Proehl and Shockey out for last game

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
INDIANAPOLIS - Safety Bob Sanders and newly acquired wide receiver Ricky Proehl are likely to miss the Colts regular season finale Sunday against the Miami Dolphins.

"Ricky probably won't go and Bob Sanders is the same way. But we haven't ruled them totally out yet," Colts coach Tony Dungy said after Friday's practice.

Also, kicker Adam Vinatieri missed Friday's practice, and his status for Sunday's game was uncertain, according to the injury report from the Colts. Colts spokeswoman Pamela Humphrey said she had no other information.

Sanders has played in four games this season, the last one three weeks ago. He is still recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in September.

Proehl was added to the roster to an attempt to bolster the team's depth at wide receiver. But he has been bothered by a strained hamstring for the past two weeks.

Linebacker Rob Morris missed Friday's practice with a strained upper leg muscle, but Dungy expects him to play on Sunday.

Defensive back Marlin Jackson and outside linebacker Gilbert Gardner, who have been battling flu symptoms, both returned to practice Friday.

Cornerback Kelvin Hayden has been cleared to play after sustaining a concussion in practice Wednesday. Tight end Dallas Clark (knee) practiced for a third straight day and will see limited playing time Sunday.

Offensive guard Ryan Lilja (knee) also has been ruled out of the Miami game with a strained knee that he injured last week at Houston.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey will miss the regular-season finale against the Washington Redskins on Saturday because of an ankle injury.

Shockey didn't practice all week, and did not accompany the team to Washington on Friday, team spokesman Avis Roper said. The Pro Bowl tight end had been listed as questionable for Saturday night's game.

A win at Washington would virtually assure the Giants (7-8) of a playoff berth.

On Thursday, Shockey was seen walking through the locker room with a noticeable limp and appeared to favor his left ankle.

Shockey was hurt in Sunday's 30-7 loss to New Orleans.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I wonder who say Shockey 'walking through the locker room with a noticeable limp.' Is this what the team is reporting to the media or did someone else actually see him limping?

Did anybody watch the Giants - Saints game last weekend? What happened, was Shockey actually injured?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shockey's been walking with a limp caused by an ankle injury most of the season. Many affleteswith similar ankle problemshave beencollecting their paychecks and watching from the sidelines for a good portion of the season. (I know from checking the NFL Injury Report each week.) Shockey's one toughcompetitor.

Freedom

Mentor
Would it be accurate to call the skilled, all around wide receiver and the ferocious tight end throwbacks?

Don Wassall said:
Shockey's been walking with a limp caused by an ankle injury most of the season.  Many affletes with similar ankle problems have been collecting their paychecks and watching from the sidelines for a good portion of the season.  (I know from checking the NFL Injury Report each week.)  Shockey's one tough competitor. 

If Shockey was, in fact, playing while hurt, I have a lot more respect for him. He must have a little shred of "hockey-player" in him.
smiley2.gif
Most NFL players (usually black) call in sick if they find a hair in their ass.
smiley36.gif

Since we're on the topic of players being hurt, what was the most ridiculous injury that a player has ever taken himself out of the game for? I've heard of some stupid ones...pulled muscles, abrasions, bruises, foot pain, etc., but I just want to hear from some other posters on this thread. Throw some players names at me if you can.

As a side note, If you tell you're coach that you can't play because you pulled a muscle, you should be bitch-slapped on national T.V., and your contract should be flushed down the toilet. I remember when I was 14 and still playing hockey at the bantam level (13-14 age group). I pulled my groin mid-season and I still didn't miss a single game. I played hurt because I put my team first, and myself second. Yet another "White" trait. And as crazy as it sounds, I actually felt a sense of pride while playing hurt.Edited by: Ground Fighter

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
How about Vick taking himself out of a game because of a pulled groin? The Falcons were losing by two scores with 2:20 left on the clock when he takes himself out of the game. He wasn't limping on the sideline, he didn't appear to be hampered at all, nor did he miss any practice time, and he was ready to play the next game. I'd say that was pretty ridiculous. Or pretty chicken sh*t, whichever you prefer.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just watch any NFL game at random and the odds are good that you'll view a black player stretched out on the field, motionless for minutes until he is finallycarted off the field as his teammates pray and the fans give him a get-well-soon ovation. The odds are equally good that said player suffered either a very minor injury or no injury at all. It's become an ingrained ritual of pro wrestling,oops I mean the NFL. Edited by: Don Wassall

foreverfree

Mentor
While on the topic of Ricky Proehl, I want to apologize for complaining on CF about Proehl's exaggerated first down signal in SB XXXIV. I've thought about it, and now realize that that's actually a cool gesture, no black-like production number IYKWIM at all. And I also apologize for bashing "step up" as a too-black phrase too on this site. I've come to like that phrase too.
smiley9.gif
smiley9.gif
I've been wanting to make those apologies for some time now. Glad I finally got them off my chest.
smiley9.gif

John

chris371

Mentor
On the Subject of injuries, i think you have to be very careful. I had some simple shoulder pain from a tackle last season and upon being called a sissy by my coach continued. Its gotten chronic now and ive had to stop playing ball for at least a season. I dont blame guys for subbing out, seeing as thats how they earn their living.

devans

Mentor
You can also hurt your team by staying on the field and playing on when hurt. I think there is over emphasis on playing hurt. It's a macho thing - you have to show how tough and brave you are. With the posible exception of an oustanding quarterback injured players should get off the field - that's what backups and substitutions are for. Unless the backup player is truly terrible that is.