NFL Week 5 2008

backrow

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
On Sunday night game, commentators had some nice things to say about Matt Jones, something about turning around his career, and becoming Gerards go to guy. I also liked their telling a nationwide audience that Marcedes Lewis, the Jaguars starting tight end, had dropped about as many passes as he's caught this year. Hmmm, wonder if Jags could find a better tight end then that, like maybe John Madsen before Raiders resigned him today.

c'mon now! Lewis is only in his third year, so he has another 4 years for his development... as oppose to white TEs who get perma-benched if they don't perform straight away, if they even get a chance

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I know it's still early in the season but Jason Witten leads the league in receptions with 35. He continues to impress and has established himself as the best tight end in the league by far. The media will have you think Antonio Gates is better. So much for his Sports Illustrated prospect profile which stated he is "not fast."

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Gus Frerotte throws a beautiful spiral. This Viking win ought to keep Tarvaris on the bench.

Saints' Brian Young played brilliantly, and this shocked a couple members of the Monday Night crew.

Brian Young has put together a better career compared to incredibly overrated and overhyped DT's like Darwin Walker, etc etc.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Let's play a game: What white safety is going to be out of a job next week because of a pass intereference penalty that "cost his team the game?"

Go on. Guess.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Madden and Michaels also had some nice things to say about Big Ben's toughness, ripping those who call him a "drama queen." Drama queen??? Ben's about as tough as they come. Black QBs who play hurt achieve legendary status; Ben's called by some a "drama queen."

I'd like to see how long any black QB would last playing behind the Steelers' lousy sumo o-line.

I'm starting to worry that these horrible sumos are either gonna cost Big Ben his health or his status as an elite QB. Watching that game, Ben was under constant pressure that was clearly the result of poor offensive line play. Letting Alan Faneca walk away will hopefully cost this caste squad a playoff spot this year.

As a comparison, the other game I watched a great deal of was the Giants and Seahawks matchup. The Giants white line gave Eli all day to make plays and he carved up Seattle. The one blemish being Kerney's sack against the lone black, reserve Kevin Boothe.
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I know it's still early in the season but Jason Witten leads the league in receptions with 35. He continues to impress and has established himself as the best tight end in the league by far. The media will have you think Antonio Gates is better. So much for his Sports Illustrated prospect profile which stated he is "not fast."

It's pretty much accepted conventional wisdom around the league now and in the sports media that Witten is the best TE in the NFL. He is seen as the best combination of speed, strength, hands, route running, toughness and blocking. It also doesn't hurt that he is playing on the most high profile team in the league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Deadlift said:
Saints' Brian Young played brilliantly, and this shocked a couple members of the Monday Night crew.

Brian Young has put together a better career compared to incredibly overrated and overhyped DT's like Darwin Walker, etc etc.

I noticed that too. Young produces tackles at almost a Kelly Gregg-likepace and always gets goodpressure on the passer. He should never have lost his starting job.Edited by: Don Wassall