RB-Ryan Swope

SteveB

Mentor
Another white high school junior RB has emerged this season from powerhouse Austin Westlake. Ryan Swope is 6'0" and 187 lbs and has been timed as fast as 4.32 in the 40. There are some videos of him on Rivals and he doesn't have the burst of Mcguffie, but once he gets to top speed, he outruns angles. He also seems to be a physical runner for his size.

His stats for the year,119 rushes for 1079 yds (9 ypc) and 14 TDs, 19 rec for 351 yds and 5 TDs. According to Rivals he is being recruited by Texas, Texas Tech, Iowa, Notre Dame, and Boston College.

Here is a story about his game this past Friday:Swope scores 5 TDs

RYANSWOPE07N10150.JPG
Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He runs a 4.3 in the 40! Holy fricking cow. That is awesome. I hope alot of these white running backs start to pan out and make a difference in the coming years. I want to see these kids play on Saturdays and eventually star on Sundays.

SteveB

Mentor
In the final regular season game, Swope rolls with 8 rushes for 105 yds (13 ypc) and 3 rec for 159 yds (53 yd/rec!!) and 2 TDs. Here's to a big playoff run.

SteveB

Mentor
Swope goes for 127 yds on 21 carries, but it wasn't enough as Westlake loses in the first round of the playoffs. We'll keep an eye on Ryan next year.

SteveB

Mentor
Ryan Swope committed early to Texas A&M this week. Although I am happy that the Aggies got Swope, Sherman has definitely gone blacker in recruiting players. Ironically, Texas, who has always recruited mostly black players, is snatching up many of the top white skill players in the state.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
Ryan Swope committed early to Texas A&M this week. Although I am happy that the Aggies got Swope, Sherman has definitely gone blacker in recruiting players. Ironically, Texas, who has always recruited mostly black players, is snatching up many of the top white skill players in the state.

Steve, do you know if the kid is staying put at RB or being moved to his appropiate caste position?

SteveB

Mentor
Swope ran a 10.68 sec 100m this past weekend at the Round Rock McNeil Relays. He is up to around 200 lbs, so that is very fast for a high schooler of his size.

SteveB

Mentor
Swope continues to impress this track season. He won the 100m in 10.56 sec, 200m in 21.93 sec, Long Jump at 22'7 3/4", and anchored the winning sprint relay team at his district meet. He qualifies for the regionals in all 4 events.

SteveB

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Wow this kid is fast! Sam McGuffie's PB in the 100 Meters is supposedly 10.86. Swope's best is 10.56! WOW!
smiley32.gif

Ryan qualified for the Texas state championship track meet, which will be next weekend. He will be the only white runner in the 5A 100 meters (out of eight runners). He has established himself as one of the fastest kids in Texas.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Swope comes in at #38 in the recent Scout.com RB rankings! This kid should be in the top 10 or 15 RBs in the nation, but at least Scout.com hasn't completely ignored him like "CaucasianRivals.com" will. Down with Rivals and their Black Panther Party!
smiley11.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Scout has Swope committed to Texas A&M

SteveB

Mentor
Ryan was 5th in the 5A 100m dash today with a 10.70. Great job and good luck with the Aggies.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
Ryan was 5th in the 5A 100m dash today with a 10.70. Great job and good luck with the Aggies.

SteveB what are the Aggies plans for him position wise? You know how it is a star white RB in high school gets a full ride from one of these big time programs and then must move to safety or WR.

SteveB

Mentor
whiteCB said:
SteveB what are the Aggies plans for him position wise? You know how it is a star white RB in high school gets a full ride from one of these big time programs and then must move to safety or WR.
What I have heard is that Coach Sherman told him that he would try him at RB first to see how he would work out. If it didn't work out, then he could be a WR or S. Sherman has already moved Jordan Peterson from CB to S this Spring, so it probably doesn't look good for Swope at RB. It is really hard to tell at this point, as Sherman hasn't recruited alot of RBs in this class. We shall see.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
whiteCB said:
What I have heard is that Coach Sherman told him that he would try him at RB first to see how he would work out. If it didn't work out, then he could be a WR or S. Sherman has already moved Jordan Peterson from CB to S this Spring, so it probably doesn't look good for Swope at RB. It is really hard to tell at this point, as Sherman hasn't recruited alot of RBs in this class. We shall see.

Are you f*ckin sh*ttin' me SteveB? They moved Jordan Peterson to Safety! Man that is some b.s. I've said it before and I'll say it again. White HBs and Cbs have the slimmest margin of error on the field. Perhaps in all of sports. Their leash is so short that any f*ck up of any sorts will result in a position change. I cannot trust Coach Sherman's staff to let Swope play HB. They'll switch him to WR or safety before he even begins his sophomore year.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
That is the absolute truth WhiteCB. You hit it right on the head. Tom Lemming and Don Bebee as well as Tony Dungy in a similar form, have stated that white skill position players have to do more than the black kids to be accepted.

Just look at the case of Brian Leonard. He starts 3 games with 3 or 4 O-line starters out and Issac Bruce and Marc Bulger injured which caused an anemic passing counter attack to keep Ds honest. Leonard runs for 100+ yards on 5.3 YPC in one game, but struggles in the two others. I saw quotes from a few journalists at the end of the year when Leonard finished with a 3.5 YPC average, that "Leonard clearly proved he is more of a FB."
Did they say the same for Brandon Jackson who ran for 3.6 YPC on the season in good Green Bay offenses and was a later pick than Leonard?

Here is an example of how many fans already view Leonard, I saw this in a blog online:

"Contrary to popular thought, Brian Leonard was not the answer for the Rams. A popular waiver wire pick this past week, Leonard did not start on his own team in college and is unlikely to be anything more than a backup in the NFL."
http://www.roto-world.com/2007/10/insights-from-week-4-in-nf l.html

A footballsfuture.com poster told me that my idea that Leonard could become an above average starting RB in the NFL was "laughable".

Give me a break, the guy is in his rookie season and played for an offense decimated by injuries, but he has already lost his respect!

Or look at Kevin Curtis, he gets more receiving yards than any WR that Donovan McNabb has thrown to other than Terrell Owens, yet the media and fans find a way to malign him. I have talked to so many Eagle's fans that say
"we have to find McNabb some real receivers!"
Or
"no wonder McNabb is struggling with the wide receivers we have!"

Or quotes I've seen or heard from the media:

"Kevin Curtis is not consistent"
"he (Curtis) doesn't scare you" (Tony Kornheiser)
"he's a good third WR" (Deion Sanders).

I mean give me a break! And it's supposedly the black QB that is under more scrutiny right Donovan?Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

SteveB

Mentor
PROVO, Utah - The campus at Brigham Young University is 1,400 miles away from Austin, Texas. But for three-star athlete Ryan Swope of Austin Westlake, it was more like home sweet home.

Swope, a 6-foot-1, 197-pound athlete that's committed to Texas A&M already, blew away anybody he faced Saturday at the final NIKE Training Camp of the season. Whether it was in blocking drills, bag work or in the one-on-ones, Swope was simply scintillating.

He opened up the one-on-ones with a long touchdown reception when he beat the helpless linebacker by more than five yards. He then had another big grab later when he beat the linebacker by almost 10 yards, had to dodge a position coach and then hurdle a cooler full of water at the end of the field. He did all that without breaking stride.

"I love running that streak route, which was that first route I got open on," Swope said about his early success in the one-on-ones. "I really try to utilize my speed as much as I can. I mean those defenders were great, they were good players over there playing good defense, but I just tried to get off to a good start and go from there."

Swope said he came all the way from the Lone Star State to see if he can improve his ranking with Rivals.com and he wanted to test himself against quality players.

"I just thought it would be a good time to come out here and compete against the best guys in the country," he said. "I came out here and gave 110 percent like I knew I would. I've worked hard to get to this point. It doesn't just come naturally. It's a lot of hard work and it pays off. I had a lot of fun doing it."

"A&M has told me a couple of things. They've told me slot receiver, even a third-down back where I can take it on draws and sweeps. Even the defensive coaches are fighting over me, too. Hopefully I'll find some special teams play there, too. I just want to get there and help the team as much as I can no matter what position I play." - athlete Ryan Swope on how Texas A&M plans to use him in college.

johnnyboy

Guru
SteveB said:
PROVO, Utah - The campus at Brigham Young University is 1,400 miles away from Austin, Texas. But for three-star athlete Ryan Swope of Austin Westlake, it was more like home sweet home.

Swope, a 6-foot-1, 197-pound athlete that's committed to Texas A&M already, blew away anybody he faced Saturday at the final NIKE Training Camp of the season. Whether it was in blocking drills, bag work or in the one-on-ones, Swope was simply scintillating.

He opened up the one-on-ones with a long touchdown reception when he beat the helpless linebacker by more than five yards. He then had another big grab later when he beat the linebacker by almost 10 yards, had to dodge a position coach and then hurdle a cooler full of water at the end of the field. He did all that without breaking stride.

"I love running that streak route, which was that first route I got open on," Swope said about his early success in the one-on-ones. "I really try to utilize my speed as much as I can. I mean those defenders were great, they were good players over there playing good defense, but I just tried to get off to a good start and go from there."

Swope said he came all the way from the Lone Star State to see if he can improve his ranking with Rivals.com and he wanted to test himself against quality players.

"I just thought it would be a good time to come out here and compete against the best guys in the country," he said. "I came out here and gave 110 percent like I knew I would. I've worked hard to get to this point. It doesn't just come naturally. It's a lot of hard work and it pays off. I had a lot of fun doing it."

"A&M has told me a couple of things. They've told me slot receiver, even a third-down back where I can take it on draws and sweeps. Even the defensive coaches are fighting over me, too. Hopefully I'll find some special teams play there, too. I just want to get there and help the team as much as I can no matter what position I play." - athlete Ryan Swope on how Texas A&M plans to use him in college.

i liked everything except for the last paragraph where Swope does the "it's all about the team" quote. yeah, in a perfect world its all about the team but if he wants to be anything but another talented white hb who gets turned into a college blocking back, he better learn to look out for number one. why in the world would he play defense when he's such a great offensive weapon? Ryan needs to look out for his football career's best interests. if he doesn't start by his sophmore year, transfer to Colorado St or BYU and showcase your skill.

SteveB

Mentor
Swope has had a disappointing senior season so far. Austin Westlake is 2-4 and Ryan has been battling a thigh injury. He is still one of the rushing leaders in Central Texas with 709 yds on 113 carries (6.27 ypc, down from last year's 9 ypc) with 6 TDs. Last night he had a good game with 183 rushing yds and 3 TDs. Edited by: SteveB

whiteCB

Master
I hope bad luck this season doesn't jeopardize Swope's offer from Texas A&M.