RB -- Mike Trumpy

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
You're right!
He has good vision and change of direction, and unlike a lot of prospects posted here, he has size.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Latest: Trumpy adds his third offer â€â€￾ 3/12/2008

He also made an unofficial visit to Wisconsin.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Deadlift, the link doesn't work.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Yeah, sorry, it wasn't intended as a link (on my part).

The headline is from his Rivals Profile (that can be accessed at the top of this thread) and it only links to a few sentences unless one is a subscriber. That's where I learned about his unofficial to UW.

I was getting curious at which teams have offered him (and I'm sure other people are curious as well), so I just checked out Scout.

http://hsillinois.scout.com/a.z?s=220&p=8&c=1&nid=3631548

It has decent info. It says Stanford and Northwestern have offered him. The 3rd offer could be from Northern Illinois; a team on his Rivals profile but not on his Scout one.

From his Scout Biography:

Rushed for 1,664 yards and 19 touchdowns as a junior. Also participates in track and tied a state record in the 55m high hurdles with a time of 7.4

Scout lists his 40 at 4.49.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Stanford or Northwestern would probably give him the best shot at running the ball, but NIU might. I'd rather see him running in a big conference though.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I wonder if he is related to Bob Trumpy who played tight end for the Bengals in the 70s?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bob Trumpy isMike's uncle, jacknyc.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The problem is, it is the same white friendly schools that offer these kids. Northwestern and Stanford have high academic standards, but already have good white RB prospects in Alex Daniel and Toby Gerhart respectively.

I would rather see the white talent split up, so a white doesn't get buried behind a white on the depth chart. And it is also unlikely to ever have 1 and 2 on the depth chart at RB both white even at white friendly schools, just looks racist to those damn drunken white fans and cultural Marxists. We are a 70% white country you idiots, so how is that racist!
smiley11.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Trumpy to Northwestern.

Northwestern usually has decent White-dominated O-Lines, so he'll have a chance to flash his brilliance.

White Power

Mentor
Is his dad the one that does the NFL broadcast on westwood one radio network? If so could that be the reason he was recruited when so many others sre not just wondering.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It's more than his name that's for sure. Mike Trumpy is an amazing prospect. He's got that jaw dropping agility, vision and similar speed to Sam McGuffie, but with less burst. He breaks tackles well to boot. Mike Trumpy and Brandon Wegher should both be in the Rivals 100 as RBs in a fair world.

I'd say Tyler Gaffney should probably be in the Rivals 100 too (of course as a RB) although I haven't watched Tyler's highlights yet (I'm just going on the fact that he's ranked so high by these white hating scouts and has the measurables and stats against tough competition).

In the top 250 at RB should be Hunter Furr, Ryan Swope, Huldon Tharp and maybe Tyler Tabor, Nick Gerst and Shane McCullen based on their impressive production against top competition, highlights and athletic measurments! That would be what I call caste free recruiting!

I haven't watched Alex Scyocurka yet and I see Mike Campanaro as a CB.

All of us have to be on the lookout for more top prospects at RB, WR and CB who have at least two of these three things that stand out (elite production, athletic measurements and/or highlights) A prospect with two of three has to be considered by us as a legit player!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Here's ESPN's "evaluation" of Mike:

Trumpy might not be overly flashy, but this kid is darn productive and should continue moving the football at the next level. Built low to the ground and compact. Shifty between the tackles and shows good vision picking and sliding through the initial traffic while keeping forward progress. Can make you miss with good jump-cut ability, lateral quickness and body control but is most productive when he attacks the line of scrimmage, makes one move and heads north-south. Generates good initial speed and squares up his shoulder pads quickly out of his cuts allowing him to run with added power and break through arm tackles. Runs hard and is slippery to wrap up with his low center of gravity, good balance and consistent leg drive. While he flashes an extra gear when he breaks free into the second level, he does lack great top-end speed and could have trouble separating against faster Division 1 defensive backs. Displays sound vision and elusiveness in the openfield but is not overly sudden through traffic and tends to gear down when cutting. Flashes difficulty sliding through the small cutback creases. More of a one-cut slasher but could struggle maintaining his yards after contact production at the next level; can run high and physically does not offer great upside. Level of competition is a bit of concern.Bottom line, Trumpy is a complete back on the film we viewed and could develop into a high-carry runner at the next level if featured in more of a two-back power-running scheme.

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?rec ruitId=59383&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f %2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer %3frecruitId%3d59383%26season%3d2009 [/url]

I hope Trumpy maintains his health and has a big senior campaign.

He certainly has more ability than ESPN gives him credit for.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
His highlight video on Youtube.com is great! Trumpy was a great find Deadlift, kudos! Whoever put together the highlight tape did a great job showcasing him. Every good juke he pulls on the video they slow it down and show it 3 times in slow motion. He makes a lot of tacklers grab air. His jukes are highly effective as he is quite the slasher.

This will keep intelligent football fans from being fooled by Luginbill's caste evaluations. Luginbill always puts in the arbitrary "there isn't much wiggle", "has trouble putting together multiple moves", "is a straight-lined guy" etc. on "every single" white RB. Who ever has to put together more than two moves at once anyway? If you do more than two jukes at once you are dancing and that will get you nowhere.

SteveB

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Who ever has to put together more than two moves at once anyway? If you do more than two jukes at once you are dancing and that will get you nowhere.
Good point. College players are much faster than in high school. If the RB is dancing around in the open field, he is going to get smacked by a pursuing LB or safety.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
And the way Luginbill has worded it other times makes even less sense. He says unable to put together "multiple moves in an instant". I could maybe "very rarely" see a stutter step move that works where you do a little step or head fake in one direction than cut the other direction a little and then quickly cut back the other way, but that is very rare that any player can do that quickly enough. Plus it would be a rare fake even for a player that could do it. Usually almost anyone that does that will risk getting hit from behind from a LB or safety.

Luginbill's evaluations often don't make sense to me. And he always says about white RBs "has to gear down some to make his cuts". There are virtually no players even in the NFL that have "ever started" that don't gear down a little to cut. I can think of two, Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers and that's it period!Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
And the way Luginbill has worded it other times makes even less sense. He says unable to put together "multiple moves in an instant". I could maybe "very rarely" see a stutter step move that works where you do a little step or head fake in one direction than cut the other direction a little and then quickly cut back the other way, but that is very rare that any player can do that quickly enough. Plus it would be a rare fake even for a player that could do it. Usually almost anyone that does that will risk getting hit from behind from a LB or safety.

Luginbill's evaluations often don't make sense to me. And he always says about white RBs "has to gear down some to make his cuts". There are virtually no players even in the NFL that have "ever started" that don't gear down a little to cut. I can think of two, Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers and that's it period!

That's exactly it!!

These (Caste) "evaluations" try VERY HARD to say that these White players aren't "superhuman" but... they then say the opposite for "you know who."

How could they not? Whether it's Rivals or ESPN, they can't give the "superhumans" super-high ratings and then list a bunch of weaknesses. It's like these sites are almost trying to "guarantee" success for the athletes. But, reality doesn't work that way. I can't tell you HOW MANY 4-star and 5-star "athletes" couldn't cut it in College.

DRUNK WHITE FAN asks: "What about those that got injured?"

I RESPOND: "Were they described as 'lacking durability' (as so many White players are described) in their EVALUATION?"

(Silence....)

No, they were described as LITERALLY being able to walk on water.

As for Trumpy: What we are seeing is not the finished product. He'll get the "refinement" that he needs, especially when running to the outside.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I found a great Mike Trumpy article at Yourseason.com by Taylor Bell of the Chicago Sun Times, the writer of a couple of our old favorite articles on white RB discrimination:
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

Wheaton North running back Mike Trumpy rushed for 1,664 yards and 19 touchdowns as a junior last fall.
Wheaton N. star finds the right fit at Northwestern, just as he'd hoped
April 26, 2008 BY TAYLOR BELL

<snip>
Northwestern has been my favorite since last fall, and nothing has happened to change my mind.''

The 6-foot, 200-pound junior, a nephew of former Illinois and NFL tight end Bob Trumpy, also got scholarship offers from Stanford, Vanderbilt, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Miami of Ohio and Eastern Michigan. Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee, Colorado, Louisville, Georgia Tech and all the Big Ten and Mid-American Conference schools expressed interest.

Mike Trumpy did his due diligence. He visited several schools, heard dozens of sales pitches, compared Brand A to Brand B to Brand C and said the recruiting process wasn't as much of a distraction as it was for other players.

''I'm ready,'' he said. ''Why wait?''

Why Northwestern?

''From the beginning, I knew what kind of a program I wanted â€â€￾ great academics, great athletics, great people in the program and a chance to play early,'' Trumpy said. ''Academics is my No. 1 thing. Northwestern is a top-15 school. I want to major in business, to prepare for life after football. And I think Northwestern will help me to do that.

''I went to other schools to see if Northwestern was the right fit. I'm not looking for anything else. I've made my commitment, and I don't plan to change my mind. I would never de-commit. You should keep your word.''

One coach told Trumpy he was one of the top five running backs in the country. He wasn't impressed.

''Some people tell you what you want to hear,'' he said. ''I know I am not one of the top five right now, but I want to prove I can be in college. I want to prove that I am a four-star running back, no matter what the recruiting services say.''

He has been very impressed with Mick McCall, the Wildcats' new offensive coordinator.

In fact, it was Adamle who tipped off Fitzgerald to Trumpy's ball-carrying skills. Fitzgerald sent then-assistant Eric Washington, now with the Bears, to scout Trumpy during Wheaton North's loss to Glenbard North. Trumpy rushed for 234 yards and two touchdowns. Washington's verdict? Trumpy has what it takes to play in the Big Ten.

Trumpy thinks he is a good fit for NU's offensive system. The Wildcats have produced nine 1,000-yard rushers since 1995. With five tailbacks on the current roster â€â€￾ seniors Tyrell Sutton and Omar Conteh, sophomore Stephen Simmons and redshirt freshmen Scott Concannon and Jacob Schmidt â€â€￾ Trumpy thinks he has a good opportunity to see playing time sooner than later.

Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said Trumpy has all the qualities to be a Big Ten running back and reminds him of former Hinsdale Central star Brian Musso, who also played at NU.

''He is explosive and has great speed and great running instincts,'' Lemming said. ''He is a natural at the tailback position.''

Last fall, playing for a 5-5 team in arguably the most competitive conference in the state, Trumpy was named to the Sun-Times All-Area team and led the DuPage Valley by rushing for 1,664 yards and 19 touchdowns. He averaged seven yards per carry and stood out against Class 8A champion Naperville North (178 yards), 8A runner-up Glenbard North (234) and 7A runner-up Wheaton Warrenville South (161).

Trumpy also is an outstanding hurdler on Wheaton North's highly rated track and field squad. He has been timed in 4.5 seconds for 40 yards, 10.7 seconds for 100 meters and 14.28 seconds for the 100-meter high hurdles, the third-fastest time in the state this spring. In the Proviso West indoor meet in February, he was timed in 7.4 seconds in the 55-meter high hurdles to tie Olympian Greg Foster's record.

Lemming said the commitments of Trumpy and Glenbard North quarterback Evan Watkins might trigger a new era in NU recruiting.

''Northwestern is making its presence felt in Chicago,'' Lemming said. ''They are making a statement that they can recruit successfully against Illinois, Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa in the area.''

<snip>

The entire article can be found here:
[url]http://yourseason.suntimes.com/football/917404,042608trumpy1 .article[/url]
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------

If you ask me; Trumpy is underestimating himself. He may not be a 5 star back, but he's very close; and to me is a Rivals 100 caliber prospect. But Rivals and ESPN have him ranked virtually the same as the overrated Brad Rogers and other rather pedestrian black RBs.

At least Tom Lemming has come around a little bit the last couple years, now that he knows his job is so secure; to give props to a white tailback or two per year. This year it's only Brandon Wegher now at #11 and Trumpy at #25 the last time I checked in his entire top 30; but that's still far better than Rivals and Black Power ESPN w/ that pathological liar Tom Luginbill.

Lemming also has both Rex Burkhead and Michael Campanaro toward the bottom of his top 30 arbitrarily as "Athletes"; but no Ryan Swope? Come on Lemming, step it up and stop being the Lemming that you are; we know you've been around long enough in recruiting circles to know the truth behind the disappearance of the white RB.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Trumpy has run a 10.83 100m and 14.42 110m hurdles, so far this year.
Those times rank him #10 in Illinois in the 100m, and #1 in the hurdles.