No More Chores On The Family Farm, Almost

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm glad enough people were aware of this for the Department of Labor to change their minds.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/labor-d...ule-after-daily-caller-report-goes-viral.html

Under pressure from farming advocates in rural communities, and following a report by The Daily Caller, the Obama administration withdrew a proposed rule Thursday that would have applied child labor laws to family farms.
Critics complained that the regulation would have drastically changed the extent to which children could work on farms owned by family members. The U.S. Department of Labor cited public outcry as the reason for withdrawing the rule.
“The decision to withdraw this rule — including provisions to define the ‘parental exemption’ — was made in response to thousands of comments expressing concerns about the effect of the proposed rules on small family-owned farms,” the Department said in a press release Thursday evening. “To be clear, this regulation will not be pursued for the duration of the Obama administration.”
The rule would have dramatically changed what types of chores children under the age of 16 could perform on and around American farms. It would have prohibited them from working with tobacco, operating almost all types of power-driven equipment and being employed to work with raw farm materials.
“Prohibited places of employment would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions,” read a press release from last August.

Just another attempt to squeeze the small farmer out of business so we can all be forced to eat Monsanto GMO garbage.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Just another attempt to squeeze the small farmer out of business so we can all be forced to eat Monsanto GMO garbage.

bearclaw, I'm sure that is at least part of the reason why they are doing this. The huge seed companies like Monsanto are exerting an unreal amount of influence over farmers and the crops they grow. Genetically engineered seed and genetically modified food should be much bigger issues than they currently are, imho. Maybe more folks will become aware of it. If you haven't seen it, Food Inc. is a good film that exposes some of the dangers of having the federal government propping up these companies and supporting the shift toward total control of the food supply.

Tom Iron

Mentor
When I was a boy, I got a job on a farm one summer. It proved to be a turning point of my life. I knew then that whatever I was going to do in life, it would be outdoors. I was in my element outdoors. I loved going out each morning after the cows to bring them in and getting wet up to my thighs in the high grass from the morning dew. The haying all day in the fields was fine too. We loaded up the hay bales on the wagons by hand. I wonder if they still do that? Me and the other young guy were racing back to our farm with two loads of hay one day from a distant field and I took a curve to fast and dumped my load and we had to stop and restack my load to get back. It took us over an hour and the farmer wasn't happy with us. So we couldn't unload and had to start the evening milking right away and then put the hay up in the loft, and then eat. Of course, the farmers wife wasn't too happy with us either in that she had to hold supper for us until we were finished all our work. Young guys do things like that. If this had gone through, young men and women would never be able to lift a finger. It would've been really bad for our young people.

I'm sure all your comments are correct as well, but it really hits home with me.

Tom Iron...

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
When I was a boy, I got a job on a farm one summer. It proved to be a turning point of my life. I knew then that whatever I was going to do in life, it would be outdoors. I was in my element outdoors. I loved going out each morning after the cows to bring them in and getting wet up to my thighs in the high grass from the morning dew. The haying all day in the fields was fine too. We loaded up the hay bales on the wagons by hand. I wonder if they still do that? Me and the other young guy were racing back to our farm with two loads of hay one day from a distant field and I took a curve to fast and dumped my load and we had to stop and restack my load to get back. It took us over an hour and the farmer wasn't happy with us. So we couldn't unload and had to start the evening milking right away and then put the hay up in the loft, and then eat. Of course, the farmers wife wasn't too happy with us either in that she had to hold supper for us until we were finished all our work. Young guys do things like that. If this had gone through, young men and women would never be able to lift a finger. It would've been really bad for our young people.

I'm sure all your comments are correct as well, but it really hits home with me.

Tom Iron...

Yes, Tom, many still do. I can’t fathom how many hundreds of thousands of bales I’ve handled in my life. Since my dad has another career and only farms his land as supplemental income (that is, selling hay and straw), we never had much modern equipment. A “bale-thrower,” which essentially fires a bale like a cannonball into an adjoining wagon after tying a knot in the twine, can be very expensive. They also require a taller wagon to accept the projectile…

Lely_Welger_AP_P23_430x300_px.jpg

When harvesting Alfalfa, Timothy, and Straw, my dad always uses his rickety, yet reliable, 1950 New Holland baler. It would drop thousands of bales in the fields, and I’d spend days loading them into a wagon afterwards, then stack them into piles in our barn/loft. Another method is to stand on the edge of an open-front wagon affixed to the back of the baler (creating a 3-part “train” consisting of tractor, then baler, then hay wagon) and grab each bale from the baler chute for stacking. Since graduating from college, I’ve since moved to a different county, but I’ve never missed a harvest. Fortunately, my dad recently bought a hay elevator for the barn, which makes the “putting away” process much easier than in my childhood (where ropes/pulleys would be used). I always used to dread those days when I was younger, because I knew it would require days of sweltering heat, dehydration, bloody hands, and a very sore back. Now, I look forward to working with my dad the way I once did on a daily basis.

This “Child Labor Law” was never about the personal safety of child workers; it’s about the betterment of corporate farming, the hiring of more Mex-crement workers (with the hope that they’ll linger and help to poison rural areas), and further eliminating the need for white farmers to sire large families of tough, self-sufficient, hard-working white children.

It makes perfect sense that the fatherless bastard, the gaunt, pencil-necked, baboon-faced, elephant-eared, grey-skinned, weakling Kenyan mongrel, Barack Obama (alias Barry Soetoro, Barry Dunham, etc) and his effeminate administration would hope to limit such work amongst the children of white farmers. I wonder how much real, physical work our girlie little “president” has done in his life? You know, aside from his daily chores of raising cigarettes to his gargantuan purple lips, or adjusting his Teleprompter-Thought-Screen to avoid stammering like a fool during one of his lame speeches, or counting his millions of unearned shekels, or watching “Seal Team Six” murder an Arab “terrorist” (the official name for any Jewish enemy) who was already dead, or pushing the red button to bomb Libya, etc. Yes, like every other U.S. “president” over the past 100+ years, BarryBastard is quite the “man.”
obama_glasses.jpg
Steve-Urkel-333-family-matters-6878748-267-399.jpg

CAPTION: Nerdy Negroes

Last edited:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Good points Thrashen. That totally smacks of nanny state expansion (on the surface) & corporate enablement (at the core). :angry:

BTW, farming, coal mining, and construction are manly professions indeed. My (maternal) Grandad grew up farming tobacco in Tennessee. I work in a "white" collar (tech) profession, but I think I'd honestly enjoy working in an agrarian capacity...if family farms weren't in the cross hairs of the big corporate outfits (enabled by their fedgov lackeys). :icon_confused:

Tom Iron

Mentor
Thrashen,

Yes, I never did like working in the loft much either. Extremely hot work, but had to be done.

Tom Iron...