Not a Parody II

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some extracts from the lateststunningeffortof one Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle:

"Venus Williams' dramatic win at Wimbledon is the latest evidence we're living in a golden age of . . . women athletes. . . Women are hot. Superstars abound, and we will call the following list. . . Venus and Serena: Imagine if Tiger Woods had a younger brother who had all of Tiger's skills but was larger and more athletic. When Tiger had a bad week or a down year, Leopard Woods would step in to dominate golf.

"It's crazy that siblings could rule a sport as Venus and Serena have. That has never happened. It's even crazier considering the Williams' social background, a huge handicap in their country club sport. While elevating the level of women's tennis, they have managed to develop themselves into two of the most interesting, elegant and engaging athletes of any gender or sport. . .

"At most tournaments, competing against [Annika] Sorenstam is like long-jumping against Bob Beamon in the Mexico City Olympics in 1968. Annika has the distinction of being the only golfer in the world, male or female, who has the unqualified respect of Tiger Woods."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Brilliant "journalism" don't you think? The ole propaganda machine must've spun a few RPM's faster over there on the left coast.

Bart

Hall of Famer
What a surprise that a San Francisco writer would be enthralled with the Williams sisters! They probably have a LOT in common. He thinks they are elegant. I had to refresh my memory about the definition of the word. When I think of the word elegant,I conjure up images of Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn, but to each his own.

Elegant: Characterized by or exhibiting refined, tasteful beauty of manner, form, or style. See Synonyms at delicate

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
"It's crazy that siblings could rule a sport as Venus and Serena have. That has never happened.

Some rule! 6th and 8th (was 16th). Big deal! All hype, no substance.

Women's Singles Rankings
RNK PREV PLAYER COUNTRY RPTS QPTS EVENTS PTS+ NEXT
1 (1) Lindsay Davenport USA 5613 2009 17 790 0
2 (2) Maria Sharapova RUS 4452 1365 20 476 0
3 (3) Amelie Mauresmo FRA 4208 1331 19 440 0
4 (6) Svetlana Kuznetsova RUS 3248 938 20 230 0
5 (5) Elena Dementieva RUS 3211 1041 21 126 0
6 (4) Serena Williams USA 3145 1261 13 68 0
7 (7) Justine Henin-hardenne BEL 3069 1203 8 2 0
8 (16) Venus Williams USA 2806 967 16 1120 0
9 (8) Nadia Petrova RUS 2672 954 27 198 0
10 (10) Anastasia Myskina RUS 2571 858 22 320 0
11 (9) Alicia Molik AUS 2330 886 16 0

surfsider

Guru
200 meter king Shawn Crawford in latest issue of Track & Field News when asked about favorite athletes to watch: "I like to see the Williams twins kick ass."

G

surfsider said:
200 meter king Shawn Crawford in latest issue of Track & Field News when asked about favorite athletes to watch: "I like to see the Williams twins kick ass."
I dont see anything wrong with that statement other then the fact that the Williamsn Sisters are not twins. Is is any differnt from another player saying that they like to see Capriati or davenport kick ass ?.

G

Don Wassall said:
Some extracts from the lateststunningeffortof one Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle:

"Venus Williams' dramatic win at Wimbledon is the latest evidence we're living in a golden age of . . . women athletes. . . Women are hot. Superstars abound, and we will call the following list. . . Venus and Serena: Imagine if Tiger Woods had a younger brother who had all of Tiger's skills but was larger and more athletic. When Tiger had a bad week or a down year, Leopard Woods would step in to dominate golf.

"It's crazy that siblings could rule a sport as Venus and Serena have. That has never happened. It's even crazier considering the Williams' social background, a huge handicap in their country club sport. While elevating the level of women's tennis, they have managed to develop themselves into two of the most interesting, elegant and engaging athletes of any gender or sport. . .

"At most tournaments, competing against [Annika] Sorenstam is like long-jumping against Bob Beamon in the Mexico City Olympics in 1968. Annika has the distinction of being the only golfer in the world, male or female, who has the unqualified respect of Tiger Woods."
I have to admit that was pretty crappy Journalism.

surfsider

Guru
I just thought it was mildly amusing that he referred to the Williams sisters as twins. Don't be so sensitive. If there are any two sisters that I would not mistake for twins it is them.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Williams Twins
smiley25.gif

Boy Howdy!

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Oh Man!

That is some stomach hurting funny stuff!

JD074

Master
I dont see anything wrong with that statement other then the fact that the Williamsn Sisters are not twins. Is is any differnt from another player saying that they like to see Capriati or davenport kick ass ?.

It's different because most white fans who root for white athletes don't root for them because they're white. White fans love black athletes, and often even prefer them. How many black fans prefer white athletes?

Also, there's nothing wrong with him rooting for black athletes per se. We all should feel free to root for whichever athletes we want, regardless of the motivation. But there is a double standard. He clearly roots for the Williams sisters because they're black, not just because they're good players (I hope you're not going to debate that point.) But when a rare white sports fan roots for white athletes because they're white, he's an evil racist.

I say, let Carl Crawford root for blacks, and we'll root for whites. No problem.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well said JD.

You know, this guy must have some serious problems if he think the Williams sisters are twins. What a maroon!
smiley36.gif
I mean, anyone with eyes can see that Serena is twice the man Venus is!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I mean, anyone with eyes can see that Serena is twice the man Venus is!

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Good one, Reb!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
White Shogun; I was just waiting for a chance to use that one!