PC Purge Continues

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
From the blog of James Edwards.

Every state has two statues in the Statuary Hall of the Capitol Building in Washington, DC:
<blockquote>

The federal law creating the National Statuary Hall was
passed in 1864, allowing each state to provide "statues, in marble or
bronze, not exceeding two in number for each state, of deceased
persons, who have been citizens thereof, and illustrations for their
historic renown or for distinguished civic or military service as each
State may deem worthy of this national commemoration."Â￾</blockquote>

Ohio's two statues are of President James A. Garfield, and former
Governor William Allen. But not for long. William Allen supported
slavery, so he's got to be thrown down the memory hole. State
legislators are currently searching for a replacement who "better
represents the values and heritage of the state of Ohio"Â￾, etc. They were in Cincinnati recently
to tour the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame, because one of the people on
the short list to replace Governor Allen is William Ellsworth Hoy, who
played for the Reds way back between 1894-1897, and again in 1902. Hoy
isn't exactly a household name, even among diehard baseball fans, so
why is he on the list?

Well, because he was the first deaf mute to play professional baseball.

Others on the list include the Wright Brothers, Thomas Edison, and Tecumseh. That's right â€" an Indian chief who made war on Americans
is thought to be a better representative of the values and heritage of
Ohio than a former governor. (Of course, Confederate heroes are still
the scum of the earth for defending the South against invasion. That's
different â€" they were white.)

I'm betting it comes down to the Indian, and the deaf mute. With the Indian winning in the end.

The Wright brothers and Edison are probably just in there to make it
look like this isn't really just an exercise in political correctness.
They were white men with real accomplishments, so they don't deserve
respect, but hatred.

But there's a couple other problems with the deaf guy. He may have
been physcially handicapped, but he was still an evil white man, for
one thing. For another, guess how he's listed in history books and on
the plaque at the Reds Hall of Fame? He's listed as William Ellsworth
"Dummy"Â￾ Hoy. That's right. The first deaf mute in Major League Baseball
was nicknamed Dummy, and is still referred to that way in official MLB
displays. Would selecting a deaf mute known as Dummy really be the best
way to show how enlightened Ohioans are?

I'm betting on the Indian. After all, not only was he not white, but
he killed a bunch of white people, which means he's the perfect choice
for Ohioans to demonstrate their hatred and contempt for their own
people, which is what political correctness is all about.

Bronk

Mentor
More material for the memory hole.

I suggest a compromise: a baseball playing indian, Chief Wahoo, of Cleveland.

It should be Edison or the Wright Brothers. They contributed so much. There is always William Tecumseh Sherman, but war heros are out. Then again, they could put in a statue of Pete Rose- but I would not bet on it.

bigunreal

Mentor
A lot of us would call Sherman many things, but never "hero."

Thomas Edison's impact on our civilization was arguably greater than anyone who ever lived. I've long advocated that his birthday should be a national holiday, if anyone's should.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Amen to what you said about Sherman, bigunreal. His name was a cuss word in Georgia for a century and might still be in some places there. Maybe Dixie Destroyer could fill us in on that. Anyway, I agree with you about Edison being a great choice. Political correctness is a deadly disease that must be stopped.

Bronk

Mentor
To hell with Sherman, the proponent of Total War.

I'll never forget how my mother, an Alabama native, responded to Sherman's "war is hell" quote: "and he knew how to make it hell."

DWFan

Mentor
Yeah Bronk, we still hate that dude in Alabama. I'll never figure out how anyone could try to make him a hero. I hate Sheridan too.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Amen to what you said about Sherman, bigunreal. His name was a cuss word in Georgia for a century and might still be in some places there. Maybe Dixie Destroyer could fill us in on that. Anyway, I agree with you about Edison being a great choice. Political correctness is a deadly disease that must be stopped.

Although Georgia (particularly metro Atlanta) has become inundated with yankee carpetbaggers the last 15+ years (no offense to any of my CF brethren
smiley2.gif
), many of us native Georgians still have utter contempt for the merciless Sherman and his trail of mass destruction. I had kin who fought for the CSA, so I am (also) no fan of Sherman.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Sherman was a complete dickhead, I wish the CSA had dispatched an army north when he went South to do the same thing to them, that would have had an effect.

Although I know why that didn't happen-the south considered it honorable to defend their own soil and the idea of a ruthless attack on citizens was beneath them. Too bad the barbarian gov't won.

Bronk

Mentor
Yeah, no offense to our northern brothers but I'm sure some of them are still using the silverware Sherman's "men" stole from us.

Paleocon

Guru
Hello everyone. This is my first post though I have been a long-time lurker. I found this site some time ago looking for players to use for an all-white Madden team. It is hard to find RBs and CBs you know.

As for the topic at hand I would suggest either William Howard Taft or Robert A. Taft. William Howard Taft was the only man to be President and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court (a feat I don't care to ever see repeated given the caliber of person assuming the Presidency these days). He was also a advocate of a limited executive which, for historians and the historically ignorant alike,makes him noteworthy only for his weight. Robert A. Taft during his time in the Senate fought against the New Deal and for a non-interventionist foreign policy (which today means he hated poor people and was a Hitler appeaser).

While Hoy's achievements are commendable, I certainly hope deafness and muteness are not representative of my home state. Also if only Cincinnati had a vote it would be Pete Rose and Joe Nuxhall.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Paleoncon, even though you've been reading for a while, welcome to CF! I agree that the Taft's would be good choices, both of them being members of the Old Right.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Maybe instead of the deaf mute ball player, they could put a statue up of Demond Wilson. After all, he was known as "Big dummy" on Sanford and son. Perhaps then it would take a little of the sting out of the offending sobriquet, and be PC by using a black man.
smiley2.gif