Nike Cleats-Roethlisberger Commercial

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I've seen this commercial for Nike cleats from Dick's Sporting Goods on ESPN 360 about 20 times and it shows a few overly loud and aggressive defensive players coming after Ben and the white kid he's talking to. The defensive players are made to look like buffoons and never get to either one of them. Instead they grasp air or fall into a wall of shoe boxes. It looks like half the defenders (shows one at a time) are white and half are black. Just wondered what anyone else thought about the commercial.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I saw this commercial as well. It is one of the few that makes the black players look like idiots and the white player look good.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I like Rothlesberger. I think he's going to be a very popular player if he stays healty. He should be able to replace Favre as the face of the NFL, (see the article I linked to). He 's got lots of charisma and is obviously an alpha male. Unlike Brady who is a pretty boy and media shy, or Manning who is a country boy kind of goofy straight married dude (who I like very much by the way), Big Ben is the kind of guy you would want to be, which is the point of player identification.

Even Rothlesbergers negatives are really positives. Motorcycly accident, cool the guy is a biker, no safe off season hobbies for him he's got the dough so he should buy the cool toys, that's the whole attraction of being young, famous and rich.

Rape accusation? Why not? he's a stud, of course he's going to be scoring the babes and you know eventually one of them is going to try and hit him up for bucks (and in this case it looks completely phony).

He's a clutch performer who exudes a masculine personna and delivers the wins.

The commercial noted above is a good example of positive image enhancement. Nice job by him and/or his agent.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've not seen the ad, but if it makes a White athlete look good...it's a plus. I've got a good buddy who looks just like Big Ben, but not quite as tall (about 6'1, 260).

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
I like Rothlesberger. I think he's going to be a very popular player if he stays healty. He should be able to replace Favre as the face of the NFL, (see the article I linked to). He 's got lots of charisma and is obviously an alpha male.

Jaxvid, I was listening to a pregame show coming out of Chicago and heard a description of Ben that made me wince. So typical. I could have posted this in the thread about goofy announcers just as well.

In analyzing the Steelers game, this comment was made about Ben. "He's one of those big, slow, (emphasis on the word slow drawn out) Sasquatch type guys, who is nimble in the pocket."
smiley7.gif

Yeah I have seen this commercial. It's one of the few dicks commericials that actually is not racially biased. The funny thing about the guys running around causing the fires, is that they were doing their drills very slow and gingerly! Lol.

Here's the Big Ben add you are talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MynruXV4yXU

Alpha Male

Mentor
Ben is not slow; he has great agility. There is more to athleticism than straight line speed. Imagine if the annoucner had compared one of the black players to a monkey a la Allen Iverson years back. The double standard in sports announcement, as well as all speheres of American culture, continues. Although, as some posters have pointed out, not all announcers adhere to caste dogma as some are praising white athltlete for being speedy, for example.