Rest In Peace - Gerrie Coetzee

white lightning

Hall of Famer
May he rest in peace. Yes far too young to die. Gerrie Coetzee was a very talented boxer. God bless him and his family.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Same age as I am, too soon to die. Rest in Peace.

He was the first White heavyweight champion since Ingo but was never given much credit by the media. Maybe it was because he was a foreigner or because he was too classy and quiet. He was quite the puncher who had a stand up style his unification fight against Larry Holmes fell through because another boxing charlatan(Harold Smith) was financing the fight with no real financial backing.

I seem to recall he worked as a dental assistant after his career, he also lime lighted as a promoter for a short bit and fought the broke and obese Iran Barkley to save a card after Barkley's opponent fell through. Sad news...

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
I remember watching his KO over Spinks. I'd call him the 2nd best South African heavy after Corrie Sanders.

A match between them would have been something.

booth

Mentor
Gerrie Coetzee was a hero of mine. The night he beat Michael Dokes was one of the greatest days to be a white man in the U.S. Many experts and sports people, in general, didn't think they would ever be another White HW champion. He proved them wrong. R.I.P.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, great guy. He was a dental technician by trade. He once said he would make teeth during the day, and knock them out at night.