Rashad v Griffin in title bout

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Rashad Evans granted title shot with Forrest Griffin

Interesting.

Beating Chuck didn't get Keith Jardine a title shot.

And where do Lyoto Machida and Thiago Tavares fit into the picture, both of whom are also undefeated?

Dan Henderson fought two titles fights back to back, in different weight classes. Randy Couture was defeated at LHW, but immediately got a title fight when he moved up to HW. Why doesn't Rich Frankling get first crack at the LHW title after moving up a weight class?

It's ironic that the last guy to beat or draw with both Forrest and Rashad is no longer even in the UFC: Tito Ortiz. If these two are fighting for the title, maybe Tito is still better than I thought.Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
Evans gets a title shot and Houston Alexander gets a five fight deal.

Dana White likes to think he's some sort of maverick businessman but in reality he is just another caste toady.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I am quickly losing interest in MMA.

guest301

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:

You are sure being very pessimistic lately in your posts, MMA is fine and white fighters on average will always be dominant in that sport. I like to think so anyway otherwise I would lose interest as well.

G

They were going to let Liddell fight Griffin for the 205 belt, which made even less sense. So when Evans won, they gave him the match instead.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
They were going to let Liddell fight Griffin for the 205 belt, which made even less sense. So when Evans won, they gave him the match instead.

I know. And I thought that was bullsh*t, too.

This is one of the reasons I'm losing interest in MMA. Chuck is 1-2 in his last three fights, yet he was getting a title shot over the likes of Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Quinton Jackson, or even Rich Franklin? Rashad deserved a title shot before Chuck BEFORE he knocked Chuck out.

Same thing with Couture fighting Lesnar for the HW title. What the hell happned to Nog and Mir? Mir just beat Lesnar.. but Lesnar gets the title shot? WTF?

White Shogun said:

So was I. Until Griffin defeated that clown Jackson last month in a pretty good fight. I'm still awaiting Fedor's arrival in the UFC, but no one seems to know when that day will come. I guess PRIDE just has the better fighters as well as the bigger payroll.

G

MMA has never been more exciting.

So many good new fighters getting into the sport.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
nevada said:

I know. And I thought that was bullsh*t, too.

This is one of the reasons I'm losing interest in MMA. Chuck is 1-2 in his last three fights, yet he was getting a title shot over the likes of Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, Quinton Jackson, or even Rich Franklin? Rashad deserved a title shot before Chuck BEFORE he knocked Chuck out.

Same thing with Couture fighting Lesnar for the HW title. What the hell happned to Nog and Mir? Mir just beat Lesnar.. but Lesnar gets the title shot? WTF?

There is a lot of truth though to how it is becoming a huge money making scheme rather than giving the title shots to the best fighters, I agree WS. Lidell was by no means the top contender even if he beats Rashad Evans. Chuck still would have lost 2 of his last 4 fights.

I do honestly hope Fedor comes to UFC, he would tear SH up. No one could touch Fedor right now at Heavyweight. Some light Heavy weights would have to move up to try their luck and they would lose too b/c they don't have the strength of Fedor even if they have close to the quickness. Fedor is the only man that seems almost unbeatable in a sport where no one is supposed to be unbeatable.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
White Shogun said:

So was I. Until Griffin defeated that clown Jackson last month in a pretty good fight. I'm still awaiting Fedor's arrival in the UFC, but no one seems to know when that day will come. I guess PRIDE just has the better fighters as well as the bigger payroll.

Bro..you know that Pride is gone, right? The UFC bought Pride and shut it down. That's how Nog, Herring, Rampage, Wanderlei, et al all ended up in the UFC. There is no Pride payroll.

And Pride fighters haven't been fairing too well in the UFC anyway...

white is right

Hall of Famer
Pride fighter have lost their "edge". If you notice that they are much smaller and flabbier than they were in Japan. Pride as far as I know never tested for PED's. Get off steroids and your body is off kilter for a long time.

White Shogun said:
Bro..you know that Pride is gone, right? The UFC bought Pride and shut it down.

For real? Damn. Between work and everything else in my life I haven't really had time to follow MMA that much recently. I have to get back into the loop again.

Here's some advice for you guys:

Stay single for as long as you can. Relationships occupy entirly too much of one's personal time.
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Amen Groundfighter and all the needless drama that goes with it.
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
YOshad doesn't deserve a title shot yet, so it's just pro-caste marketing by White/UFC. However, I hope my fellow Georgian demolishes big mouth YOshad.

GF, that cut into personal/leisure time is compounded once married and increases greatly with each child...but (in the end) it's all worth it!
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
YOshad doesn't deserve a title shot yet, so it's just pro-caste marketing by White/UFC. However, I hope my fellow Georgian demolishes big mouth YOshad.

GF, that cut into personal/leisure time is compounded once married and increases greatly with each child...but (in the end) it's all worth it!
smiley2.gif

Don't take this as a insult, Dixie. But you and Pres. Bush have something in common, both of you guys love to give people nicknames. Yoshad?
smiley36.gif
Trust me that is the only comparison I will ever make between you and our esteemed President.
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
DixieDestroyer said:

smiley2.gif

Don't take this as a insult, Dixie. But you and Pres. Bush have something in common, both of you guys love to give people nicknames. Yoshad?
smiley36.gif
Trust me that is the only comparison I will ever make between you and our esteemed President.
smiley2.gif

No insult taken partner. I have a knack for trivial stuff like nicknames, remember song lyrics & movie scenes...too bad I can't trade that in for a knack for nuclear physics or something!
smiley2.gif

JD074

Master
I can't really get into the drama of who deserves a title shot and who doesn't. There are several guys who deserve a shot and their time will come if they keep winning. I don't think it's a big deal. They're just trying to put together entertaining fights between popular fighters/ action fighters. Griffin + Liddell fits the bill. It's a sport, but it's also entertainment, and a business.

Hey, at least they're all clamoring for one belt, instead of one of four, like in boxing. The championship belt actually means something in this sport.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It's Griffin-Rashad now, not Griffin-Liddell, since Liddel was KTFO by Rashad.

guest301

Hall of Famer
UFC fight night is on tonight 8 -10 pm eastern and the reality show immediately afterward. Nate Diaz vs Josh Neer and Clay Guida vs Mac Danzig are the main events. Guida's brother is on the reality show but it appears he's having problems making weight on the first show. How does that happen? No excuse for that.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:

Of course. I'm not an idiot, Shogun.
smiley36.gif
I meant that Griffin/ Liddell is the type of fight they want: very popular action fighters going toe to toe. It would've been a very good fight for the UFC, business-wise.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
White Shogun said:

Of course. I'm not an idiot, Shogun.
smiley36.gif
I meant that Griffin/ Liddell is the type of fight they want: very popular action fighters going toe to toe. It would've been a very good fight for the UFC, business-wise.

Didn't mean to offend, JD. But you can never tell; there were still people posting in this forum just a few days ago who thought Pride was alive and doing well and still had the best fighters (no offense Ground Fighter.)

patriot

Guru
People think that because they still show Pride fights on Foxsports. They only have four shows but they keep airing them over and over.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Foxsports has been reairing the Affliction card lately.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Didn't mean to offend, JD.

Hey, Shogun. I wasn't offended. I was hoping the laughing emoticon would soften the post a bit.
smiley4.gif
Nuance doesn't work very well on the Internet, as we all know.

guest301

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
White Shogun said:
Didn't mean to offend, JD.

Hey, Shogun. I wasn't offended. I was hoping the laughing emoticon would soften the post a bit.
smiley4.gif
Nuance doesn't work very well on the Internet, as we all know.

JD074. Nuance doesn't work too well with some women either as I have been experiencing in a humorous way lately.
smiley2.gif