Pros v Joes

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know if any of you have seen the previews for this program. Its on Spike TV. It is a game show-like program where three average guys compete against professional athletes in games of skill for a $20,000 prize.

The first show aired tonight. It was actually quite funny and hilarious, and there were a few moments for the Joes.

This episode had two white men and a black guy. One of the the white men was tiny; short and thin. The other two were bigger and somewhat muscular. Who won the contest?

The skinny white guy.

He outshot the other two AND Dennis Rodman in a basketball shooting contest from a moving conveyor belt. The black guy did not win a single contest and was eliminated early. In the final game, the skinny white guy outthrew the other one in a quarterbacking contest.

I already watch more Spike TV than any other channel, and thats not saying much since that is mainly only an occasional rerun of CSI and the UFC, but this show was funny enough to watch again.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I watched some of it after the Gonzaga game was over and I enjoyed the antics of Jerry Rice and Bill Goldberg(except for the innane trash talking) but I think the games were a little bit slanted for the Joes and the show needs work to hold my interest for the entire season. Bill Romanowski is supposed to be on the show in the future and I want to see that. Maybe I'm expecting to much..none of these guys would of course have beaten Rodman in a one on one game or outwrestled Goldberg in a real wrestling match..it has to be competitive and that is a challenge for the producers.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I like that they at least tied in the performance of the athletes to the scores of the Joes, except for the basketball event. It didn't really matter how many baskets Rodman made, the Joe who scored the most would take the event. But for the rest of the events, the performance of the Pro affected the outcome of the game - like the underthrown pass by McMahon in Jerry Rice's event.

They have to slant it to the Joes somewhat, otherwise there would be no point in watching. I agree though, trying to outrebound Dennis Rodman or pin Goldberg were ridiculous contests, albeit quite funny to watch.

It reminds me of that show called American Gladiator. Remember that?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason I watched American Gladiator for a while. Mike Adamle was the host. He was a star tailback in the Big 10 who played the position as a backup in the NFL for a few years. Wasn't Larry Csonka one of the co-hosts too, or am I thinking of another cheesy show?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Yea I remember and miss that show. I had a thing for Zap. Remember her! Muscular but still looked like a woman! I had a thing for all of the women on that show actually. I was about 19 years old when that came out. Larry Csonka was one of the announcers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Larry Csonka was an announcer on it for the first few years, with Mike Adamle, then they got one of their own gladiators to be the co-host, Nitro I think.

White_Savage

Mentor
Yeah, the black guy utterly sucked at everything. He did worst trying to stop Rice (Even the 160 lbs. guy actually got his hands on him) and in the basketball shooting. Probably thought he play just because he took the trouble to be born.

Our "joes" should have known that ex-athletes play lots and lots of golf....

I was kind of hoping one of the contestants in with Goldberg would be a Jujitsu man, to at least make it sort of interesting, but no such luck
smiley4.gif

I read a newspaper article about Pros v. Joes today.

They had John Rocker pitching against some Noo Yawkers, who wanted nothing more than to get back at the "big redneck" that insulted their beloved sewer..., I mean,city.

The article didn't mention when the piece will air, but it is reported that Rocker mowed the bums down, and he actually won a little respect from the hapless yankees.

A little info on Rocker: he's a bright fellow, and he has gotten into real estate in a pretty big way, and he's making money the old fashioned way. Ain't it funny how White athletes are able to have a real career after their sports lives are finished?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
white_savage said:
I was kind of hoping one of the contestants in with Goldberg would be a Jujitsu man, to at least make it sort of interesting, but no such luck

The bigger white guy actually brought Goldberg down to the mat. He went for the shoot a couple times, and finally brought Goldberg down by the ankles. He even managed to get on top for half a second.
smiley36.gif
But yeah I agree, would have been interesting to see someone with some experience at MMA or even wrestling go at him.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have heard that Goldberg trains with UFC fighters. He probably was taking it a little easy with them anyway.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I missed last weeks episode, but saw tonight's show. Two tall, slender blacks, one of whom played wide receiver in college, were up against a short, stubby weight-lifting white guy.

Guess who won?

The short stubby white guy, of course. He out shot the pro-basketball player and was the only one of the three joe's to actually snag a rebound.

In the final event, you had to catch 3 pitches in under one minute thrown by a major league pitcher. I don't remember the guys name, but he was the MVP for the A's in a World Series before he retired. He was black, if that helps. Anyway, he threw a variety of pitches at the black joe, who failed to catch one pitch. The white guy? He snagged the first three balls thrown at him. And they were hitting the dirt and coming low around his ankles, too. He won the event, and thus the contest, easily.

It might have slipped under the radar for some viewers, but the black basketball pro made at least three remarks about the 'goofy white boy' during the show, although his last was something like, 'and here I was calling him a goofy white boy...'.

Of course, this is where I insert the 'if they had said that about a black guy' rant, but you guys all know that already, anyway.

I was happy to see the white guy win. Oh, and you know what he did for a living? He sells insurance. The pros and the black guys were beaten by a short, stubby, white, insurance salesman. You can't be stereotyped any worse than that.

Ah, what a day!
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
KG2422 said:
Dave Stewart must have been the pitcher. Sounds like a cool episode.

Yeah, that was him, Dave Stewart. The others were Xavier McDaniel (NBA), Alexi Lalas (MLS), Misti May and Kevin Greene. I had to look up the rest of them on Spike TV.
smiley17.gif

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Since your on to shows, has anyone ever seen a black contestant ever win Fear Factor? I think I've seen 25 episodes or so and they never win. Why is that?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
They fade under the pressure! That's my explanation. It's either that or the stunts are culturally biased against the blacks!
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have seen at least three blacks win Fear Factor.I have also seen models in bikini's win Fear Factor.You do some automobile stunt, eat something gross and walk across something high, that usually is what a FF show consists of.

White_Savage

Mentor
Why is the most impressively-built competitor on the show the "goofy" one? Racism to new heights.

If a White athlete is lean, then he's not "affletic" enough. If he's big, then he's a musclehead. And the Catch-22 keeps on going.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Well.. he was a little goofy, impressively built nonetheless. He came across to me as a guy lacking in self-confidence. Or, more accurately, having some confidence in his abilities but afraid or unsure about saying so.

White_Savage

Mentor
Anyone still watching this?
Some interesting results.
They have at least one black guy in every show, but one hasn't won yet, I think.
Granted, these people are Joe nobodies who are then media hand-picked, so I wonder, but it is intersting.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White_Savage said:
Anyone still watching this?
Some interesting results.
They have at least one black guy in every show, but one hasn't won yet, I think.
Granted, these people are Joe nobodies who are then media hand-picked, so I wonder, but it is intersting.

I'd think if there is any bias in these shows it is matching the best black "Joes" up against poorer white competition, like the previously mentioned 'goofy' white guy. They've even had blacks who are former college football players on the show, who've been owned by white nobodies. Makes for interesting television, at least from the anti-caste system point of view.

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun: True.

Did you see the Black guy last week who got in the pool and FROZE, wouldn't even attempt to go out and do the swimming challenge?

Dude, if you can't swim, just say so.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Another white guy puts away a black guy and Hispanic guy on Pros v Joes.

I wonder how long it will be before the show is cancelled.

White_Savage

Mentor
Hey, anyone catch the finale?

Both the White teams outscored the black ones of course, and this one black guy collapsed after being knocked kiester-over-heels by Kevin Greene.

More amusingly was the long-haired short White guy. He really can wrestle. He took down and got top control over Rocker AND Goldberg. It was just showing off, since that wasn't the point of either event, but I still thought it was cool.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I caught that episode, Savage. I was laughing my ass off. The only event the black guys won at was, you guessed it, basketball, and that by only 1 point. They were owned in every other event. They went for NEGATIVE yardage in the football test against Goldberg and Greene, and the guy running the bases in the baseball event appeared to be moving as slow as black strap molasses!

Brennerman busted through Greene's tackle for a TD on the first attempt. The truth is the black guys weren't even close to winning this competition.

Did you see the one where the Joes had to pitch against Dave Stewart? Talk about making a pro look bad. The event set up three walls back to back, with a hole cut throught the center of each wall. The holes were smaller as you went through the walls. Throwing a ball through the first was one strike; throwing through both the 1st and 2nd walls counted as two strikes; and finally, throwing through all three counted as one out. The objective for the Joes was to get three outs before Dave Stewart.

Stewart's first three outs took 15 pitches. The Joe took 18. Stewart's next three took 12 pitches. The Joe took 13. Stewart's last three outs took 10 pitches. The Joe's? Eleven. Stewart barely outpitched a bunch of nobodies, some of whom had never played baseball. And there was not even a batter to contend with! Some of Stewart's pitches were bouncing way off the wall outside the hole. It was hilarious.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Pros vs Joes is back, and apparently with the same results as last season.

Two white guys and a black went against Jose Canseco, Randy Couture, Kevin Willis, and Michael Irvin.

The black Joe did not win one event and was eliminated after two events. A white guy who they said was an Army Reserve combatives instructor won the competition.

In the first event, they had to cover Michael Irvin and prevent a touchdown. One of the white guys actually covered him pretty well and won the event, considering that his hips lack swivel and he wasn't very fast.
smiley36.gif

In the last event, they had to push Randy Couture out of a pit made of sandbags, and then sprint 50 yards for time. I was very surprised; the first Joe pushed Randy low and out far enough for his elbow to touch canvas in just 12 seconds. The second Joe took only 16 seconds to actually pull Randy out of the pit for the win.