Real Chance???

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Kyle Bell can have a real chance in nfl?

he have a great shape..

for his speed i dont know how he make for the 40yards..?You Know?

He is better then Jessee Lumsden????

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
If he can stay healthy and put up 2 more big years, I'm sure there is a chance he will get drafted. But actually staying on the team through training camp, and then to maybe get some carries or have a shot at being a starter, well, that is a different story...

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Although I understand why Staley went pro, I was really hoping that he would stay for his senior year and get healthy.. but I guess that's just how it goes...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I see Kyle possibly leading the nation in rushing in his last two years.He needs to at least be in the top 5 for the nfl scouts to take notice.He might want to do some speed work in the off season to get even quicker.The stupid nfl is all about 40 yard dash times which have very little to do with how good you can be.E.Smith is the all time leading rusher and he is a 4.55-4.6 guy.Kyle is way faster and just as powerful a runner.

Spooge

Guru
Kyle will go the way of all white NFL running backs in the trash
can. Unfortunately the NFL is not in business to play white
running backs period. If Kyle puts on some more weight he may
have a shot at being the blocking back for a brother. Sorry but
that is the way it is so don't get your hopes up cause it aint
gonna happen. NO WHITE RUNNING BACKS IN THE NFL!

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, someone has got to break this trend... guys like Bell, Leonard, Hillis (he'll get converted to H-Back probably) and Lumsden, they will eventually push hard enough for NFL to notice... at least i hope so...

backrow

Hall of Famer
the bottom paragraph of your post, Hollywood might be the smartest thing i've read recently, good job

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with Hollywood north too.Great post.The good thing is that Kyle Bell is only going to be a junior next year and Leonard a senior.They both can still prove quite alot with their remaining college eligibility.Good luck to both of them as they try to pave the way for the upcoming white h.s. and college running backs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but there have always been some white receivers, linebackers, and until very recently at least, a white RB or twoin the NFL. In a sense, Ed McCaffrey, Wayne Chrebet and Patrick Jeffers "begat" Stokley, Curtis and Bennett, but do you think anything's really changed? To the extent any of these guysget respect, it's as "exceptions that prove the rule" of black athletic superiority.

There has to bea massive change in attitude and recruiting practices when it comes to white athletes before you see any changes of substance in football. The Caste System has reached a comfort level as far as the racial makeup of positions go in football and has been there for quite a while. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but one only has to look at how Stokley was "disappeared" this year, Bennett was no longer used as a deep threat after being unstoppable in '04, and Curtis wasn't allowed to start over Bruce, to see that nothing's changed. Also, Lumsden, Forsey and Kretschmer wereall purged before the season even started. The NFL doesn't mind a star white LB or three and a few white receivers who get the ball, but that's still as far as it goes. If Hass and Samardjiza are successful as pros, they too will be compared to and seen as Stokley and Bennett (or Proehl and McCaffrey) -- rare successful whites at a black position.

whiteCB

Master
Yeah Don I agree its definitly an uphill battle. It's going to take all these white LBs getting drafted this year to be impact players and win Defensive rookie MVP just for starters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Last year we were excited aboutan influx oftalented defensive ends coming into the NFL. Well, Dan Cody went on IR in training camp, Matt Roth was barely used by the Dolphins, and David Pollock was switched to linebacker. There's a smallinflux of very talented linebackers in '06 over most years, butwhether they stay healthy andwhether they're given opportunities are different questions. Plus, there's 32 teams in the league, it's going to take noticeable white influxes at LB, WR, DL and other "black positions" for years at a time to begin to make a difference in the racial composition of the NFL, and that's not going to happen until there are big changes in the way white high school football players are recruited by I-A programs.

sunshine

Mentor
Don hits the nail on the head. The biggest obstacle is changing things from the ground up ie high school, college and even pre high school. Things have been roughly the same for some odd years now.A kind of give a dog a bone once in a while thing--a smattering of wide receivers but no cornerbacks etc... But the overall composition of teams generally fit the stereotype. As for the rookie class my two biggest disppointment include Dan Cody tearing his ACL before the season and the slow progress of Alex Smith. There is a long way to go and frankly I see no signs of some noteworthy change.

backrow

Hall of Famer
COdy and another great white player, LB for Falcons Beck were both on IR... so was receiver Fleck (49ers)...

JD074

Master
hollywoodnorth1 said:
Coaches are predictable, they are relatively uneducated people that operate on simplistic mental processing : trend-following. If coach hears that blacks are fast, then coach signs blacks, If coach hears whites can be good LBs, coach signs white LBs. Coaches/Media/Scouts are creatures of habit and stereotype, so a positive white stereotype is needed to sway their opinions.

I agree. Sports, like many aspects of life, is about status. If you gain status, you gain respect. White players, at certain positions, have basically zero status. Therefore, no respect. Basically we need a pioneer: an exceptional white RB that breaks through in the NFL and makes that path a little bit easier for anyone who tries to follow in his footsteps. It would set a precedent for a white player to have status, and to be respected, at that position (like Urlacher at the LB position.) He would also serve as a role model for young white athletes.

Jeremy Wariner is one of the better examples of an athletic type of white athlete who must be respected no matter how inconvenient he may be to the prevailing system. Of course, football isn't track. It'll be so much harder for an exceptional white RB to break through than a sprinter- just ask DIII champ, Andrew Rock. How many DIII white football players ever get a chance at the NFL?

Of course, Don makes a great point, too.

Edited by: JD074

I have done extensive research on the incomming class of freshman... it looks like whites are loosing ground in the offensive guard position however possible making inroads into the tight end and offensive tackel postiions. It is also notable that there are very few top ranked white WR's and CB's and RB's comming in.... At the various linebacker positions things remain about the same comming into 06.

Given these details concerning the incomming freshman, I personally feel that white kids tend to mature a bit slower then black kids meaning that there are a great number of "sleepers" out there... Especially at the Offensive Guard position. Most white players that make it big were not highly rated comming out of high school... Example being the WR's of the year this year Haas...

But there is very very good news on one front... about 3/4 RUNNING QB's comming into college this year are white... This represents an opportunity for whites to showcase some running tallent. With this maybe white kids will believe theycan...

The man who thinks that he can and the man who thinks that he cant are both right

backrow

Hall of Famer
good post oc... i just wish more coaches gave whites even opportunity to compete for starting spots at all positions...

JD074

Master
OC football said:
Most white players that make it big were not highly rated comming out of high school...

Yeah, but that's not because of maturation rates. Whites may very well mature a little later, but this is about white athletes who are ready being ignored by DI head coaches and recruiting services. They simply don't want white players at certain positions, period.