Samuel Giguere-WR Prospect

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks to Jimmy Chitwood for sending me to the info on this awesome player, University of Sherbrooke WR Samuel Giguere. You can read his profile in French here.

[url]http://www.usherbrooke.ca/vertetor/sports_exc/football/align ement/profils/giguiere_samuel05.html [/url]

sam_guigere_web.jpg

This article is linked by DraftDaddy from Yahoo Sports. The thing is that white players like him are not "rare natural athletes," they are all over the place. The problem is that nobody will recruit or play them.

Sherbrooke (Canada) senior wide receiver Samuel Giguere is attracting interest. He finished second in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) with 45 receptions for 871 yards and seven touchdowns, averaging more than 19 yards per catch. He has been timed in the 4.4 range in the 40-yard dash with a career best time of 4.35. Giguere ran 4.41 for me during the workout session of this past spring's East-West Bowl held in Quebec City. He is a rare natural athlete with a 40-inch vertical, 4.14 short shuttle, 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump and has also completed 23 reps of 225 pounds during offseason training. Not subject to NCAA rules, he was able to sign with an agent while still having a year of college eligibility remaining. He signed with well-known CFL agent Darren Gill who has represented Jason Clermont and Chris Bauman, two of the top-rated receivers in recent CFL Draft memory. You could hear Giguere's name among the players assigned to the East-West Shrine Game or another postseason game.

Of course, like Jesse Lumsden, he doesn't really stand a chance at making the NFL no matter how good or athletic he is.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, he's big and fast, i think he has a shot. remember that wide receiver is a little more open for whites than forbidden runningback position.

Gi-15

Mentor
he must be invited to some kind of all-star bowl to have a shot, but I don't think he is known enough to warrant one, even though he is 2nd in receiving yards in the CIS, he doesn't have the star power of a Darryl Stephenson or a Jammal Lee. He is not playing on a team that gets any recognition. Sherbrooke aren't really making progress. I know their coach is an *******, having played against his team in CEGEP(7-8-9th grade here in Quebec). I hope him the best though.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Darryl Stephenson is a RB right? That is probably why, Jesse Lumsden played in the East West Shrine Game and was used sparsely, but he is probably a little better than Stephenson. And we all know what happened with Lumsden in the NFL. This talent was so royally screwed by the Skins that he got a mere one pre-season carry if I recall, but it went for 10 yards I think!
smiley1.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

lumsdenpower

Mentor
He lost 12pounds and is fastest than ever (He already ran once a 4.3 yards dash!!!!!)
He wants to impress at the East Shrine game!Edited by: lumsdenpower

backrow

Hall of Famer
look at the size of thi dude, pics are from East practices before the Shrine game.

F362586.jpg

F362576.jpg

Gi-15

Mentor
Honestly, I'm tempted to say its not all natural, I know plenty of guys in CEGEP who used various performance enhancer to get to University level... There really is no regular testing in Canada, at the end of each season at HS and CEGEP level you get two of your guys randomly tested and that's it. I remember my 2nd CEGEP season, we had this
backup DT who could bench 300 pounds and was raving about what kinds of steroids he was using (what an idiot) and at the end of our 9-1 year, he was selected as the 3rd guy to be tested(in case something happened to the 2 other guys). We were kinda really stressed then, but fortunatly everything went ok with the 2 other guys.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As posted previously in the NFL forum, Samuel did well in the CFL Combine. John Murphy, of Yahoo Sports, reports Sherbrooke WR Samuel Giguere measured a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-3 broad jump at the CFL Combine. He completed 17 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press and is expected to run the 40-yard dash in the low 4.4-second range or better during on-field workouts Sunday, March 16.

backrow

Hall of Famer
it's worth noting that his 42 inches vertical is the highest one recorded this season in North America at any of the pro days or combine!
smiley32.gif

Here is what Black CFL analyst Duane Forde had to say about Giguere in a CFL Draft preview.

Samuel Giguere (6'0", 215, Sherbrooke) is an athletic freak of nature who used his rare combination of size, speed, and strength to finish second in the CIS in receiving and earn a trip to the East West Shrine Game in California. He signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts following the NFL Draft. The knock on Giguere is that he's more of a raw athlete than a refined football player, and that his speed and acceleration are far more evident in straight lines than they are when making cuts.
LinkEdited by: TorontoArgos

white is right

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
Honestly, I'm tempted to say its not all natural, I know plenty of guys in CEGEP who used various performance enhancer to get to University level... There really is no regular testing in Canada, at the end of each season at HS and CEGEP level you get two of your guys randomly tested and that's it. I remember my 2nd CEGEP season, we had this
backup DT who could bench 300 pounds and was raving about what kinds of steroids he was using (what an idiot) and at the end of our 9-1 year, he was selected as the 3rd guy to be tested(in case something happened to the 2 other guys). We were kinda really stressed then, but fortunatly everything went ok with the 2 other guys.
That yolked look doesn't have to be roids. He could be taking metabolite enhancers ie Hydrocuts and other competitors. I do know that there were rumours of roid usage when I played ball back in the 80's, so it's probably gotten worse since.....
smiley5.gif

I see now reason why Giguere couldn't make it on the Colts if he produces. Aferall, they did draft Anthony Gonzalez in the first round in 07. What would that be like to have Gonzo and Giguere both lined up? Should be an interesting preseason.

Let's hope he can stay in this uniform!
14_giguere%5C2008_0517_minicamp_264_hall.jpg