White Mike

Guru
Tonight on Total Access the were discussing how Lane Kiffin coached David Carr in college and the Raiders have contacted his reps. Also they mentioned Seattle and Carolina showed interest. I would hate to see Carr rot on the bench, hopefully Oakland will give him a chance to compete for starting spot, and pass on JaMarcus.

bigunreal

Mentor
The sad David Carr saga continues. There are now rumblings, according to several fantasy sites, that Carr may actually prefer to be a backup on a team like Seattle or Carolina, instead of competing for a starting job. It is exactly this kind of loser mentality that is responsible for whites being in the situation they are in today in Don King's America. Assuming this speculation is correct, what is Carr thinking? Can you imagine any black athlete of his caliber, especially one that was drafted first overall, who would prefer to be a backup instead of a starter? Maybe all those hits Carr endured, behind the worst offensive line ever assembled by any NFL organization, have effected his thought process.

bigunreal

Mentor
Well, David Carr didn't let me down. Taking a page out of Drew Bennett's inexplicable playbook, he opted to be a backup instead of trying to start for Miami or Oakland, both of whom had a lot of interest in him. The reason being given for his ridiculous decision is that "he didn't want to wait" for the Raiders or Dolphins to act. Huh? How stupid is that? What kind of allegedly competitive player would prefer to be a backup? Absolutely mind-boggling. Also, if he just wanted to sit and learn from someone who might reinvigorate his career, why not choose Seattle instead? At least Mike Holmgren has been known to work pretty well with QBs, whereas Carolina has no offensive guru; Fox is a defensive guy and their offensive coordinator is so unimpressive I can't remember his name. At the very least, why didn't he at least demand some open competition for the starting job in Carolina? Why is it being announced that he is the backup, instead of competing with Delhomme? Does Carr have no pride at all? Carr is superior to Delhomme in every way (arm strength, mobility, size, younger), but in the backwards world of the NFL, he is apparently not considered as talented as Delhomme. I think Carr is a fool for opting to be a backup, but I still wish him the best of luck.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Delhomme is a pretty good QB. It's not a bad move for Carr though, with the rate of injury of NFL QB's the backup on most teams is one hit from starting. If he gets a shot it will be with a team that can play to his strength. Plus he won't be stuck behind some affirmative action QB for life black player. I think you're being a little tough on Carr bigunreal, this may work out for him.