Phelps photoed with bong

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
This story drives me nuts. You have a hundred black athletes busted for pot every year, almost all black athletes smoke and the big offender, the FACE of pot use is going to be a white guy--Micheal Phelps! What stupid hypocrisy!

It will make a funny anti-drug commercial though--SMOKE POT: WIN 12 GOLD MEDALS!!!!

Phelps with bong

The Hock

Master
Yeah, I saw that yesterday, with the usual look what my lawyer wrote for me apology. But for endorsements there's no money in swimming, do Phelps is going to feel this.

Europe

Mentor
I wonder what the reaction would have beenif he was smoking in the Netherlands where I believe it is legal. What if he was getting drunk at a Super Bowl party, would they make a big deal about it.,since most sports promote drug taking(Alcohol).

He smokes dope and wins twelve medals- That's his secret!

j41181

Master
So Michael Phelps smoked pot, while it was a big mistake on his part, Kobe Bryant and Isiah Thomas were far worse. Talk about sexually harassing women.

If Lebron James ever got into such a scandal, the media would immediately find excuses and forgive him.

That's what happens when you "legalize" illegal drugs in this country.

j41181

Master
PhillyBirds, congratulations to your 500 posts!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Criminal charge?? sh*t, half the kids in the local University would be in Prison if they actually prosecuted everyone who smoked a joint. While I don't smoke anything myself (Marijuana or otherwise)I do not think it makes much sense to put someone who smoked a little weed in prison.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
<H1 align=center>Why Condemn Phelps, When We Ought to Condemn the Laws That Brand Him aCriminal</H1>
<DIV =entry>

Add decorated Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps to the growing list of successful Americans who happens to indulge in marijuana during his down time. The tabloid news story is making international headlines, though it's difficult to understand why.

After all, Mr. Phelps is hardly alone in his herbal inclinations. According to national and federal surveys, nearly one out of two Americans have tried weed, and among those age 18 to 25 - Phelps is 23 - pot smoking is especially popular.

Contrary to the messages promoted by the federal government, marijuana consumers include people from all walks of life, ethnic classes, and socio-economic backgrounds. America's current President said that he smoked marijuana regularly as a young man. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, former Vice President Al Gore, former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, and legendary astronomer Carl Sagan all have admitted using marijuana at different times during their lives.

According to the U.S. government, most current marijuana users are gainfully employed. Statistically, most marijuana users are successful academically and financially. A National Bureau of Economic Research study even reported that marijuana use is associated with earning higher wages. Some former and current users, like Virgin tycoon Sir Richard Branson, Progressive Auto Insurance founder Peter Lewis, and New York State Mayor Michael Bloomberg are even multi-millionaires.

Perhaps the public's fascination with this story is because Phelps is recognized as one of the most talented and successful athletes in the entire world. (He holds the record for the most gold medals won by any athlete in history.) But Phelps isn't an anomaly in this regard either. Many top athletes use cannabis off the field - noting that it helps them to relax after the excitement of sports competition and alleviate the pain from nagging injuries. It also won't leave them with a hangover or adversely impact their performance the next day.

A 1997 New York Times investigation estimated that up to 70 percent of pro-basketball players occasionally indulge in the use of pot, and many high-profile football players - most notably Miami Dolphins star running-back Ricky Williams, former Dallas Cowboys all-star Mark Stepnoski, and even Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes - have spoken candidly about their off-field marijuana use. In fact, Phelps isn't even the first gold medalist to admit to smoking cannabis. That honor belongs to Canadian snowboarder and 1998 Winter Olympics gold medal winner Ross Rebagliati, who tested positive for having used cannabis in the days prior to his history-making performance.

Sure, there will be some who will say that this latest chapter in Phelp's life is deserving of criticism because the 14-time gold medalist is sending a poor message to young children. And what message would that be? That you can occasionally smoke marijuana and still be successful in life. Well sorry if the truth hurts.

Fact is, most Americans who use pot do so for the same reasons - and in the same manner - as do those who drink alcohol. According to a recent University of Alberta study, the majority of adults who use cannabis do so recreationally to "enhance relaxation." Researchers concluded: "[M]ost adult marijuana users regulate use to their recreational time and do not use compulsively. Rather, their use is purposively intended to enhance their leisure activities and manage the challenges and demands of living in contemporary modern society. Generally, participants reported using marijuana because it enhanced relaxation and concentration, making a broad range of leisure activities more enjoyable and pleasurable."

No doubt Michael Phelps indulged in the use of marijuana for these very same reasons. He ought not to be condemned for it nor branded a criminal for his actions.

For that matter, neither should anyone else.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/armentano-p/armentano-p40.html

j41181

Master
Don Wassall, great post there!

This sort of thing is nothing new. Various top athletes, personalities, and many young adults indulge themselves in illegal drugs every now and then, and most of them get away with it. Using drugs makes one only an OFFENDER, not a criminal. It's a trend that has been happening for decades. That's what happens when illegal drugs are legalized.

What Michael Phelps did makes him an offender, not a criminal. It set a bad example for the public and for children, but a sincere public apology can let bygones, be bygones. Of course his images will forever be tarnished, he knows that, everyone knows that. But he should not be viewed as a criminal, for he did not physically HURT anyone.

The bias media, and the LAW need to cut him some slack, he is after all, an AMERICAN ICON and LEGEND for heaven sakes!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Did whoever took the picture of Phelps hitting the bong sell it? Any public figure in this country should expect to be betrayed by "friends" looking for a quick buck or "15 minutes of fame."

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it's amazing the manufactured "outrage" over this photo. i have never used marijuana, but i don't have a problem with those who do as long as they're not driving while under the influence. but regardless, that's not the issue here.

the issue: for Phelps to be held up as a pariah for smoking some bud, while black afflete after black afflete is slapped on the wrist when caught, truly shows the double standard in behavior that people have for whites and blacks.

Hey, Kellogg, while I like to support Michigan companies, which is really unhealthier, for athletes or the rest, Pop Tarts and Fruit Loops, or a bong hit?

I don't know what to make of this situation. On the one hand, this country has such a puritanical attitude towards marijuana to the point where they consider it equal to crack or heroin (which I find really preposterous). Considering that alcohol (a drug) is legal and is considered harmless only because of all the money that is wrapped up in it just goes to show how blatantly hypocritical America is towards reefer. On the other hand, I don't know how I'd react if someone took a less-than-flattering picture of me smoking on a bong. Would I ever be able to like this person ever again?

This incident is further proof that the sports industry is composed of hypersensitive people hell-bent on destroying athletes' reputations whenever they see fit. Witness Sean Avery's expulsion from hockey because of some off-color remarks he made about some ex-skanks of his.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
OldSchoolBoy75 said:
On the one hand, this country has such a puritanical attitude towards marijuana to the point where they consider it equal to crack or heroin (which I find really preposterous). Considering that alcohol (a drug) is legal and is considered harmless only because of all the money that is wrapped up in it just goes to show how blatantly hypocritical America is towards reefer.

The "Reefer Madness" era of the 1930s seems sophisticated by comparison to the hysterical puritannical attitudes now about weed.

But the neo-puritans are cracking down on alcohol too. Backdoor prohibition bit by bit is the strategy. Beware -- the DUI roadblock can be anywhere, even in the middle of a forest:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09039/947720-85.stm

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a full-fledged Reefer Madness witchhunt is underway against Phelps:

Lawyers: Arrests made in Phelps case

Authorities in the South Carolina county where Michael Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe have been arresting people as they seek to make a case against the superstar swimmer, lawyers for two arrested people said Thursday.

Attorneys Joseph McCulloch and Dick Harpootlian told The Associated Press they each represent a client charged with possession of marijuana who was questioned about the party Phelps attended near the University of South Carolina campus in November.

The lawyers said the two clients were renters at the house where the party apparently took place. Harpootlian said his client was at the party, but didn't see Phelps smoke marijuana, while McCulloch said his client wasn't there. The two have since moved and were arrested after police executed a search warrant at their new home and accused them of having a small amount of marijuana there.

"After they arrested him, they didn't ask him, 'Where did you get the marijuana?' or 'Who sold it to you?' Almost all the questions they asked him were about Michael Phelps," Harpootlian said.

The lawyers would not name their clients, who each face up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine if convicted on the pending charges.

The Richland County Sheriff's Department would not comment on the lawyers' remarks.

"As soon as we're ready to release information on this case, we will [comment], and we're still in the middle of this investigation," Lt. Chris Cowan said.

After the photo was published Feb. 1, Sheriff Leon Lott said his office would investigate and possibly charge Phelps, though officials have not specified what the offense might be.

Phelps, 23, and his representatives have not disputed the photo's accuracy. Phelps has issued a public apology, acknowledging "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after the photo appeared. USA Swimming has suspended Phelps for three months and the Kellogg Co. has cut ties with him, although other sponsors are sticking with the swimmer.

McCulloch, who said his client was out of town at the time, doubted that anything his client told authorities would assist them in the case against Phelps.

"Our clients answered questions but I don't know that their information would be helpful to law enforcement," McCulloch said. "It seems to me that Richland County has a host of its own crime problems much more serious than a kid featured in a photograph with a bong in his hand."

Lott has said Phelps should not get a break because of his fame. Harpootlian said that he believes police are being overzealous.

"I find it amazing the justification is they don't want to treat him any differently just because he is a celebrity, and he is being treated far differently than any other Joe Blow who might have smoked marijuana four or five months ago."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of drug paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Columbia television station WIS-TV was first to report earlier this week that eight arrests related to the party had been made, but did not name a source. McCulloch said college students and lawyers have told him that about eight arrests have been made.

However, although the Richland County Sheriff's Department did execute search warrants last weekend on a couple locations at the University of South Carolina, the charges the eight people face are from last weekend and not from the November incident involving Phelps. A source told ESPN that those charged were mostly college students.

Lott has made fighting drug crimes a central plank of his career. He rose from patrol officer to captain of the narcotics division in the early 1990s. He was first elected sheriff in 1996 and has held the post since.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=3901721

Europe

Mentor
The gov't does nothing about illegal immigrants but carries out a witch hunt for this.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Europe said:
The gov't does nothing about illegal immigrants but carries out a witch hunt for this.

Exactly! They leave the borders wide open so the American taxpayers can pick up the tab for the untermenschen invaders & their anchor baby spawn!

I'm not a dope smoker, but believe it should be up to the states to decide on. This is standard hypocrisy. The "powers that be" allow mass drug shipments into the U.S. to justify funding for, empowerment of the government for the "war on drugs". It's a ruse of the 1st order!Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Europe

Mentor
Great article. I am thinking about getting rid of cable. It's all hype. The media isn't that radical. They all support the corporate system.They don't want to change the economic system because they make a ton of money on it. I think it was Dewey who said "Politics is the shadow cast by big business over society." Wall Street and the big executives are laughing at us.

Europe said:
Great article. I am thinking about getting rid of cable. It's all hype. The media isn't that radical. They all support the corporate system.They don't want to change the economic system because they make a ton of money on it. I think it was Dewey who said "Politics is the shadow cast by big business over society." Wall Street and the big executives are laughing at us.

I do not hate business or real capitalism. The media is radical because they all play off of Sol Alinsky's rules for radicals handbook, where the believers become part of the educational system, government, media, and corporations and change these institutions to fit their agenda. That's what I'm saying, we should do it as well, except to be righteous, fair and open and not deceitful like they are. A real business doesn't care about about diversity, political correctness, or any of that other garbage. They care about selling their products or services and making money, so they can live their lives and not be bothered. But when you get radical lefties in the mix, that doesn't happen because they hamstring everything, and this has a domino effect.

Anyway, I do find it ridiculous the effort they are putting into Phelp's. The sheriff must just want to be famous, because I don't see how they could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Phelp's was in possesion of less than an ounce of marijauna. There's no physical evidence, and I doubt there's credible witnesses who will testify to this. I think if this went to court, any reasonable judge would dismiss the case, and even if you had a terrible judge a jury would come back with a quick not-guilty verdict.

In agreement with what DixieDestroyer said, there shouldn't be federal drug laws, state should be deciding these issues under the 10th amendment in the bill of rights. Our federal government is right though in stopping illegal shipments of drugs into the country, as far as I'm concerned that's a foreign threat and we have the right to blow-up drug runners crossing our sovereign border.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
More shocking news! Michael Phelps has had sex!!!!!! The tabloid that broke the bong story now has the startling revelation that Phelps has had sex with a stripper. He also drinks beer and chews tobacco. Perhaps he should be kicked off of the Olympic team.
smiley36.gif

The comments to the story linked below are telling. People are getting tired of the "expose" crap that is nothing more then a person's private business and not shocking in the least.

Phelps and stripper