Passengers Foil "Terror" Attack

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Tom Iron

Mentor
GixieDestroyer,

Right on target with your take on this. It's really much ado about nothing. He was a black guy, so there's no way he's actually going to make a real "Bomb." So they've got to build the idea of fire crackers exploding into something more than it is/was. Mean time, we're not supposed to notice this lousy thing in Little Rock Arkansas with the two black guys killing the Salvation Army Major right in front of his kids.

Tom Iron...

Alpha Male

Mentor
At least Fox News mentioned "Christmas," as in a "Christmas trajedy" right along side warnings of a "Terror Scare." Meanwhile, I just had it out with my neo-conservative father over the issue of Israel and Paslestine. How can I make him see the other side? That's the problem. Most conservateives are led astray by what they are made to think via the Faux News,

foobar75

Master
Regardless of how the heck they paint this one, one thing is now certain. Commercial air travel, already a major hassle since 9/11, is about to become even uglier. I hope I have no need to fly this year, and to the extent possible, will be driving wherever I go.

In the wake of the terrorism attempt Friday on a Northwest Airlines flight, federal officials on Saturday imposed new restrictions on travelers that could lengthen lines at airports and limit the ability of international passengers to move about an airplane.

Cpl. Frederick of the Wayne County Airport Police and his bomb-sniffing dog patrolled Saturday at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport in in Romulus, Mich.
The government was vague about the steps it was taking, saying that it wanted the security experience to be "unpredictable"Â￾ and that passengers would not find the same measures at every airport â€" a prospect that may upset airlines and travelers alike.

But several airlines released detailed information about the restrictions, saying that passengers on international flights coming to the United States will apparently have to remain in their seats for the last hour of a flight without any personal items on their laps. It was not clear how often the rule would affect domestic flights.

Overseas passengers will be restricted to only one carry-on item, and domestic passengers will probably face longer security lines. That was already the case in some airports Saturday, in the United States and overseas.

The restrictions will again change the routine of air travel, which has undergone an upheaval since the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington in September 2001 and three later attempts at air terrorism.

Soon after the attempt on Friday, travelers at airports around the world began experiencing heightened screening in security lines. On one flight, from Newark Liberty International Airport to Little Rock, Ark., flight attendants kept cabin lights on for the entire trip instead of dimming them for takeoff and landing.

The limits, which brought to mind some of the most stringent policies after the 2001 attacks, come at a difficult time for the airline industry.

Travel has declined about 20 percent since 2008 because of the economy, and airlines have been dealing with numerous delays in the past week because of snowstorms on the East Coast and in the Midwest.

Airline industry executives said the new steps would complicate travel as vacationers return home from holiday trips and could also cause travelers to cancel plans for flights in 2010.

But the government seemed to discount those concerns. The homeland security secretary, Janet Napolitano, said in a statement Saturday that new measures were "designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere."Â￾ She said passengers should proceed with their holiday plans and "as always, be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to law enforcement officials."Â￾

The Transportation Security Administration, which governs security at airports and on airplanes in the United States, had no immediate comment on the steps. There also was no statement from the Air Transport Association, the trade group for American carriers.

Two foreign airlines, Air Canada and British Airways, disclosed the steps in notices on their Web sites. The airlines said the rules had been implemented by government security agencies including the T.S.A.

"Among other things,"Â￾ the statement on Air Canada's Web site read, "during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps."Â￾

The suspect in the Friday attempt, identified as Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, tried to ignite his incendiary device in the final hour of the flight while the plane was descending into Detroit.

On its Web site, American Airlines said the T.S.A. had ordered new measures for flights departing from foreign locations to the United States, including mandatory screening of all passengers at airport gates during the boarding process. All carry-on items would be screened at security checkpoints and again at boarding, the airline said. It urged passengers to leave extra time for screening and boarding.

In effect, the restrictions mean that passengers on flights of 90 minutes or less would most likely not be able to leave their seats at all, since airlines do not allow passengers to walk around the cabin while a plane is climbing to its cruising altitude.

The new restrictions began to be instituted Saturday on flights from Canada and Europe to the United States. Air Canada said it was waiving fees for the first checked bag, and it told passengers to be prepared for delays, cancellations and missed connections because of the new limits.

At airports Saturday, travelers recounted the immediate differences they experienced. Though passengers arriving from Frankfurt passed speedily through customs at Kennedy Airport in New York, they said that in Germany the security was intensified.

"I really was surprised,"Â￾ one passenger, Eva Clesle, said about the level of scrutiny in Frankfurt, adding that officials had inspected backpacks by opening "every single zip."Â￾

In Rochester, N.Y., a passenger waiting in a security line said she had seen other passengers removed for additional screening.

Many of Air Canada's flights in and out of La Guardia Airport in New York were canceled or delayed, and ticket agents blamed new security screenings.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/us/27security.html?_r=2

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Hopefully they will only ramp up security on flights into the US from foreign countries. It already takes too long to get through security on domestic flights. Besides there isn't much they can do, there is no way they are going to pat each and every passenger down. Other then more dogs and some explosive sensitive devices (which are probably too costly) there is not a whole lot they can do. I think they are being vague to make it look like they are doing something.

Bear Backer

Mentor
foobar75 said:
Regardless of how the heck they paint this one, one thing is now certain. Commercial air travel, already a major hassle since 9/11, is about to become even uglier. I hope I have no need to fly this year, and to the extent possible, will be driving wherever I go.

In the wake of the terrorism attempt Friday on a Northwest Airlines flight, federal officials on Saturday imposed new restrictions on travelers that could lengthen lines at airports and limit the ability of international passengers to move about an airplane.

Cpl. Frederick of the Wayne County Airport Police and his bomb-sniffing dog patrolled Saturday at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport in in Romulus, Mich.
The government was vague about the steps it was taking, saying that it wanted the security experience to be "unpredictable"Â￾ and that passengers would not find the same measures at every airport â€" a prospect that may upset airlines and travelers alike.

But several airlines released detailed information about the restrictions, saying that passengers on international flights coming to the United States will apparently have to remain in their seats for the last hour of a flight without any personal items on their laps. It was not clear how often the rule would affect domestic flights.

Overseas passengers will be restricted to only one carry-on item, and domestic passengers will probably face longer security lines. That was already the case in some airports Saturday, in the United States and overseas.

The restrictions will again change the routine of air travel, which has undergone an upheaval since the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington in September 2001 and three later attempts at air terrorism.

Soon after the attempt on Friday, travelers at airports around the world began experiencing heightened screening in security lines. On one flight, from Newark Liberty International Airport to Little Rock, Ark., flight attendants kept cabin lights on for the entire trip instead of dimming them for takeoff and landing.

The limits, which brought to mind some of the most stringent policies after the 2001 attacks, come at a difficult time for the airline industry.

Travel has declined about 20 percent since 2008 because of the economy, and airlines have been dealing with numerous delays in the past week because of snowstorms on the East Coast and in the Midwest.

Airline industry executives said the new steps would complicate travel as vacationers return home from holiday trips and could also cause travelers to cancel plans for flights in 2010.

But the government seemed to discount those concerns. The homeland security secretary, Janet Napolitano, said in a statement Saturday that new measures were "designed to be unpredictable, so passengers should not expect to see the same thing everywhere."Â￾ She said passengers should proceed with their holiday plans and "as always, be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior or activity to law enforcement officials."Â￾

The Transportation Security Administration, which governs security at airports and on airplanes in the United States, had no immediate comment on the steps. There also was no statement from the Air Transport Association, the trade group for American carriers.

Two foreign airlines, Air Canada and British Airways, disclosed the steps in notices on their Web sites. The airlines said the rules had been implemented by government security agencies including the T.S.A.

"Among other things,"Â￾ the statement on Air Canada's Web site read, "during the final hour of flight customers must remain seated, will not be allowed to access carry-on baggage, or have personal belongings or other items on their laps."Â￾

The suspect in the Friday attempt, identified as Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, tried to ignite his incendiary device in the final hour of the flight while the plane was descending into Detroit.

On its Web site, American Airlines said the T.S.A. had ordered new measures for flights departing from foreign locations to the United States, including mandatory screening of all passengers at airport gates during the boarding process. All carry-on items would be screened at security checkpoints and again at boarding, the airline said. It urged passengers to leave extra time for screening and boarding.

In effect, the restrictions mean that passengers on flights of 90 minutes or less would most likely not be able to leave their seats at all, since airlines do not allow passengers to walk around the cabin while a plane is climbing to its cruising altitude.

The new restrictions began to be instituted Saturday on flights from Canada and Europe to the United States. Air Canada said it was waiving fees for the first checked bag, and it told passengers to be prepared for delays, cancellations and missed connections because of the new limits.

At airports Saturday, travelers recounted the immediate differences they experienced. Though passengers arriving from Frankfurt passed speedily through customs at Kennedy Airport in New York, they said that in Germany the security was intensified.

"I really was surprised,"Â￾ one passenger, Eva Clesle, said about the level of scrutiny in Frankfurt, adding that officials had inspected backpacks by opening "every single zip."Â￾

In Rochester, N.Y., a passenger waiting in a security line said she had seen other passengers removed for additional screening.

Many of Air Canada's flights in and out of La Guardia Airport in New York were canceled or delayed, and ticket agents blamed new security screenings.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/us/27security.html?_r=2

Oh I Know, it is going to be a nightmare. I already hate to fly and it is going to be worse.
smiley18.gif
I have to fly twice very early in 2010. In Jan I have to go to San Diego for a work conference. Absolutely no possibility of driving to that one. Then in Feb I need to go to Dallas Texas for another conference. I suppose that one is drivable in theory, but it would be a horrendous drive. That one is supposed to optional, but really it is kind of one of those optional/mandatory deals because my boss is control freak. I might just have to see what the repercussions for not going to that one will be, but I have to go to San Diego.

Sometimes I think they are purposely using any excuse to make travel as difficult as possible for honest citizens while illegal aliens can cross our southern border with Mexico at will. They don't seem to be worried a damn bit about that. They will go insane about a crazy black guy with a pack of firecrackers but Pedro and God knows who else can literally just stroll across our borders, bringing drugs and God knows what else. Edited by: Bear Backer

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I wonder if DHS will catch any flack for this. Probably not since the guy was not an angry white man part of a far right paramilitary group.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
BB, good points. The TSA cracks down on 90 year old White ladies in wheelchairs, "wanding" them, etc...whilst the southern borders are wide open for the mass invasion of untermenschen. It's such a phony bunch of BS window dressing!
smiley7.gif

*** - I hate flying too, at 6'8 it's just awful ducking into one of the sardine cans. If I can't sit on the aisle in the exit or bulkhead rows, it's absolutely miserable.
smiley5.gif
We'll drive anywhere within 10-15+ hours (for "personal" travel) & I drive 4-6 hours (for business travel). I avoid air travel & airports (with their congestion & BS "security" hassles) like the plague!
smiley11.gif

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
More leveraging of this "terror" incident to infringe on American rights & privacy...

Supposed "Calls" For Full Body Imaging at Airports Increase....BS!
Oh goody. I just can't wait. I fly around 25 round trips a year, so I get to look forward to all of this extra harrassment. Of course, a well-dressed white guy MUST be a terrorist, so I'll be scanned/patted down while the hoodlum-looking black guy and the middle-eastern fellow who is reading his Quran will be waved right through
smiley5.gif
. Can't bother "profiling" based on best evidence, as that would be "racist" in the PC world.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The facts and witness reports on this one, as usual, don't add up. I smell a false flag to tighten the Orwellian death grip.

On a no fly list but makes it past security.

Well dressed man seen helping him through security.

Father warned US embassy about his son being a threat. Of course this is ignored.

Dutch passenger who tackled the bomber said "He was shaking. He didn't resist anything. It's just hard to believe that he was trying to blow up this plane. He was in a trance. He was very afraid." (Hardly sounds like a crazed Jihaddist. Sounds more like a drugged up patsy).

Bomber allowed to carry out attack

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Do you guys really think this was fake?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WS, I'm not sure about a false-flag, but I certainly don't trust anything pushed by the PTB's MSM as "justification" for more Orwellian, totalitarian crack-down on American's rights. I think this guy was either a bush-league, "wanna-be" amateur OR a patsy.

Tom Iron

Mentor
White Shogun,

This was fake in that it was a black guy. His plot wasn't to blow up the plane (as if a black guy could actually make and detonate a real bomb). The plot, I'm sure was to steal room and board from the American taxpayers and he'll succeed beyond his wildest dreams. I can see him advising his lawyer not to seek any type of leniency.

If it was actually a terrorist attack, I can just see Osama bin Laden in his cave asking his henchmen, "Okay, who's idea was it to use a black guy," and all the henchmen sitting around looking at the ground, not wanting to admit to such stupidity.

Tom Iron...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WB, it's not that everything is "fake" (per se), but we must take the MSM spoon-fed "disinfo" with a grain of salt. Remember the many objectives of the PTB/Globalist Elite who control the media (+ Hollyweird, Madison Avenue, the "educational system" & Corporate World). It's imperative to keep in mind the nefarious agenda of the Elite and their many controlled avenues of implementation (especially the MSM).

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't see that it was any more than what it was - an inept wannabe Muslim martyr trying to take down an airliner with an improvised bomb, stopped in the process by other passengers.

Now what the GOVERNMENT tries to do with it is another story. Instead of profiling Muslims, let's instead keep old ladies and little kids from going to the bathroom for an hour; let's keep people from reading books, watching DVD's or anything else; let's do whatever it takes to avoid looking at the elephant in the living room which is Islam and the intolerable and dangerous doctrine of political correctness.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
More than one person was arrested in connection with the attempted bombing, but the official statement still says only one person was arrested:

2 arrested in Christmas airline attackEdited by: White Shogun

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Glenn Greenwald puts the reaction in proper perspective:

<H2>The degrading effects of terrorism fears </H2>

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but DavidBrooks actually had an excellent column in yesterday's New York Times that makes several insightful and important points.Brooks documents how "childish, contemptuous and hysterical"the national reaction has been to this latest terrorist episode, egged on -- as usual -- by the always-hysterical American media. The citizenry has been trained to expect that our Powerful Daddies andMommies in government will -- in that most cringe-inducing, child-like formulation -- Keep Us Safe. Whenever theGovernment fails to do so, the reaction -- just as we saw this week -- is an ugly combination of petulant, adolescent rage and increasingly unhinged cries that More Be Done to ensure that nothing bad in the world ever happens.Demands that genuinely inept government officials be held accountable are necessary and wise, but demands that political leaders ensure that we can live in womb-like Absolute Safety are delusional and destructive. Yet this is what the citizenry screams out every time something threatening happens:please, take more of our privacy away; monitor more of our communications; ban more of us from flying; engage in rituals to create the illusion of Strength; imprison more people without charges; take more and more control and power so you can Keep Us Safe.

<DIV ="story_continue clearfix" id=story_continue_mps2024376 style="DISPLAY: none">
<UL>
<LI>Continue Reading </LI>[/list]
<DIV =story_full id=story_full_mps2024376 style="DISPLAY: block">

This is what inevitably happens to a citizenry that is fed a steady diet of fear and terror for years. It regresses into pure childhood. The 5-year-old laying awake in bed, frightened by monsters in the closet, who then crawls into his parents' bed to feel Protected and Safe, is the same as a citizenry planted in front of the television, petrified by endless imagery of scary Muslim monsters, who then collectively crawl to Government and demand that they take more power and control in order to keep them Protected and Safe. A citizenry drowning in fear and fixated on Safety to the exclusion of other competing values can only be degraded and depraved. John Adams, in his 1776 Thoughts on Government, put it this way:

<BLOCKQUOTE>

Fear is the foundation of most governments; but it is so sordid and brutal a passion, and renders men in whose breasts it predominates so stupid and miserable, that Americans will not be likely to approve of any political institution which is founded on it.</BLOCKQUOTE>

As Adams noted, political leaders possess an inherent interest in maximizing fear levels, as that is what maximizes their power.For a variety of reasons, nobody aids this process more than our establishment media, motivated by their own interests in ratcheting up fear and Terrorism melodrama as high as possible. The result is a citizenry far more terrorized by our own institutions than foreign Terrorists could ever dream of achieving on their own. For that reason, a risk that is completely dwarfed by numerous others -- the risk of death from Islamic Terrorism -- dominates our discourse, paralyzes us with fear, leads us to destroy our economic security and eradicate countless lives in more and more foreign wars, and causes us to beg and plead and demand that our political leaders invade more of our privacy, seize more of our freedom, and radically alter the system of government we were supposed to have. The one thing we don't do is ask whether we ourselves are doing anything to fuel this problem and whether we should stop doing it. As Adams said:fear"renders men in whose breasts it predominates so stupid and miserable."

What makes all of this most ironic is that the American Founding was predicated on exactly the opposite mindset. The Constitution is grounded in the premise that there are other values and priorities more important than mere Safety. Even though they knew that doing so would help murderers and other dangerous and vile criminals evade capture, the Framers banned theGovernment from searching homes without probable cause, prohibited compelled self-incrimination, double jeopardy and convictions based on hearsay, and outlawed cruel and unusual punishment. That's because certain values -- privacy, due process, limiting the potential for abuse of government power -- were more important than mere survival and safety. A central calculation of theConstitution was that we insist upon privacy, liberty and restraints on government power even when doing so means we live with less safety and a heightened risk of danger and death.And, of course, the Revolutionary War against the then-greatest empire on earth was waged by people who risked their lives and their fortunes in pursuit of liberty, precisely because there are other values that outweigh mere survival and safety.

These are the calculations that are now virtually impossible to find in our political discourse. It is fear, and only fear, that predominates. No other competing values are recognized. We have Chris Matthews running around shrieking that he's scared of kung-fu-wielding Terrorists. Michael Chertoff is demanding that we stop listening to "privacy ideologues" -- i.e., that there should be no limits on Government's power to invade and monitor and scrutinize. Republican leaders have spent the decade preaching that only Government-provided Safety, not the Constitution, matters. All in response to this week's single failed terrorist attack, there are -- as always -- hysterical calls that we start more wars, initiate racial profiling, imprison innocent people indefinitely, and torture even more indiscriminately. These are the by-products of the weakness and panic and paralyzing fear that Americans have been fed in the name of Terrorism, continuously for a full decade now.

Ever since Ibegan writing in late 2005 about this fear-addicted dynamic, the point on which Brooks focused yesterday is the oneI've thought most important. What matters most about this blinding fear of Terrorism is not the specific policies that are implemented as a result. Policies can always be changed. What matters most is the radical transformation of the national character of the United States. Reducing the citizenry to a frightened puddle of passivity, hysteria and a child-like expectation of Absolute Safety is irrevocable and far more consequential than any specific new laws. Fear is always the enabling force of authoritarianism:the desire to vest unlimited power in political authority in exchange for promises of protection. This is what I wrote about that back in early 2006 in How Would a Patriot Act?:

<BLOCKQUOTE>

Thepresident's embrace of radical theories of presidential power threatens to change the system of government we have. But worse still, his administration's relentless, never-ending attempts to keep the nation in a state of fear can also change the kind of nation we are.</BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't exactly new: many of America's most serious historical transgressions -- the internment of Japanese-Americans, McCarthyite witch hunts, World War I censorship laws, theAlien and Sedition Act -- have been the result of fear-driven, over-reaction to extrenal threats, not under-reaction. Fear is a degrading toxin, and there's no doubt that it has been the primary fuel over the last decade. As the events of the last week demonstrate, it continues to spread rapidly, and it produces exactly the kind of citizenry about which JohnAdams long ago warned.
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Passenger exposes false flag at "underwear bomber" sentencing

Very interesting account from the man, Kurt Haskell, who witnessed the entire events of the "terror" attack first hand. An excerpt:

"In closing I will just say that regardless of how the media and government try to shape the public perception of this case, I am convinced that Umar was given an intentionally defective bomb by a U.S. Government agent and placed on our flight without showing a passport or going through security, to stage a false terrorist attack to be used to implement various government policies.

The effect this matter has had on my life has been astounding and due to this case, I will never trust the government in any matter, ever."

http://www.infowars.com/breaking-ku...operation-during-underwear-bomber-sentencing/

foobar75

Master
Notice how with each of these so-called attacks, we ended up losing a bit more freedom and having to put up with new sets of rules and restrictions. 9/11 was the big one to put the wheels in motion, then came the shoe-bomber so we have to take our shoes off at the airports check points, there was another false flag which resulted in restricting the amount of liquids and other similar items that can be carried on-board, then this underwear-bomber brought us TSA body scans and the whole new, disgraceful patdown rules, and I may be leaving out a couple more.

And like sheep, the citizenry is simply following along without putting up any sort of fight or resistance. No wonder the PTB will continue with their plans because this is just too easy.