Pros v Joes

I am very much anticipating the new season of this show. I liked what I saw last season, but I want to see some hockey players on the show this time. The reason they didn't have any competitors go against pro hockey players last season, is because unless you can skate and skate WELL, you don't have a fighting chance at all. In other words, there is much more of an ability-gap between say Sergei Fedorov and you're average Joe, than there is between Michael Irvin and you're average Joe.Its not like football, where as long as you can run, you can cover someone. Anyone (well, almost anyone) can run, but not everyone can skate.

They did have one hockey event, but it was only with competitors going against each other, and no pros were in it. It was REALLY pathetic too. The guys were basically shooting on an empty net, and they were literally falling down every five seconds.I mean, come on, how pathetic is that? How can you not know how to skate?My mom put me on skates for the first time when I was three, and I took off like a little monkey.lol.

I saw the commercials for the new season, and I saw some brief hockey footage and I got excited. It made me wish that I had tried to get on the show. With an entire youth-hockey career at both the AA and A levels, and three years of Div. III college hockey, it made me want to take on some washed-up pros.
smiley36.gif

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
For some reason I watched American Gladiator for a while. Mike Adamle was the host. He was a star tailback in the Big 10 who played the position as a backup in the NFL for a few years. Wasn't Larry Csonka one of the co-hosts too, or am I thinking of another cheesy show?

American Gladiators was the shiite. Remember contestant Rico Costantino (who later went on to wrestle for the WWE) He single handedly wiped the floor with the gladiators in just about every event. While the gladiators for the most part were roided up muscleheads, Rico was lean, athletic, and quick, and used all of that to his advantage. He even cleaned house against the gladiators in the joust event which was the hardest to win because it required actually having enough strength to knock the gladiators off of a platform with a giant nerf stick while at the same time, being quick enough to dodge their shots with the nerf stick. and who says white guys arent atheletic
smiley9.gif

Lance Alworth said:
American Gladiators was the shiite. Remember contestant Rico Costantino (who later went on to wrestle for the WWE) He single handedly wiped the floor with the gladiators in just about every event. While the gladiators for the most part were roided up muscleheads, Rico was lean, athletic, and quick, and used all of that to his advantage. He even cleaned house against the gladiators in the joust event which was the hardest to win because it required actually having enough strength to knock the gladiators off of a platform with a giant nerf stick while at the same time, being quick enough to dodge their shots with the nerf stick. and who says white guys arent atheletic
smiley9.gif

I remember that episode. I was like 9 at the time, but I remember it. Rico had kind of long wavy hair, almost the same style that Jaromir Jagr had when he first came into thre NHL. He was pissing all over the Gladiators and he was also very respectable in the sportsmanship department. He whipped everybody, and he did it with a friendly smile on his face. lol.

I always thought that he was spanish, but I guess not. His name is more Italian than anything else. Either way, he is an unbelievable athlete.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Rico Costantino was a former Las Vegas cop, who became a WWE wrestler several years after the Gladiators episodes were filmed. His in-ring name was simply Rico who's gimmick was that he was a gay hair and clothing stylist. He mentioned once on WWE Confidential that he was of Sicilian heritage

Freedom said:
I saw a rerun where a black guy couldn't swim and before the contest he ranked himself a 9 at it.

I remember that one!lolas soon as he hit the water, he started to sink like the "African Rock Fish" that he was. All I remember was him jumping in and struggling to stay afloat. And I remember watching it with my father and saying, "Dad, it would be hilarious if he couldn't swim, just like the stereotype says."

And what happened next? He started sinking like the Titanic. Absolutely hysterical.
smiley36.gif

White_Savage

Mentor
Well, watched the new ep tonight.

Two White men, and a Black guy, the biggest guy there. Who lost every event, of course.

Randy Couture, he just can't play the trash talking pretend-badass well...too much class. He just becomes the real badass inside of the octagon. Apparently the "real athletes" weren't familiar with what a real MMA fighter does for a living, up close and personal. They had fear in their eyes just watching Randy tap the joes over and over without trying hard. The guy who got topped the least was some sort of Army Combat instructor apparently, frankly, I think I could have "Layed and prayed" and stalled better than what I saw out of any of the Joes, but who knows.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Randy is the man. Until you've rolled, you don't understand the cardio, strength & technique it takes to be effective (whether it be BJJ, Sambo, Catch Wrestling, etc.). I'm glad they got an MMA Superstar involved (& one with class...as White_Savage alluded to). I'm hoping Randy takes the strap off Big Tim.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I must be watching a rerun from last season tonight. It's the one with the black guy who refused to participate in the swimming event (unless there was more than one.)

The Pros include John Rocker and Clyde Drexler. I must have missed the first part of the show when I watched it the last time, because I missed the shortest white guy among the three Joes win the one-on-one basketball contest. He didn't beat Clyde Drexler, but he scored 6 points, the black guy scored 4, and the other taller white guy only scored 2 points.

I thought it hilarious that the shortest white guy on the show wins the basketball contest.

A guy can stand only so much irony.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It was a repeat. The show has stepped it up to a degree this season. The Pros and the Joes seem to be of higher quality this year. They even had a current pro, tennis star Robby Ginepri on last week and none of the Joe's could get near his 140 mph serve.
smiley2.gif
Kordell Stewart was on this week and one of the Joes told him his "stats is what landed him on this show competing against him". It was not a compliment.
smiley1.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I just watched a new episode, the first one in which I've seen a black guy win the competition. Having said that, I don't believe the pros played fairly. Well, not all the pros - just one: Eric Dickerson.

In the first contest, the Joes had to tackle Eric Dickerson. Dickerson juked, stiff-armed, and leaped over the white players. But the black Joe tackled him both times, easily.

The black Joe and one of the white Joes went to overtime for the win. The white Joe was far ahead in total time. But the last contest was to run past Eric Dickerson and knock two footballs off of their stands. Dickerson was 'blocking.' Dickerson seemed to give a good effort against the black Joe, but his performance against the white Joe was quite telling. By the time the white Joe knocked both footballs off their stands, he was without jersey and helmet both. That's right: Dickerson held him to the point that he actually stripped the Joe's jersey off of him, right over his head.

The white Joe lost only by 6 seconds.

Considering Eric Dickerson's comments about white athletes, it isn't too much of a stretch to see him play harder (cheat) against the white Joes, and play soft against the black Joes. Edited by: White Shogun

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I saw the Rocker/Greene/Goldberg/McDaniel episode last night. the black team looked absolutely abysmal, and had to be helped off the field because of the intensity of going up against Greene and Goldberg in the football event. The white team with the two brothers ended up winning because they managed to blow by Kevin Greene and capture victory when they were running behind the other white team in the main event

guest301

Hall of Famer
That episode last night was the best episode I have seen so far. Season finale next week.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure if I'm watching reruns right now or not, but this episode featured a tall, ripped black guy against two heavyset white men. The white men beat the black guy in a basketball shootout, then ousted him from the competition in a bicycle race.

The athletes I've seen in this episode so far are Bill Romanowski, Jennie Finch (sp?), and Muggsy Bogues.