Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The All-American boy married the All-American girl:

20933-1.jpg

mick01.jpg

KG2422 is on the money - you should have seen the coverage here in
L.A.. The preview was all Tiger and Singh. Then as things went on, it was
... still all Tiger. Then we had to suffer through the reports on Tiger "...
outplaying everyone," the last three rounds, on and on.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think that VJ Singh called Mickelson a "fake". I had heard his comments about not being a fake like other guys on the tour, and recently heard it being to Phil. I know he and Phil had a high profile spat in the locker room after their spikes on the green incident. Any one hear anything about that.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I read of the spike incident. Vijay may have been trying to rattlePhil,hopingto mess up his game. From what I understand, Phil showed some resolve and confronted him in the locker room. If Phil is a fake, he is doing a great job fooling people. Our local talk show host was fielding calls the other day for the question: Tiger Woods , love him or hate him. It was surprising to hear how manyhate him. An older woman who worked last years tourney at Whistling Straights called in to say how much she loved Phil. He was very friendly to the employees and signed autograph's for everybody. John Dailey impressed her in same manner. But she absolutely can't stand Woods. She said he's arrogant and cold and wouldn't sign for anyone. He's got a temper and his language is horrible. She was all riled up, kind of funny to hear. Edited by: Bart

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tiger's image is as carefully crafted by the media as that of any system politician.

Woods kinda reminds me of the current American Emperor in that the media treats him with kid gloves, and he only talks to the media in very controlled environments, where he is asked only predictable, softball questions about his game with no other subjects allowed to be broached.

foreverfree

Mentor
jaxvid said:
I know he and Phil had a high profile spat in the locker room after their spikes on the green incident. Any one hear anything about that.

I didn't even hear about the "spikes on the green" incident. What was that incident? Can anyone tell me, please?

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
How about Woods flying home to Florida on Sunday night after play was halted because of weather, when he was only two shots off the lead?!?!

How does one explain this behavior from the guy whose entire being is supposedly devoted to preparing for and winning majors? How do you simply pack up and leave when the field was coming back to meet you as the course grew tougher and tougher to play? If he had become eligible for the playoff what an embarrassment that would have been.

But then again probably not. Any white golfer who had left like that would have been royally grilled and received lots of negative publicity. But there's one set of media rules for Tiger and a different one for everyone else.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship05/news/story? id=2136898[/url]

foreverfree

Mentor
Grab today's Wilmington (DE) News Journal, pull out the sports page and there in the teaser box at the top is Woods holding the NEC trophy and flashing the watermelon grin that has to have become by now the ugliest and most repulsive image on the American sports scene, except in the minds of true Tigerophiles, like my mother.

John

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yeah I noticed that too. Woods is really ugly. He seems to be getting uglier as he ages. I mean for a black/asian guy, they all look bad to me but recently he is starting to look horrible.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This doesn't sound good at all. From the wire:

"Phil Mickelson's start to the 2008 season was in doubt when his doctor directed him to stay in bed for two days for a respiratory problem. Mickelson postponed a news conference for today at the Buick Invitational in San Diego, and his management company said his goal was to play in the pro-am Wednesday so that he could play in the tournament.

"Mickelson has suffered from heavy congestion, shortness of breath and fatigue since October."

SeaJim

Guru
jaxvid said:
Yeah I noticed that too. Woods is really ugly. He seems to be getting uglier as he ages. I mean for a black/asian guy, they all look bad to me but recently he is starting to look horrible.

I know a bit off topic from Phil and a few years late on the reply, but this is very true to this day. I wonder how his wife can honestly be attracted to this man (I know, it is all about $$$). Maybe she puts a paper bag over his head...??

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Phil Mickelson just won the Northern Trust Open for his 33rd career victory.

Hopefully, this will be the start of good things to come this year for Phil, and, more importantly, to have someone keep TigerWoods out of the winner`s circle once in a while.Phil needsto win a major or two this year to really solidify his status as one of the golf`s great players.

Good luck, Phil!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the back nine of the final round, and Mickelson's challenger, Jeff Quinney, wilted and Phil had a fairly easy win. Those two had run away from the rest of the field and it was a two-man duel all day.

33 career wins is very impressive in this era. Singh has about the same amount but is in his mid-40s so unless he is a true freak of nature he shouldn't have many morewins left. No one else currently playing (besides Woods of course) looks to be alock to win 20 tournaments much less 30 or more. Mickelson should end up in the top ten all time in career wins (he's 13th now), but as Van Slyke says he needs more majors to go with them to be universally acknowledged as one of the all time greats. Considering how long it tookhimto get his first major but how quickly the first one led to three within two years, Phil should be able to win at least 3 more, which would get him up in pretty rarified air. He should end up as roughly equivalent in the Woods regime to what Player and Palmer were during Nicklaus' long reign.

Mickelson has been easy to criticize at times, but he's been the best and most consistent threat to Tiger Woods over the past ten years. If only he could have pulled out a few of the many majors he nearly won early oninstead of doing his best Greg Norman imitation, but at least he's now learned how to win them and how to concentrate all his preparations for them as Woods does.

BTW I don't think Woods is ugly at all, as mentioned by a couple of posters in this thread. He is quite intelligent and that shines through in his countenance. I gained respect for him last year when I went to the U.S. Open at Oakmont and witnessed first hand the crushing media presence that surrounds him at all times on the course, along with the fans. It takes tremendous concentration to ignore everything going on around him and focus entirely on each shot in such conditions. I've always admired athletes that can dominate, not just once but again and again, and Woods does it with a fair amount of class. Or to put it another way, he could be far, far worse in his conduct and get a pass for it.

It should have been obvious years ago to all but the most die-hard black supremacist true believers that Woods, to the extent he has Negro blood, is a fluke. Blacks will never come remotely close to threatening white dominance of golf. Blacks' hand-eye coordination is noticeably inferior to that of whites and Asians on average and hand-eye coordination is a much more important element in the bigger scheme of things when it comes to athleticism than is short straight line bursts of speed.

Woods' golfing ability comes from his Asian mother first and foremost. Twenty years from now I expect that both the men's and women's tours will be roughly half white and half Asian. The women's tour is almost there now. The zero percent presence of blacks in golfing 12 years into the Tiger era in spite of it being their favorite sport after basketball and football, is downright comical. Swimming isn't the only sport where blacks naturally sink to the bottom. . . Edited by: Don Wassall

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
The zero percent presence of blacks in golfing 12 years into the Tiger era in spite of it being their favorite sport after basketball and football, is downright comical.

Don: This is amazing, isn`t it?There isn`t even another black witha PGA card that I know of. In years past, there were a few blacks-Charlie Sifford, Jim Thorpe and Calvin Peete-who could at least play on the PGA Tour and not embarrass themselves. But, as you point out a dozen years after Tiger came on the scene, he`s all alone as a so-called black golfer. If Tiger were 100% black, I don`t believe he would be on the Tour at all, let alone bethe preeminent player in the game.

Swimming isn't the only sport where blacks naturally sink to the bottom. . .

This reminds me of Anthony Ervin, the media`s poster boy for African-American swimmers at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. His mother is white, and his father is a mix of Native American and black(the same was true for Tiger Woods` father if I recallcorrectly) yet we were supposed to believe that Ervin represented a new breed of swimmer. Ervin was sopale at the Olympics eight years agohe almost could`ve passed for white if it hadn`t been for the rug on his head.

Blacks can`t play golf or swim anywhere near as well as whites. And the few that cando these sports with any skill are probably notcloseto beingpure black. (Actually, it really feels strange typing "black swimmer" and "black golfer.")

Solomon Kane

Mentor
If you do well *in anything*, and you have *some black blood*, you get called "a great black...fill in the blank...golfer, lawyer, etc.,

If you do lousy at anything, and you are part black, you will *never* be called "another typical lousy black wrestler, swimmer, lawyer, engineer..."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tiger Woods' thuggish caddie rips Phil Mickelson:

Steve Williams drew the ire of the world's third-ranked golfer when, during an event in New Zealand, he said, "I wouldn't call Mickelson a great player, 'cause I hate the [expletive]," according to The Guardian newspaper of Britain.

In a next-day interview with another newspaper, the New Zealand-based Star Times, Williams also said, "I don't particularly like the guy. He pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect. It's no secret we don't get along either."

full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3770488

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a win today for Phil Mickelson, who spent last night getting IVs in the hospital after becoming sick and dehydrated, to win at Doral by a stroke. It's his second win this season. After a slow start in the first few tournaments of the year the media was predictably all over him, so it's even more satisfying to see this happen. Geoff Ogilvie is the only other player with more than one win so far in '09.

Phil now has 36 career wins, tied for 12th all time. Quite an accomplishment in this era when very few golfers have even 10 career titles.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Congrats to Phil. A great win against a tough field. I'm not a big golf fan but I kept one eye on this thing over the weekend checking the leaderboard every so often.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
36 career wins! That's excellent. He's recovered his confidence...let'shope that this carries over into the majors. so long as he remains calm and plays the percentage shot, he will winsome more majors.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Congratulations, Phil!

Man, do I ever want to see him win the Masters this year.

By the way, I was looking at the total purses for both PGA Tour events held last weekend-there was also one in Puerto Rico-and it was $12 million.

You guys with kids get them swinging golf clubs so they can support you in retirement.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Best wishes to Amy and Phil after learning of this bad news. Amy's a real sweetheart, a former college cheerleader who seems devoted to Phil and vice versa. She always struck me not only as beautiful but as very feminine, which is a great compliment in this feminist-run society:

Mickelson WDs after wife diagnosed with cancer

Phil Mickelson's wife, Amy, has been diagnosed with breast cancer, and the three-time major champion said Wednesday he will suspend his PGA TOUR schedule indefinitely.

According to a release from Mickelson's management company, his wife was to have more tests but begin treatment with major surgery as early as the next two weeks.
full article: http://www.pgatour.com/2009/r/05/20/mickelson/index.html

AmyMickelson.jpg

amy-mickelson-400.jpg

guest301

Hall of Famer
Praying for Mickelson, his wife and family. Next to the late Payne Stewart, Mickelson is my favorite golfer of all time.Edited by: guest301

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Congratulations to Phil Mickelson for his victory in the HSBC Champions, his 4th victory of the season, and another win with Tiger Woods in the field.

smiley32.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
This was more then just a win with Woods in the field this was a win against Woods head to head. They were in the final pairing together, Woods was two back at the start and six back at the turn. It was an impressive win over his royal highness.

I hadn't paid too much attention to this tournament even though it has a huge payout because it's not a PGA event and thus received little media here in the states. But I did notice occasional blurbs about Tiger being on his was to another win over the field on Yahoo, guess that didn't work out for him.

Also an epic fail by Ernie Els who had a one stroke lead and was safely on the 18th fairway but hit the next one in the water to end up one back-ouch!