Pre-CF Website Players-Opening The Vault!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
451441.jpeg

Ryan Christopherson
Hometown: Glendale,Arizona
Sport: Football
Years: 1991-94

I've had this for a few weeks and was cleaning up my favorites list tonight and decided to post it now. I think we should post info like this so that the white stars fromthe pre-Caste Football websitedays can be made known to the world.

Ryan Christopherson excelled on and off the football field. An Academic All-American, he became the most prolific running back in Wyoming history. Christopherson finished his illustrious Wyoming career as the school's all-time rushing leader with 2,906 yards. He also is the single-season rushing leader with 1,455 yards, which he gained as a senior in 1994. His 244 yards gained against UTEP in 1994 is the second best single-game effort in history. He owns the career record for total carries, 585, and for carries in a game, 37 vs. Northeast Louisiana in 1994. He is only the second running back in Cowboy history to gain over 1,000 yards twice during his career. Christopherson was an All-Western Athletic Conference first-team selection as a senior. He was a four-time WAC Scholar Athlete as well as a four-time Academic All-WAC first-team selection. He was a first-team Academic All-American as a senior, and a second-teamer as a junior. He was a team captain as a senior. He played in the NFL for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals and Denver Broncos.

Ryan was inducted to the Wyoming Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.

Hopefully we can find info on other incredible white athletes from the Caste era. We don't want them to be lost to history.

http://wyomingathletics.cstv.com/genrel/022606aaa.htmlEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job, Reb, I had completely forgotten about him but your post jarred my memory. He was a really good running back. Iwatched a lot of college football in the early and mid-90s and fortunately at that time there were white running backs to watch like Christopherson, Mike Alstott, Alex Smith, Scott Greene and Travis Sims, who played for Hawaii.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good Post Colonel.

One of my favorites I have heard about was Brian Shay from the late 1990s. He was the former American interscholastic college career rushing record holder. He was small and shifty like Danny Woodhead form what I've heard and was from Emporia State also a Division Two school. May not have been quite as fast as Woodhead, but probably displayed better power. Here is a little Bio on him:

2008-09-19_075718_shay_hht.jpg

After rewriting the NCAA College Football record book in 1998, Emporia State running back Brian Shay shattered all existing Harlon Hill Trophy records when he was named the recipient of the 1998 Hill Trophy. Shay, a senior from Paola, Kan., set 17 NCAA records during his four year career at Emporia State, including five all-division records. In claiming the Hill Trophy, he received 88 first-place votes, 303 total points and appeared on 110 of the 115 ballots cast, shattering the previous records in all three categories. Shay out-distanced his nearest competitor by another record 185 points. Shay finished his collegiate career as the all-time leading rusher in the history of collegiate football with 6,958 yards, as well as the all-time leader in all-purpose yardage at 9,301. The runner-up for the 1997 Hill Trophy, Shay led Division II in rushing, scoring and all-purpose yards this season, averaging 205.9 yards rushing, 16.0 points and 256.3 total yards per game. His 88 total touchdowns, 544 career points and 15 career 200-yard rushing games are also all-division records. In 1998 alone he rushed 2,265 yards, averaged 7.7 yards per carry and scored 29 rushing touchdowns. He set five NCAA all-divisions records and 12 additional NCAA Division II records and surpassed three-time Hill Trophy winner Johnny Bailey to become collegiate football's leading rusher. His 2,265 yards rushing in 1998 set an all-time Division II record, as did his seven games with 200 or more yards rushing in 1998, and his six consecutive 200-yard rushing games. His 2,819 all-purpose yards in a season was also a Division II record and his eleven 100-yard rushing games tied a Division II record which he also set in 1996. Shay was a two-time first-team All-American, was 1997 MIAA Offensive Player of the Year, and an 11-time MIAA Player of the Week.

And another bio:

They said Brian Shay was too small to be a successful college football player. NCAA Division I schools turned their backs on him. All that Shay did during a four-year career at Emporia State University (1995-98) was become college football's all-time leader in rushing yards (6,958), all-purpose yards (9,301), touchdowns (88) and points scored (544). Shay ended his spectacular career at Emporia State with 17 records and won the 1998 Harlon Hill Trophy - signifying the top player in NCAA Division II - with the most first-place votes ever. His 2,265 yards rushing in 1998 was an all-time Division II record and he was named first-team Division II All-American in 1997 and 1998. Following his playing days with the Hornets, Shay was selected to play in the Senior Bowl All-Star Game. He played for the NFL Europe's Berlin Thunder in 2000 and the Orlando Rage of the former XFL in 2001. Shay was also dynamic in high school, leading Paola High School to an unbeaten season and the Class 4A state football championship in 1994. He was also a two-time state champion wrestler. Born February 22, 1977, Paola. Graduated Paola High School ヨ 1995; Emporia State University, 1999.

I'm guessing that like Woodhead, he was a state record breaker in h.s too, but couldn't get a division one scholarship, b/c of his pigment. He had a very brief NFL career with a stint with the Kansas City Chiefs. Let's hope that Danny Woodhead recovers to do what Brian Shay wasn't allowed to do...That is, be a little guy running wild in the NFL!
smiley32.gif

2008-09-19_075738_ShayBrian1.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good info on Brian, Tough! In between Brian and Danny Woodhead, but before Caste Football, there was R.J. Bowers. He reset several of Shay's records while at Grove City College, a DIII school. He was drafted by the Steelers and spent three years in the NFL, only getting a few carries and catches. Here is some more info on R.J.

bowersmain33.gif

RJ1.JPG

rjsteelers1.jpg

When R.J. Bowers walked off the field for the final time on November 11, 2000, he took with him eight NCAA all-divisions records, as well as 11 Division III records. Bowers reigns as college football's all-time leading rusher with 7,353 yards and all-time leading scorer with 562 points. Nobody in the history of the college game has ever rushed for as many 100-yard games (35), 200-yard games (16) or 100-yard games in a row (32). He has scored more touchdowns than any other college player (92), rushed for more TDs (91) and owns the best career points-per-game average (14.1). He caught three passes for 34 yards and a touchdown in the Blue-Gray Classic on Christmas Day and rushed for 21 yards on six carries at the Hula Bowl on January 20.
<DIV align=center>
<CENTER>
<TABLE width="79%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width="50%">
PERSONAL: 27 years old ... business management major ... born February 10, 1974 ... from West Middlesex, PA ... attended West Middlesex High School ... played six years of professional baseball, including five in the Houston Astros organization ... selected by the Houston Astros in the 11th round of the 1992 draft ... released by the Astros in April of 1997 ... signed by independent Madison of the Northern League in May 1997 ... 6-0, 250 pounds ... given name is Raymond Keith Bowers, Jr.

SENIOR YEAR: Won the 2000 Melberger Award as the NCAA Division III Player of the Year ... became college football's all-time leading rusher in all divisions with 7,353 career yards ... broke seven other NCAA all-divisions records: career points (562), career touchdowns (92), career rushing touchdowns (91), consecutive 100-yard games (32), career 200-yard games (16), career 100-yard games (35), career points per game (14.1) ... Moved into second place in career all-purpose yards (9,253) -- 48 yards shy of the record (9,301) set by Emporia State's Brian Shay, who previously held the all-divisions career rushing (6,958) and scoring titles (544) ... established 11 new NCAA Division III records -- his eight all-divisions records previously noted plus career all-purpose yards (9,253), career all-purpose yards per game (231.3) and career rushing yards per game (183.8) ... accepted invitations to play in the Blue Gray Classic and Hula Bowl all-star games ... named to the Associated Press Little All-America Team for the third straight season ... placed on American Football Coaches Association's Division III All-America Team for the second straight year ... won Presidents' Athletic Conference MVP for the third year in a row ... named ECAC Division III Southwest Player of the Year for the third consecutive season ... voted Football Gazette Offensive Back of the Year ... D3football.com First Team All-American ... Gagliardi Trophy Finalist.

JUNIOR YEAR:
Led Division III with 2,098 rushing yards ...scored 25 touchdowns ... ECAC Southern Region Player of the Year ... Associated Press Little All-America Team ... AFCA All-America Team ... Hewlett Packard All-American First Team ... Football Gazette All-American First Team ... Gagliardi Trophy Finalist ... PAC MVP ... extended Division III record for consecutive 100-yard games to 26 ... rushed for 200+ yards 5 times ... GCC record with 6 TDs against Kenyon ... also ran for school-best 305 yards at Kenyon ... outrushed 5 opponents by himself ... school-record 46 carries against Muhlenberg ... set GCC record with 344 carries ... helped Wolverines finish 5th in the nation in rushing offense ... averaged 27 yards per kickoff return ... 2,372 all-purpose yards ... attempted 2 passes.

SOPHOMORE YEAR: Ran for nation-high 2,283 yards and NCAA D-III record 34 touchdowns ... Melberger Award Finalist ... Gagliardi Trophy Finalist ... ECAC Southern Region Player of the Year ... Named to Associated Press Little All-America Team ... Burger King Coaches' All-America Team ... Hewlett Packard All-American First Team ... Football Gazette Running Back of the Year ... Football Gazette All-American First Team ... Division III record 206 points ... Presidents' Athletic Conference Most Valuable Player ... broke the school's career rushing record in Week Seven at Waynesburg -- his 17th career start ... ran for 288 yards and 3 touchdowns against national power Washington and Jefferson ... 262 yards and 5 TDs against Kenyon ... amassed 264 and 4 scores against Bluffton ... ran for 200+ yards in 7 consecutive games ... averaged 27 yards per kickoff return ... caught 5 passes ... led team to second consecutive PAC crown.

FRESHMAN YEAR: Made immediate impact in freshman season, catching 95-yard pass in season opener at Kenyon ... ran for 1,239 yards ... helped team win first-ever conference title ... 63-yard pass reception in ECAC Southwest Bowl against Kings Point ... caught critical fourth-quarter 41-yard screen pass in upset of W&amp;J ... ran for 126 yards against Presidents .. PAC First Team ... rushed for 243 yards and 5 touchdowns against Bluffton ... season-high 9 receptions for 253 yards ... Played left halfback as a freshman ... Won team's Freshman of the Year Award ... Teamed with Doug Steiner to become D-III's 11th pair of running backs to run for 1,000 yards each in one season.</TD></TR></T></TABLE></CENTER>

His records: http://www2.gcc.edu/sports/football/rjrecords.htm

His NFL stats: http://www.armchairgm.com/R.J._Bowers

Page dedicated to him: http://www2.gcc.edu/sports/Football/rjbowers.htm

bow0001.bmp

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You may have noticedthe name Steve Bartalo stillon the list of rushing records. Steve was a RB for Colorado State between 1983-1986 and was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987, playing in just 9 games and getting just 9 carries and a single catch. Steve (5-9, 200) was and is CSU's all-time leading rusher (4,813) and scorer (294 points) andheldthe national record for rushing attempts in college (1,215) for well over a decade. He was and is the only CSU RB to havethree 1,000 yard seasons in his career. After playing part of the 1987 season in Tampa Bay, Steve re-appeared with San Francisco in 1988 but never played in a game for them or anyone after that.

SteveBartalo.jpg

steve-bartalo.jpg

Here's howSteve ranks in other categories at CSU. http://csurams.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/080405aaa.ht ml

2271033.jpeg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you guys are doing a great job.
smiley32.gif

there is an entire thread on CF somewhere where i look at guys who got screwed, complete with bios, stats, etc. but i can't find it. i want to say the thread is titled "where are they now" or something similar, but if that were the case i would have found it already.
smiley36.gif

anyway, it has a lot of info on other running backs and a lot of wide receivers, too. if you can find it, feel free to c/p the info to this thread.
smiley1.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah JC, your NFL without the Caste System was amazing research, and was similar to this, although more work. The more we list the old guys that got screwed the more evidence for readers to read!

Edited to add: thanks for the compliment; I stumbled across some of those web pages on Brian Shay when looking at rushing records.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

C Darwin

Mentor
JohnCappelletti.jpg

John Cappelletti (born August 9, 1952) is a former professional American football running back for the NFL's Los Angeles Rams and the San Diego Chargers. Prior to his professional career, he attended the Pennsylvania State University, where he won the Heisman Trophy in 1973. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1993. Penn State football coach Joe Paterno said that Cappelletti was "the best football player I ever coached".

Cappelletti attended Monsignor Bonner High School in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. As a senior tailback at Penn State, he gained 1,522 yards on 286 carries scoring 17 touchdowns as the Nittany Lions rolled to an undefeated season. He was awarded the 1973 Heisman Trophy and the Maxwell Award, as well as receiving All-America honors. In his two-year running career, he gained 100 yards in thirteen games and had a career total of 2,639 yards and twenty-nine touchdowns for an average of 120 yards per game and 5.1 yards per carry. Cappelletti's Heisman acceptance speech, where he dedicated his award to his dying brother Joey, is one of the most memorable in the history of college sports.

The relationship between Cappelletti and his younger brother Joey, who died of childhood leukemia on April 8, 1976, was made into a television movie in 1977 called Something for Joey. Cappelletti was played by Marc Singer. The movie was based on the book of the same name written by Richard E. Peck and chronicled the bond between the two brothers as Cappelletti supported his young brother through his battle against cancer.
link

Blake Ezor, good small but tough back at MSU who followed Lorenzo White. Pretty sure he rocked a sweet mullet, as well.Edited by: GreatLakeState

GreatLakeState said:
Blake Ezor, good small but tough back at MSU who followed Lorenzo White. Pretty sure he rocked a sweet mullet, as well.

lol...gotta love the mullet.
smiley36.gif

I'll take a mullet over cornrows any day of the week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I happened upon a past great white player that I have a connection with, the talented WR Roger Carr. I played football against his alma mater in high school. Graduating from Cotton Valley (LA) High in 1970, he arrived at Louisiana Tech on a track scholarship (he long jumped over 21 feet in high school). He had a great football career after walking on at Tech, including breaking multiple receiving records, and was drafted 24th overall in the first round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Colts. In all, the 6-3, 200 pound Carr played 8 seasons with the Colts, earning a trip to the Pro-Bowl in 1976 after leading NFL in receiving with 1,112 yards and 11 TDs on just 43 receptions. That's an incredible 25.9 yards per catch! He had more than 50 catches just once in his career, 1980, when he had 61 grabs for 924 yards and 5 TDs. In September 1982, after feuding with new Colts coach Frank Kush for several months, Roger was traded to the Seahawks, where his production was good considering he was signed as a backup (and a replacement for black WR and team Union Rep. Sam McCullum) and only had 15 receptions during the strike shortened season. The next summer, Roger was traded to the Chargers for a 5th round draft pick, mainly to provide depth because of an injury to black WR Wes Chandler. Roger played in just 4 games and caught just 2 passes in what would be his last season in football. Not being old enough to remember him play, I don't know the intricacies of the man or the player. I do know he had a couple of injuries during his career, but I think its safe to say he was a victim of the Caste System judging by the way he had to split time over almost all of his 10 year career. Here's to a Cotton Valley Wildcat!

Carr in 1976

carr.jpg

Roger at Louisiana Tech
RogerCarr.jpg

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I decided to re-open the vault to a White RB from BYU way back in the early days of the Caste System,"Fleet" Pete Van Valkenburg. Fleet Pete was the last White RB to go over 1,000 yards at BYU until Luke Staley in 2001. He was listed at 6-2, 195. Here are his college stats:
</font>1972 P. VanValkenburg 232 1,386 6.0
1971 P. VanValkenburg 121 601 4.9
1970 P. VanValkenburg 103 405 3.9

Pete ended up with a 5.2 YPC average (3rd best in BYU history) and his '72
rushing total is still the 2nd best at BYU behind Luke Staley's 1,582 yard
season of '01. In '72, he added 452 yards receiving which is still the 5th
best all purpose yardage total in BYU history. Pete was named an
All-American in 1972 and is a member of the BYU Hall of Fame.

Van Valkenburg was drafted by the Saints in '73 in the 3rd round (66th pick) and was
traded to Buffalo. He played there just 1 year, getting 2 carries and 1 catch in 13 games.
He played special teams with Green Bay and Chicago in '74 but was little used. Despite
not playing in 1975, Pete had a good year with Saskatchewan in the CFL in '76, gaining
572 yards and 3 TDs on 129 carries plus 43 catches for 421 yards and 2 TDs. Interestingly,
Pete was second in both categories behind two other near forgotten White players, Steve
Molnar and Tom Campana. That was the last year that Pete played football.
</font></pre>Although Fleet Pete played early in the Caste era, I can't help but believe he was a victim of the system that claimed so many talented White athletes from his time through the present. We at CF have not forgotten!

View Pete's copyrighted photo here.
</font>

Colonel_Reb said:
I happened upon a past great white player that I have a connection with, the talented WR Roger Carr. I played football against his alma mater in high school. Graduating from Cotton Valley (LA) High in 1970, he arrived at Louisiana Tech on a track scholarship (he long jumped over 21 feet in high school). He had a great football career after walking on at Tech, including breaking multiple receiving records, and was drafted 24th overall in the first round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Colts. In all, the 6-3, 200 pound Carr played 8 seasons with the Colts, earning a trip to the Pro-Bowl in 1976 after leading NFL in receiving with 1,112 yards and 11 TDs on just 43 receptions. That's an incredible 25.9 yards per catch! He had more than 50 catches just once in his career, 1980, when he had 61 grabs for 924 yards and 5 TDs. In September 1982, after feuding with new Colts coach Frank Kush for several months, Roger was traded to the Seahawks, where his production was good considering he was signed as a backup (and a replacement for black WR and team Union Rep. Sam McCullum) and only had 15 receptions during the strike shortened season. The next summer, Roger was traded to the Chargers for a 5th round draft pick, mainly to provide depth because of an injury to black WR Wes Chandler. Roger played in just 4 games and caught just 2 passes in what would be his last season in football. Not being old enough to remember him play, I don't know the intricacies of the man or the player. I do know he had a couple of injuries during his career, but I think its safe to say he was a victim of the Caste System judging by the way he had to split time over almost all of his 10 year career. Here's to a Cotton Valley Wildcat!Carr in 1976
carr.jpg
Roger at Louisiana Tech
RogerCarr.jpg

Roger Carr wasn't a victim of the Caste System because it didn't exist in its present form in the 1970s. Carr, when healthy, didn't split time while in Baltimore. His good friend, Bert Jones, was at QB.

After his big year in 1976, Carr held out for most of training camp. When he signed, he tore up a knee and missed half the 1977 season and never quite returned to his 1976 form.

I recall some scouts said that "Carr is the fastest white guy we've ever seen." There was an article about Carr I read in which he said corners would play up on him because they didn't think "a white boy was fast." Carr was proud of showing them they were wrong.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for filling in some of the blanks about Carr, sport historian. I agree that the Caste System wasn't as pervasive in the late 70s as it is now, but it was definitely present at that time and was already affecting a lot of White players. I think there is still ample evidence to say that Carr wasn't treated fairly during the last two seasons of his career.

snow

Mentor
I believe the Caste System was starting to come into effect in the 70's. Look at the runningback position. There were more black runningbacks in the league than white, and its not like our guys sucked, Csonka, Hubbard, Eeghan.

Hubbard had 1100 yards rushing 5 ypc in 72, 1200 total from scrimmage, do you have any information as to why his touches decreased the next season? He was still able to get 1,000 from scrimmage but barely with the amount of touches. Then they decreased even more the year after that in 74, he played all 14 games but started 13. His production didn't decline just his touches, he had 4.7 ypc in 73 and 4.6 in 74 which is still pretty good, his yards per catch went up though.

snow said:
I believe the Caste System was starting to come into effect in the 70's. Look at the runningback position. There were more black runningbacks in the league than white, and its not like our guys sucked, Csonka, Hubbard, Eeghan. Hubbard had 1100 yards rushing 5 ypc in 72, 1200 total from scrimmage, do you have any information as to why his touches decreased the next season? He was still able to get 1,000 from scrimmage but barely with the amount of touches. Then they decreased even more the year after that in 74, he played all 14 games but started 13. His production didn't decline just his touches, he had 4.7 ypc in 73 and 4.6 in 74 which is still pretty good, his yards per catch went up though.

In 1973, Ken Stabler became the Raider QB and they went more to the passing game. Hubbard was getting older and would soon be replaced by Mark Van Eeghen.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Caste System began in earnest in 1968, but the NFL still had a number of White players at the now verboten positions in the '70s. Sport Historian pointed out in a previous post that on a majority of the NFL teams in 1973 the leading rusher was White, which startled even me. It wasn't until the '80s, particularly the mid-'80s, that Whites werecompletely pushed out atRB andCB, limited to just a few WR spots, and began being methodically cleansed on defense down to the current 10-15%.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I must have missed that post about White RBs being the majority of leading rushers in '73, Don. That is pretty amazing. Still, Carr played in an era when change toward the caste system was happening fast, that being '74-'83. My point is that although we can't state that every White player from that era was hurt by the caste system, we also can't state that no White players from that era were hurt by the caste system. I'm glad sport historian has the knowledge he does about the players of the past, but that doesn't change the fact that the caste system was increasingly affecting White players during that time. I'd like to see sport historian provide younger CF posters with some info about White players from that era that he saw as being hurt by the emerging caste system. With his knowledge, he should be able to tell us about a bunch of talented White players that some of us may have never heard of. I'd sure prefer to see that over a rebuttal to a nearly 2 year old post.

Colonel_Reb said:
I must have missed that post about White RBs being the majority of leading rushers in '73, Don. That is pretty amazing. Still, Carr played in an era when change toward the caste system was happening fast, that being '74-'83. My point is that although we can't state that every White player from that era was hurt by the caste system, we also can't state that no White players from that era were hurt by the caste system. I'm glad sport historian has the knowledge he does about the players of the past, but that doesn't change the fact that the caste system was increasingly affecting White players during that time. I'd like to see sport historian provide younger CF posters with some info about White players from that era that he saw as being hurt by the emerging caste system. With his knowledge, he should be able to tell us about a bunch of talented White players that some of us may have never heard of. I'd sure prefer to see that over a rebuttal to a nearly 2 year old post.

As I wrote, Carr was less effective after his 1977 holdout and knee injury. Also Bert Jones missed almost the whole 1978 season with an arm injury and the Colts declined as a team the next few years. These factors negatively affected Carr's production.

I saw Roger Carr play on TV many times. The rap on Carr was a "lack of toughness." A good many black WRs of the era were criticized for the same thing. I don't believe his career was hurt by the caste system. After all, he stayed around for 10 years. If you search the web, you can find a 2009 interview with Carr by the Baltimore Sun.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You just might be right about Carr, sport historian. My point is that the Caste System was around during that time and it was affecting White player's careers, even if Carr wasn't one of them.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
You just might be right about Carr, sport historian. My point is that the Caste System was around during that time and it was affecting White player's careers, even if Carr wasn't one of them.

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObmdaWrELBA[/TUBE]

heres a vid I uploaded of Carr. There is one play where he steps out of bounds, but i put it in to show his speed, the play was negated because of penalties that offset, he still managed to have 198 receiving yards that game, 3 tds. Looks like he didn't have a problem going across the middle on that one catch

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What a change between then and now with White players all over the field, even Tommy Casanova is running around out there. Nice vid, dwid!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Anyone remember watching Randy Rhino play? He was way before my time. I remember Bronk posting his name on the board a few years ago. I also mentioned him in this year's Georgia Tech thread. He was a Cornerback and Free Safety for Tech from 1972-74 and is GT's only 3 time All-American!

5580739.jpeg

Here's a tribute to him, including a video clip: http://www.raycomsports.com/theacc/legends/legend/27

Rhino (1972-74), an outstanding defensive back and punt returner, is still the only three-time first-team All-America in Georgia Tech history, having earned first-team honors in 1972, 1973 and 1974. He started at cornerback as sophomore in 1972, earned consensus All-America honors as a free safety in 1973, then returned to cornerback as a senior in 1974, making 14 career interceptions, still the second-most in Yellow Jacket history. Named to the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame in 2002, he still holds the record for longest punt return in Tech history, a 96-yarder against South Carolina in 1972. He averaged 13.1 yards a return on 57 punt returns and he held all of Tech's career punt return records until they were broken in 2002 by his son Kelley. He is part of three generations of Rhinos who have played college football at Georgia Tech. Besides his son Kelley (1999-2002), his father, Chappell (1950-52) and his brother Danny (1974-76) also started for the Yellow Jackets. A 14th-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints in the 1975 NFL Draft, Rhino played one season with Charlotte (1975) of the World Football League and six seasons in the Canadian Football League with Montreal (1976-80) and Ottawa (1981). While in the CFL he was a two-time All-Star, helping lead the Alouettes to win the 1977 Grey Cup. A native of Charlotte, N.C., he now resides in Marietta, Ga. and is the team chiropractor on Tech's sports medicine staff.

Here's Randy with the 1974 Defensive Playboy All-Americans. Also, notice the mix of 2 and 4 point chinstraps.
1974b.jpg

footballguy

Here is one caught in the system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Hendricks

As a professional player in Europe, Todd Hendricks was a league MVP. He came into the league and outshined the European players and all of the American imports. This is not an easy task as many of these players came from major universities and even NFL teams. Todd was able to adjust to the league with ease. I have seen many former NFL players flop in this league due to their inability to adjust. Whether Todd was being thrown to by an Austrian QB or a former CFL QB Todd always found the end zone. Todd smashed the record books in Austria and some of his records still stand today.

One of the most telling signs of Todd’s greatness is his longevity. Many players who come into the European leagues are only given a one year contract. Todd played for several years in the Austrian league. That in itself is a huge accomplishment for American imports in Europe. That is a telling statistic for more than just his playing ability but also his character. Anyone in the European league will tell you that players who are invited back are leaders on and off the field. They have the mental toughness to overcome challenges, willingness to adapt, and leadership that inspires.

I played at the University of New Mexico and spent 8 years as a player and coach in four different leagues in Europe. Austria is known as the top league in Europe, usually producing four teams ranked in the top 10 in Europe. Before I met Todd the owner of the team praised Todd as the best player to ever have played in the league. When he came and played his first game with me I got to witness firsthand what he was talking about. He immediately took over the game scoring touchdown after touchdown. Guys on our team and even the other team swarmed him with attention after the game. He obviously meant a lot to the league and impacted all the players with his character and sincerity.

Bart Barnard
Former University of New Mexico Captain
2000-2009 Euro League player and coach