Paul McCloskey

Blue Devils

Mentor
Paul won the European Light Welterweight title yesterday with a ninth round kayo of Spaniard Daniel Rasilla. McCloskey is now 20-0(10).

Blue Devils

Mentor
From irish-boxing.com

Paul McCloskey's long overdue first European light-welterweight title defence against Guiseppe Lauri looks set to take place on June 4 at Belfast's Kings Hall.

Although no date has been officially announced, irish-boxing.com understands an official announcement for the Sky televised event.

Unbeaten Dungiven stylist McCloskey won the title in November by stopping Spaniard Daniel Rasilla in Magherafelt. However, he has since been out of the ring as a result of a mixture of an ongoing back injury and tv scheduling conflicts.

It now appears the wait is finally over and McCloskey can begin preparations in earnest for his mandatory contest against the tricky Italian.

Blue Devils

Mentor
McCloskey retains Euro belt

Unbeaten European light welterweight champion Paul McCloskey (21-0, 11 KOs) scored an eleventh round KO over Italian veteran Giuseppe Lauri (50-7, 29 KOs) to retain his belt on Friday night at King's Hall in Belfast, Northern Ireland. McClosley dropped Lauri in round two and laid him out in the eleventh with a right hand.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Paul will face tough Scot Barry Morrison in defence of his European title this weekend. The fight will be streamed live on http://www.rte.ie/live/

Irish lightweight prospect Andy Murray 21-0(12) will be on the undercard facing John Nolasco 18-4-4(8), who gave Litzau a scare a few years back.

Blue Devils

Mentor
From Fightnews

Unbeaten European light welterweight champion Paul McCloskey (22-0, 12 KOs) scored a seventh round KO over to retain his EBU belt against Barry Morrison (18-5, 8 KOs) on Saturday night at the Letterkenny Leisure Complex in Letterkenny, Ireland. McCloskey put Morrison on the deck in round five and finished him with a right left combination at 1:28 of round seven.

Unbeaten lightweight Andy Murray (22-0, 12 KOs) outpointed John Nolasco (18-5-4, 8 KOs) over ten rounds. The bout was scored 100-91.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Khan-vs-McCloskey next?

Looks like WBA super lightweight champion Amir Khan will next defend against European champ Paul McCloskey on April 16 in the UK, pending approval of SKY Sports. The Khan camp turned to McCloskey after negotiations with Lamont Peterson's handlers broke down. Michael Katsidis and Victor Ortiz remain possible options also.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I saw that fight. McCloskey is very athletic. But not sure if he had enough power to stop Khan. The fight was stopped prematurely due to a cut above his left eye. The ring doctor called it.

McCloskey was hoping to drown Khan in deep water toward the end of the fight, but got cut. I think the doctor was on the take, as well as the ref in the Berto v Ortiz fight last night.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Westside said:
I saw that fight. McCloskey is very athletic. But not sure if he had enough power to stop Khan. The fight was stopped prematurely due to a cut above his left eye. The ring doctor called it.

McCloskey was hoping to drown Khan in deep water toward the end of the fight, but got cut. I think the doctor was on the take, as well as the ref in the Berto v Ortiz fight last night.

I didn't see the fight but the scorecards had Khan winning every round.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Khan was winning evey round, but McCloskey had his moments and was not being brutalised as the English would say.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I didn't see the fight but the scorecards had Khan winning every round.

Khan probably did just enough to win every round, but he never dominated.

In fact McCloskey's excellent defensive skills made Khan miss a lot and look bad.

Khan was starting to tire after all those wild missed punches. I had a feeling McCloskey's plan was to try to stop him in the later rounds, but that crooked referee never gave him the chance.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Going forward McCloskey needs to mix offense with defense. He made Khan miss a lot but he never made him pay for it.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I hope Paul hires a good strength and conditioning coach. He needs to add muscle to his upper body. He was being pushed around albeit by a huge Jr Welter in Khan tho.

This fight is huge. If he can KO or decisively defeat the south american affelet who KO'd Khan, that would be a huge statement.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Was just checking the boxing section on ESPN.Com and they will be streaming/showing McCloskey's big fight with Prescott on ESPN3. It should be a good appetizer to Vitali's fight later.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Paul got the win in a close fight with Prescott. He sets himself up for championship matches at 140 lbs.