Ruslan Chagaev vs. Nicolay Valuev II

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
It was announced today that Ruslan Chagaev will defend his WBA heavyweight title against, Nicolay Valuev, on May 31 in Germany.

The fight will be promoted by Universum, which won the purse bid over Don King Promotions and Sauerland.

G

Another boring match. I'm starting to see why people watch less boxing now.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
Another boring match. I'm starting to see why people watch less boxing now.

I never find watching white boxers boring! I do find it dull watching two negroes fighting.

Boxing has actually increased in popularity everywhere during the past year, although it had previously been in decline in the US. Fighters like Kelly Pavlik have had a positive effect on the sport in recent months! The second highest paid athlete in the world in 2007 was a boxer, Oscar De La Hoya, although he fought only once.

And boxing is very popular in Germany, partly because of heavyweights like Valuev, Wlad, Vitali, Chagaev and others. Valuev is in fact a household name there!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Valuev is a big draw Germany, no doubt '86. He may actually be one of those guys that is more appreciated live than on tv as his size is something to marvel.

Chagaev has his work cut out for him this time as Valuev will be better prepared for the southpaw stance. Chagaev did not look good in his last fight against Skelton -though he won- and his element of surprise may have worn off.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I agree with JD. I think this time Valuev takes the decision. It could possibly set up a showdown with Wladimir.

G

This match is off.

Chagaev is quickly becoming a big wimp who misses fights.

Again, it is clear why people watch less boxing now.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hold your breath we could be in store for Valuev vs Ruiz II. I think the sequel will be a direct to video release.....
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

referendum

Mentor
Since Valuev is free, maybe he could fight Peters as Peters was looking for a summer fight. Of course Peters wants a sure victory as he is supposed to be fighting Vitali in Sept..

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
This match is off.

Chagaev is quickly becoming a big wimp who misses fights.

Again, it is clear why people watch less boxing now.

No, nevada, it's not that simple.
smiley13.gif

I've seen the photos of Chagaev on fightnews, he's suffered a serious injury.

photos of Chagaev's injury

He's had a lot of bad luck with health problems and injuries, but it's not his fault. The word is, he won't be able to fight for six months to a year. It's very sad, he's a good fighter.

Since Ruslan cannot defend his title for at least the rest of this year, Valuev will be fighting someone else, either for Chagaev's title, or for an interim title.Edited by: JD1986

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:
I agree with JD. I think this time Valuev takes the decision. It could possibly set up a showdown with Wladimir.

Wow
smiley3.gif
I can't believe I typed that.

I think Chagaev will win another clear decision over Valuev. Something in the 116-112 range.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I expect Chagaev to win easily, but I don't care very much about the outcome. It's a bout between one talent-challenged guy in Valuev, who doesn't deserve to be called a champ, and a reasonably talented boxer in Chagaev, whose career has been derailed by injuries.

I'm just looking forward to Klitschko's destruction of Haye.

DempseyRoll

Boring fight? Perhaps bitter Afro-American? They might not be the best of the HW division but they are better than any "Superman" black HW out there. Klitschko brothers rule the division, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I wan't see what this Kauffman lad is all about because there is no doubt in my mind the white heaveys will keep comming out of eastern europe.

Oh, Hello Castefootball!!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Chagaev is a legit and talented fighter. He comes into fights a little out of shape and could be even better if he was more serious about boxing. Valuev shouldn't even be champion anymore after his horibble performance against Holyfield.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
DempseyRoll said:
 Boring fight? Perhaps bitter Afro-American? They might not be the best of the HW division but they are better than any "Superman" black HW out there. Klitschko brothers rule the division, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I wan't see what this Kauffman lad is all about because there is no doubt in my mind the white heaveys will keep comming out of eastern europe.
<div> </div>
<div>Oh, Hello Castefootball!!</div>

Welcome to Castefootball!
smiley20.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The fight has been cancelled. Rumors are that Chagaev has hepatitis again. Very disappointing.Edited by: Liverlips

white is right

Hall of Famer
Supposedly Meehan or Brewster could have stepped in but the promoters thought the negotiations would be too involved for 24 hours notice. I wish either one had got the shot against the big guy.
smiley11.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Contrary to earlier reports, the entire card has not been cancelled, just the main event and the Meehan fight.

The most interesting fight on the card is still on: Helenius vs. Gammer. This is a big step up for the Finnish heavyweight prospect.