Pick your team ...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
when i watch college basketball, i see (and hear) INCESSANT hype from (((the usual suspects))) about the same players. not only does it grow wearisome, but it also lends a false sense of credibility to the “evaluation” of “talent” by the “experts” (sic) by limiting the Overton Window of players worthy of recognition.

to no surprise to the readers here, i am confident that a highly competitive team could easily be put together of players who receive virtually no hype.

would anyone else like to give this a go?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I'll take the bait !

PG CJ Fleming, Bellarmine 6'0 180 15.2ppg 2.9rpg 1.7 assists on the year. 39% from 3

SG Grayson Murphy, Belmont 6'3 210 7.6ppg 6.2rpg and 5.8apg.

F Matthias Tass(Estonian), St. Mary's 6'10 245 12.5ppg 6.2rpg and 2apg 0.7Bpg

F Yauhen Massalki(Belarusian), San Francisco 6'9 240 13.5ppg 9.4Rpg 2.2Bpg!

C Nick Muszynski Belmont 6'11 245 15.9ppg 5.9Rpg 1.6 Bpg

Reserves:

Vermont SF/PF Ryan Davis 6'8 250 with a sweet stroke. 17.8Ppg 5
.8Rpg 40% from 3!

Davidson PG Foster Loyer 6'0 175 15
.8Ppg 3Rpg 3Apg 40% from 3!

Purdue SG/SF Sasha Stefanovic 6'5 205 11Ppg 3Rpg 2.5Apg 40% from 3

Wisconsin SG Brad Davidson 6'4 205 14Ppg 4Rpg 2Apg 35% from 3!

Oklahoma PF Tanner Groves 6'10 235 12ppg 5.5Rpg 38% from 3!

You could easily plug and play any of these guys into a Starting 5! Very Senior heavy.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Mentor
Jordan Bohannon PG Iowa

Joey Baker SG Duke

Ryan Hawkins SF Creighton

Zach Freematle PF Xavier ( he’s having a down year but teaming up with a bunch of gym rats would improve moral)

Brady Manik C North Carolina

I haven’t watched enough CB this year to come up with any reserves.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
so far, there’s a couple solid lineups. any other takers before i list mine?

TwentyTwo

Master
Bucky & ElGringo did a nice job with the line up's!

Here are a few others that come to mind.....

6'-9" Guard Drew Peterson USC .... Versatile ...2nd leading scorer on team 12.5 points ppg

6'-11" Center Collin Castleton .... Florida ...Intense in your face Center...16.4 ppg / 9 + rebs & 2.4 blocked shots

7'-1" Center Walker Kessler( Soph.) Auburn.....11.5 ppg & 4.5 Blocks!

7'-1" Freshman Chet Holmgren ...Gonzaga...smooth all around player spin moves in the lane for Dunks! Shooting 3's + Blocking Shots

6'-10" Forward Drew Timme ...Gonzaga...17.6 ppg

6'-6" Guard Buddy Boeheim Syracuse ...19.3 ppg

6'-7" Guard Jaime Jaquez (Jr.) ....UCLA....13.3ppg

6'-6" Christian Braun ....Kansas ....EXPLOSIVE!

6'-10" Forward Azuolas Tubelis ....Arizona ...14.7 ppg (career high 32 vs Utah)

6'-4" Guard Peter Kiss .....Bryant) ...Leading Scorer (24.7) in the nation

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Bucky, that’s a heck of a ten-man rotation! i can’t think of any D-I program that plays a ten-man rotation, though. can you? despite all the affletes on collegiate rosters, almost all play no more than 8 guys. most probably routinely only go 7 deep, though Iowa gives substantial minutes to 9 players.

you have a couple of guys listed who i REALLY like:

i’d LOVE to have Grayson Murphy as the point guard for my team. any chance i could steal him away? he’s the type of lead guard i LOVE, because he can dominate a game on both ends of the court without having to score. dude is terrific.

i also like Massalski from San Francisco. he’s a rugged post presence that’s not afraid to be a big man. he plays within himself and rarely takes bad shots, which translates into impressive efficiency numbers. additionally, he’s a SUPERB defender.

TwentyTwo, you’ve listed some impressive individual players. how would you assemble an actual rotation of guys, though? not an all-star type group of athletes.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Feel free @Jimmy Chitwood I got a little carried away with naming 10! Very true though. Seems like 8 is the magic number for most teams.

Phall

Master
This is a great concept, @Jimmy Chitwood

I'm going to try to go off the beaten path with my team and focus on only new names. My team has to go ten-deep, as we will be rotating based on matchups rather than roster hierarchy.

My starting five are:

6'6 junior G Paul Mulcahy, Rutgers, 8.9 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.2 apg, 2.0 a/to, honorable mention All Big Ten Conference
6'2 senior G Alex Barcello, BYU, 17.2 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.1 rpg, 1.0 spg, 1.8 a/to, 82-187 3FG (43.9 %)
6'6 sophomore G Baylor Scheierman, South Dakota State, 16.3 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.3 spg 78-163 3FG (47.9%)
6'10 senior F Rocky Kreuser, North Dakota State, 16 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 2 bpg, 59 for 147 from deep for the season (40%), returning First Team All Summit Conference
6'10 sophomore F PJ Hall, Clemson, 15.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.5 bpg, already the best player on an average ACC team

Mulcahy will run the show and defer to his shooters here. Barcello is a high-usage player that will enjoy more space than he's used to thanks to Scheierman and Kreuser (who are facing off in their conference championship game tonight!) being able to stretch the defense. PJ Hall is above the rim: he's a high energy defender that can clean up the occasional miss from my sharpshooters.

Bench
6'9 senior Josip Vrankic, Santa Clara, 15.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.2 spg
6'3 senior G Jack Ferguson, Colgate, 12.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.0 spg, 88 for 210 3FG (42%),
6'11 sophomore C Jeff Woodward, Colgate, 6.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2021 Freshman of the Year Patriot Conference, 270 lb sophomore is a LOAD in the paint and one to watch in the future
6'5 freshman SF Jason Roche, The Citadel, 110-277 3FG (39.7%), #5 nationally in 3FG made
6'2 senior G Tommy Kuhse, St. Mary's, 11.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.6 apg, 0.9 spg, 43-92 3FG (46.7%)

Vrankic is a gritty defender, quite a stereotype, and it was tough to put him on the bench. Ferguson is a smart, composed, veteran leader with tourney experience who can spell either guard; his teammate Woodward is a big body who can plug in for a defensive shift. Roche is a fearless volume shooter as a freshman, and Kuhse is my glue guy.

My "real" team would be Gillespie, Davison, Buddy Boeheim, Timme, and Holmgren, with Castleton, Tanner Groves, Zach Edey, and Brady Manek on the bench. Peter Kiss from Bryant is putting on a show tonight, and I'm looking forward to his team's upset bid next weekend!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
thanks @Bucky

@Phall how are you gonna keep all those scorers happy? that’s a heck of a problem to have (and your recruiter needs a raise!), but there’s only one ball to share. i’m guessing that you’d be hit hard by transfers after the season, but it’d be a fun run while it lasted. i’ve not seen those Summit League guys in your starting lineup or the Patriot League and other small school guys on your bench. how do you think their games would translate to a higher-profile program?

i especially like your picks of Mulcahy and Hall. they are VERY underrated, in my opinion. Barcello can score against anyone (ask Gonzaga) and is a BIGTIME point maker. i don’t know how you’ll keep Vrankic on the bench. that dude is fierce. pretty similar with Kuhse (who i absolutely LOVE to watch; see my comments on Murphy); he’s so controlled and will flat beat your butt.

i also really appreciate your roster having both upper and under classmen. so many of these “thought experiments” are weighted heavily toward juniors and seniors due to their more advanced skills and numbers in the stat sheet. a program needs youth, even if it has to endure the growing pains.

Phall

Master
thanks @Bucky

@Phall how are you gonna keep all those scorers happy? that’s a heck of a problem to have (and your recruiter needs a raise!), but there’s only one ball to share. i’m guessing that you’d be hit hard by transfers after the season, but it’d be a fun run while it lasted. i’ve not seen those Summit League guys in your starting lineup or the Patriot League and other small school guys on your bench. how do you think their games would translate to a higher-profile program?

i especially like your picks of Mulcahy and Hall. they are VERY underrated, in my opinion. Barcello can score against anyone (ask Gonzaga) and is a BIGTIME point maker. i don’t know how you’ll keep Vrankic on the bench. that dude is fierce. pretty similar with Kuhse (who i absolutely LOVE to watch; see my comments on Murphy); he’s so controlled and will flat beat your butt.

i also really appreciate your roster having both upper and under classmen. so many of these “thought experiments” are weighted heavily toward juniors and seniors due to their more advanced skills and numbers in the stat sheet. a program needs youth, even if it has to endure the growing pains.

Like you said, Jimmy C, it's a bad problem to have! The "covid year" of eligibility made everything a bit wonky in terms of both scholarships and eligibility. Mulcahy, for instance, would have had a bigger role and stat line already (as a starter) save for the presence of a few of Rutgers' super-seniors. I don't know if they'll win as many games next year, but he will surely have a bigger part in the outcomes. If he's faring well in college (I'm thinking modest NIL perks here), he'll have two more years to make a lasting impression on a program that doesn't really have a history.

Regarding Colgate: I'm of a similar age and from a nearby hometown as a few members of their staff and admin. It's a point of interest for me for that reason and also a point of enthusiasm because they are actually good (amongst their peers). Colgate beat Syracuse by 15 this season! For this reason, I watched them a couple times and always found the box scores. If you google their staff, you'll see that they have some smart and sharp ex-ballplayers who are probably combining "analytics" with experience and in-game adjustments. Ferguson offers mistake-free basketball at a higher level, and Woodward provides a potential mismatch, or at least a workout trying to box him out. Lazy comparison aside: I'm thinking Cameron Krutwig upside, without the range. Still a valuable team piece.

I watched about half of the ND State vs SD State game, and neither of my guys were really feeling it. Sam Griesel of NDSU made me really regret closing my browser tab on him before I posted my picks. He's a fine player too and frankly could compete with Barcello for a roster spot.

How to compare the prolific white players of the pacific northwest against the muscled-up blacks of the power conferences? that's a tricky question... I have more to say, but might press pause in this thread for the moment.

El Gringo

Mentor
I just watched the highlights of NEC championship game and as Phall mentioned Kiss dominated with 34 points and 3 or 4 nice dunks. Im gonna go ahead and steal him from 22’s bench and insert him as my starting SG over Baker!!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I just watched the highlights of NEC championship game and as Phall mentioned Kiss dominated with 34 points and 3 or 4 nice dunks. Im gonna go ahead and steal him from 22’s bench and insert him as my starting SG over Baker!!

Kiss was the Alpha Make of that Game! Outstanding performance. On his breakaway dunk he taunted Wagner bench and announcers were all over themselves with anger. I don't think they're used to seeing a cocky White SG.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Kiss has ideal size (6-foot-5 and well put together) and athletic ability (dude can jump out of the gym) for a shooting guard. one “wonders” how he was unable to “crack the rotation” at nearly-all-black Rutgers ...

as for his antics, he is volatile on and off the court (if memory serves, he attended 4 high schools and 3 colleges; that’s not a good pattern). he can either light up the other team or self destruct, depending on the night. ideally, such a young man would find strong mentorship to help him channel that energy and drive in a positive direction. strictly from a basketball perspective, dude can almost single handedly win you some games ... and lose you some. on an elite program in an ideal situation, he’d have a strong head coach give him a short leash for those nights when he loses his mind in a negative manner (turnovers, poor shots, outlandish, distractive behavior, etc.) and lots of high fives when he loses his mind by torching the nets.

he certainly has high major talent.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kiss has ideal size (6-foot-5 and well put together) and athletic ability (dude can jump out of the gym) for a shooting guard. one “wonders” how he was unable to “crack the rotation” at nearly-all-black Rutgers ...

as for his antics, he is volatile on and off the court (if memory serves, he attended 4 high schools and 3 colleges; that’s not a good pattern). he can either light up the other team or self destruct, depending on the night. ideally, such a young man would find strong mentorship to help him channel that energy and drive in a positive direction. strictly from a basketball perspective, dude can almost single handedly win you some games ... and lose you some. on an elite program in an ideal situation, he’d have a strong head coach give him a short leash for those nights when he loses his mind in a negative manner (turnovers, poor shots, outlandish, distractive behavior, etc.) and lots of high fives when he loses his mind by torching the nets.

he certainly has high major talent.

I agree with what you said but why have people said these same things about Mac McClung? McClung has no piercings, no tattoos and he doesn't taunt the opponents.
McClung looks like a Morman Choir Boy yet even on this board some posters have called him a wigger, showoff, cocky arrogant among other things.

Now Kiss is an amazing player but his arrogance and cockiness has to be kept in check to a degree. He plays with the black style, swag and in your face cockiness. You either like it or don't. I would prefer that he toned it down a few notches as it's not a good look for any race. I understand however with the emphasis on everything hyping up the black culture why so many whites get brainwashed and try to emulate them. I must say Kiss reminds me off Rex Chapman. What a talent. I would love to see him in the nba but I won't hold my breath
as his immaturity can be the end of his career if he doesn't get it under control.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as far as i can tell, there are only three White athletes nationally who are hyped: versatile big men Drew Timme and Chet Holmgren of Gonzaga (two of my favorite players) and point guard Collin Gillespie of Villanova. to a lesser degree, centers Hunter Dickinson (Michigan) and Zach Edey (Purdue) get some attention. that’s pretty much it.

there’s a thread on it, but it really is amazing how few White point guards there are these days. there’s no reason for it other than racial bias, because you can be a highly effective, even dominant lead guard without possessing the “black” attributes of jumping high and running fast.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
please pardon the double post, but as i was working this morning a thought crossed my mind i’d like you to consider: all of the hyped players fit the template of “acceptable” as defined by the current paradigm. Timme, Dickinson, and Edey are all below-the-rim big men. sure, they can dunk, but it’s not an integral part of their game. same with Gillespie; he’s a below-the-rim floor general who doesn’t do anything flashy. he’s just really good (and on the East Coast). these guys don’t threaten the narrative.

conversely, Holmgren is widely regarded as a unicorn. by definition, he’s considered a one-off anomaly. and the fact that he’s quite literally doing things that have never been done before makes his hype permissible (like Cristian McCaffrey, for instance).

for the powers-that-be unicorns don’t threaten the system; they justify it.

what do you think?

by the way, i'll likely post my team(s) tonight or tomorrow.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i put together two teams using only names that haven’t been used (except for Kessler who I’ve been hyping forever, and Murphy who i treasure), AND that could reasonably be assembled by an actual coaching staff. i’ve purposefully avoided trying to compile an all-star-type roster in order to show (i hope!) that there are plenty of White athletes that could play on/for competitive teams. additionally, i’ve intentionally balanced my roster with freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, just like actual teams have to do.

finally, i’ve declined to copy/paste their current stats, because laziness.

i prioritize versatility and length on defense and good decision making and shooting on offense. my rosters will reflect this philosophy.

Team 1:

i’ve imagined this team to come from a Power 5 conference, with all the consequent resources for recruiting, and the chance to occasionally snag a higher profile recruit/transfer.

Starters:

center - Walker Kessler (sophomore; 7’1” 245; Auburn)

stretch 4 - Jack Nunge (junior; 7’0” 247; Xavier)

wing - Lazar Stefanovic (freshman; 6’7” 186; Utah)

guard - Christian Braun (junior; 6’6” 218; Kansas)

point guard - Grayson Murphy (senior; 6’3” 190; Belmont)

despite being buried on the bench at UNC and an afterthought when he transferred to Auburn, Kessler is the nation’s premiere shot blocker and post defender. he’s long and bouncy, but he’s raw and still very much a work in progress on the offensive end, though he’s adept at catching lobs and finishing above the rim.

Nunge is an agile, long, shot blocking stretch 4. he’s comfortable playing on the perimeter when we have the ball and can move his feet well enough with his length to guard multiple positions.

Stefanovic is a long and dynamic but spindly Serbian scoring machine. i’d try to redshirt him, but if he’s talented enough to make the adjustment to bigtime college ball and earn starter minutes, then he’d get the nod.

Braun is a bigger, bouncier, completely better version of another current Jayhawk who is projected to be a lottery pick in this year’s NBA draft (but who is black). Braun can, quite literally, beat you in every way: shooting, driving, dunking on your head, defending, rebounding, passing, and blocking shots. his only drawback is he’s too unselfish, which is why his scoring average isn’t higher. dude is a beast! (and i’m surprised no one has mentioned him.)

Murphy is the type of point guard i dream of having on my team. he can totally dominate a game without scoring. the efficiency metrics say he’s THE most effective and impactful player in college basketball, and i tend to agree (outside of perhaps Chet Holmgren). he can cut up opposing defenses with his creativity and shut down the opposition with his d. and, when/if it’s needed, he can score ... so opponents have to guard him.

Bench:

post - John Harrar (senior; 6’9” 240; Penn St)

forward - Ben Gregg (freshman; 6’10” 225; Gonzaga)

wing - Tyler Wahl (junior; 6’9” 221; Wisconsin)

guard - Matthew Mayer (senior; 6’9” 225; Baylor)

point guard - Tyler Kolek (freshman; 6’3” 190; Marquette)

guard - Payton Sandfort (freshman; 6’7” 215; Iowa)

Harrar is the third big in my rotation. he’s a rugged defender and rebounder, but he really shines on the offensive glass. he can contribute offensively without running plays for him, and he’s a terrific leader on the court and in the locker room. he’s the type of player that creates the culture of a winning program.

Mayer is a very long and versatile defender who can play and guard multiple positions. offensively, he’s capable of knocking down shots from all three levels and he doesn’t make many mistakes. he can be plugged into nearly any lineup i want/need to run for the situation.

Wahl is an elite defender and athletic playmaker who plays much bigger than his size (and might crack my starting lineup). he can guard multiple positions, is a plus rebounder, and is a high percentage scorer/low volume shooter at all three levels. and dude will dunk on your head.

Gregg is a highly skilled stretch 4 with bigtime potential. he’d be redshirted to let his body catch up to his game.

Sandfort is a long sharp shooting assassin who can play and guard multiple positions, but his biggest weakness is weakness. i’d redshirt him and expect him to become a legend in the program before his career wrapped up.

Kolek is a pure point guard with tremendous vision and passing ability and quick feet. he’s skinny as a rail, though, and has a broken jump shot so i’d try to redshirt him.

Team 2:

I’ve imagined this team to play in a “mid-major” conference and unlikely to be able to lure highly rated players. instead, we’d have to find hidden gems and have a VERY good skill/strength development program. as such, redshirting would be a key cog in the machine. additionally, since we’d probably have a difficult time getting talented big men, i’d target sharp shooting, albeit undersized, post players rather than oversized stiffs. conversely, we’d target long wing players to make it possible to have a high-pressure defensive style with lots of switching and an up-tempo offense.

Starters:

forward - Hunter Schofield (senior; 6’8” 225; Dixie St)

forward - Justin Bean (senior; 6’7” 210; Utah St)

wing - Jake Laravia (junior; 6’8” 235; Wake Forest)

wing - Tyson Degenhart (freshman; 6’7” 232; Boise St)

point guard - Connor McCaffrey (senior; 6’5” 205; Iowa)

Schofield is an active rebounder and moves well without the ball. he can space the floor well enough to draw opposing bigs out of the lane and is strong enough to guard bigger post players.

Bean is a walking bucket at all three levels. at times he tries to do too much because of the team he’s on, but he can really light up the nets, and despite his lack of size is a ferocious rebounder. he’s a complete mismatch when we have the ball, but we’d need to keep him from getting worked over when we’re on D.

Laravia is another walking mismatch. big and skilled enough to post up opposing guards and quick enough to torch opposing bigs, who’s gonna guard him? and with his length and good feet, he’s a solid defender, and he would improve in our system.

Degenhart is an awful lot like Laravia, though perhaps a bit bouncier. he’s a handful.

C. McCaffrey is a unique floor general. an elite passer (and THE best post entry passer in the nation) who rarely makes mistakes (he’s perennially among the nation’s elite in assists-to-turnover ratio), he is physically tough and can guard all 5 positions (which might account for part of his injury history). does this make him a defensive unicorn? he doesn’t look to score much, but will take and knock down open shots (he hit 5 threes in a recent game). a leader of men who inspires respect from teammates, he’s as close to a coach on the floor as i’ve seen at the collegiate level, and he plays with a whip-your-ass physicality and mentality.

Bench:

guard - Julian Rishwain (sophomore; 6’5” 190; San Francisco)

guard - Patrick McCaffrey (sophomore; 6’9” 200; Iowa)

wing - Grant Nelson (freshman; 6’11” 225; North Dakota St)

forward - Caleb Lohner (sophomore; 6’8” 235; BYU)

center - Ryan Young (junior; 6’10” 240; Northwestern)

point guard - Augustus Marciulionis (freshman; 6’4” 195; Saint Mary’s)

Rishwain can create, drive, or spot up. he’s fearless and long (but thin) and can guard any spot on the perimeter. but he plays to the level of his competition, good or bad. he’s got a lot of game but is a candidate to redshirt because of his lack of strength. if he develops some consistency, he’s got a bright future.

Young would be the third big in my rotation. a highly skilled, active post scorer who can pass the ball. his body still looks like it did as a freshman which limits his effectiveness due to poor conditioning. that wouldn’t happen with this team’s strength and conditioning program (or he’s gonna be looking for another place to play).

Lohner is a versatile forward who can guard multiple positions and stretch the floor. a high energy athlete, he’d bring offensive firepower without being expected to create shots for himself like he frequently does now.

P. McCaffrey (Connor’s brother) is a super long off guard who can jump out of the gym, run for days, and guard all over the court. the sky is the limit for this athlete, but weakness is his biggest weakness. ideally i would redshirt him and let his body catch up to his game, but he might be good enough to earn starter minutes despite his slight frame.

Nelson is a poor man’s Chet Holmgren. a super long but super thin wing (he doesn’t have Holmgren’s physicality), he can block a shot on one end, then cross you over and hit the three on the other. however weakness is his biggest weakness, so i’d redshirt him and then let him explode when his strength catches up with his talent.

Marciulionis, a Lithuanian, is a true point guard with a pure stroke and quick feet. that being said, he’s a very slender foreigner. i’d redshirt him to allow him time to adjust to the game before expecting him to lead my team next year.

El Gringo

Mentor
T
i put together two teams using only names that haven’t been used (except for Kessler who I’ve been hyping forever, and Murphy who i treasure), AND that could reasonably be assembled by an actual coaching staff. i’ve purposefully avoided trying to compile an all-star-type roster in order to show (i hope!) that there are plenty of White athletes that could play on/for competitive teams. additionally, i’ve intentionally balanced my roster with freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, just like actual teams have to do.

finally, i’ve declined to copy/paste their current stats, because laziness.

i prioritize versatility and length on defense and good decision making and shooting on offense. my rosters will reflect this philosophy.

Team 1:

i’ve imagined this team to come from a Power 5 conference, with all the consequent resources for recruiting, and the chance to occasionally snag a higher profile recruit/transfer.

Starters:

center - Walker Kessler (sophomore; 7’1” 245; Auburn)

stretch 4 - Jack Nunge (junior; 7’0” 247; Xavier)

wing - Lazar Stefanovic (freshman; 6’7” 186; Utah)

guard - Christian Braun (junior; 6’6” 218; Kansas)

point guard - Grayson Murphy (senior; 6’3” 190; Belmont)

despite being buried on the bench at UNC and an afterthought when he transferred to Auburn, Kessler is the nation’s premiere shot blocker and post defender. he’s long and bouncy, but he’s raw and still very much a work in progress on the offensive end, though he’s adept at catching lobs and finishing above the rim.

Nunge is an agile, long, shot blocking stretch 4. he’s comfortable playing on the perimeter when we have the ball and can move his feet well enough with his length to guard multiple positions.

Stefanovic is a long and dynamic but spindly Serbian scoring machine. i’d try to redshirt him, but if he’s talented enough to make the adjustment to bigtime college ball and earn starter minutes, then he’d get the nod.

Braun is a bigger, bouncier, completely better version of another current Jayhawk who is projected to be a lottery pick in this year’s NBA draft (but who is black). Braun can, quite literally, beat you in every way: shooting, driving, dunking on your head, defending, rebounding, passing, and blocking shots. his only drawback is he’s too unselfish, which is why his scoring average isn’t higher. dude is a beast! (and i’m surprised no one has mentioned him.)

Murphy is the type of point guard i dream of having on my team. he can totally dominate a game without scoring. the efficiency metrics say he’s THE most effective and impactful player in college basketball, and i tend to agree (outside of perhaps Chet Holmgren). he can cut up opposing defenses with his creativity and shut down the opposition with his d. and, when/if it’s needed, he can score ... so opponents have to guard him.

Bench:

post - John Harrar (senior; 6’9” 240; Penn St)

forward - Ben Gregg (freshman; 6’10” 225; Gonzaga)

wing - Tyler Wahl (junior; 6’9” 221; Wisconsin)

guard - Matthew Mayer (senior; 6’9” 225; Baylor)

point guard - Tyler Kolek (freshman; 6’3” 190; Marquette)

guard - Payton Sandfort (freshman; 6’7” 215; Iowa)

Harrar is the third big in my rotation. he’s a rugged defender and rebounder, but he really shines on the offensive glass. he can contribute offensively without running plays for him, and he’s a terrific leader on the court and in the locker room. he’s the type of player that creates the culture of a winning program.

Mayer is a very long and versatile defender who can play and guard multiple positions. offensively, he’s capable of knocking down shots from all three levels and he doesn’t make many mistakes. he can be plugged into nearly any lineup i want/need to run for the situation.

Wahl is an elite defender and athletic playmaker who plays much bigger than his size (and might crack my starting lineup). he can guard multiple positions, is a plus rebounder, and is a high percentage scorer/low volume shooter at all three levels. and dude will dunk on your head.

Gregg is a highly skilled stretch 4 with bigtime potential. he’d be redshirted to let his body catch up to his game.

Sandfort is a long sharp shooting assassin who can play and guard multiple positions, but his biggest weakness is weakness. i’d redshirt him and expect him to become a legend in the program before his career wrapped up.

Kolek is a pure point guard with tremendous vision and passing ability and quick feet. he’s skinny as a rail, though, and has a broken jump shot so i’d try to redshirt him.

Team 2:

I’ve imagined this team to play in a “mid-major” conference and unlikely to be able to lure highly rated players. instead, we’d have to find hidden gems and have a VERY good skill/strength development program. as such, redshirting would be a key cog in the machine. additionally, since we’d probably have a difficult time getting talented big men, i’d target sharp shooting, albeit undersized, post players rather than oversized stiffs. conversely, we’d target long wing players to make it possible to have a high-pressure defensive style with lots of switching and an up-tempo offense.

Starters:

forward - Hunter Schofield (senior; 6’8” 225; Dixie St)

forward - Justin Bean (senior; 6’7” 210; Utah St)

wing - Jake Laravia (junior; 6’8” 235; Wake Forest)

wing - Tyson Degenhart (freshman; 6’7” 232; Boise St)

point guard - Connor McCaffrey (senior; 6’5” 205; Iowa)

Schofield is an active rebounder and moves well without the ball. he can space the floor well enough to draw opposing bigs out of the lane and is strong enough to guard bigger post players.

Bean is a walking bucket at all three levels. at times he tries to do too much because of the team he’s on, but he can really light up the nets, and despite his lack of size is a ferocious rebounder. he’s a complete mismatch when we have the ball, but we’d need to keep him from getting worked over when we’re on D.

Laravia is another walking mismatch. big and skilled enough to post up opposing guards and quick enough to torch opposing bigs, who’s gonna guard him? and with his length and good feet, he’s a solid defender, and he would improve in our system.

Degenhart is an awful lot like Laravia, though perhaps a bit bouncier. he’s a handful.

C. McCaffrey is a unique floor general. an elite passer (and THE best post entry passer in the nation) who rarely makes mistakes (he’s perennially among the nation’s elite in assists-to-turnover ratio), he is physically tough and can guard all 5 positions (which might account for part of his injury history). does this make him a defensive unicorn? he doesn’t look to score much, but will take and knock down open shots (he hit 5 threes in a recent game). a leader of men who inspires respect from teammates, he’s as close to a coach on the floor as i’ve seen at the collegiate level, and he plays with a whip-your-ass physicality and mentality.

Bench:

guard - Julian Rishwain (sophomore; 6’5” 190; San Francisco)

guard - Patrick McCaffrey (sophomore; 6’9” 200; Iowa)

wing - Grant Nelson (freshman; 6’11” 225; North Dakota St)

forward - Caleb Lohner (sophomore; 6’8” 235; BYU)

center - Ryan Young (junior; 6’10” 240; Northwestern)

point guard - Augustus Marciulionis (freshman; 6’4” 195; Saint Mary’s)

Rishwain can create, drive, or spot up. he’s fearless and long (but thin) and can guard any spot on the perimeter. but he plays to the level of his competition, good or bad. he’s got a lot of game but is a candidate to redshirt because of his lack of strength. if he develops some consistency, he’s got a bright future.

Young would be the third big in my rotation. a highly skilled, active post scorer who can pass the ball. his body still looks like it did as a freshman which limits his effectiveness due to poor conditioning. that wouldn’t happen with this team’s strength and conditioning program (or he’s gonna be looking for another place to play).

Lohner is a versatile forward who can guard multiple positions and stretch the floor. a high energy athlete, he’d bring offensive firepower without being expected to create shots for himself like he frequently does now.

P. McCaffrey (Connor’s brother) is a super long off guard who can jump out of the gym, run for days, and guard all over the court. the sky is the limit for this athlete, but weakness is his biggest weakness. ideally i would redshirt him and let his body catch up to his game, but he might be good enough to earn starter minutes despite his slight frame.

Nelson is a poor man’s Chet Holmgren. a super long but super thin wing (he doesn’t have Holmgren’s physicality), he can block a shot on one end, then cross you over and hit the three on the other. however weakness is his biggest weakness, so i’d redshirt him and then let him explode when his strength catches up with his talent.

Marciulionis, a Lithuanian, is a true point guard with a pure stroke and quick feet. that being said, he’s a very slender foreigner. i’d redshirt him to allow him time to adjust to the game before expecting him to lead my team next year.
Thats one hell of a list Jimmy! What a roster!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
T

Thats one hell of a list Jimmy! What a roster!
thanks, El Gringo. there are just so many good players out there that receive little to no acclaim. i suppose (((they))) don’t find them exciting enough ...

for example, Northern Iowa’s AJ Green is the two-time Larry Bird Player of the Year in the Missouri Valley Conference. i can’t recall a SINGLE mention of him on any national basketball media broadcast, whether it be tv, radio, podcast, or website.

El Gringo

Mentor
Any of you guys wishing you had Bohannon on your roster right now??Three treys in the 4th including the game winner against Indiana!

Last edited:

Phall

Master

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
some excellent work by our guys today, including Boise St freshman Degenhart (who i recruited!) having an isolation play run for him with the championship game on the line ... and hitting the game-winner.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i know the two big blacks for Arizona get all the hype, but i would take Toubelis over them in a heartbeat. he’s more versatile and more efficient than either of the hype jobs, but i guess he doesn’t make enough “splash plays” to get noticed?

i will add that the metrics back up my position, contrary to the “experts’ evaluation.”