NFL Week 1 2008

forty-four

Guru
How about that Joe Flacco yesterday? I just caught a clip of his TD run. I'm happy for him starting strong. Troy Smith can now get comfortable on the bench.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
foobar75 said:
Is it my imagination, or doesit seem like there's a slight uptick in the # of white players this season? Just an unofficial assessment based on the games I watched today, as well as all the highlights.

Could it be that ratio is closer to 35-65 as opposed to the 30-70 it's been for a few years? Boy, I'd love to see that number get closer to 40-60.Of course, in an ideal world, it'd be at least 70-30, but since we'll never get awhite majority in the NFL, I'lltake any gains we can get.

I agree in that what happened Sunday was that three of thetop four teams in the dominant conference lost (Indy, San Diego, Jax), and New England lost Brady for the season. Dallas looks strong but the rest of the NFC is a free for all as is the whole season right off the bat. Who will step up, individually and as a team? This looks to be an even crazier season than the usual crazy NFL product. Maybe I'm crazy too, but I think awareness of the Caste System is more widespread than before and is playing a factor in what will take place.Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As far as I know, the NFL has been getting blacker and blacker pretty much every year up to this last year. According to the Lapchick article posted here a week or so ago, there were 67% blacks in the league in 2006, while whites were 31%. In 2007, blacks decreased to 66%, while whites stayed at 31%, the difference being made up by an increase in latino, andpolynesian/asian players.

G

If Jacob Hester and Brian Leonard are not allowed even a single carry, but random black players on a dozen teams are, it is safe to say that white men are not allowed to carry the ball in the Negro Football League.

I would call it official at this point.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, Leonard was out with a shoulder injury. Hester's situation baffles me, since even black rookie FB Tolbert got 3 carries and 3 passes thrown his way. on the plus side, Sproles only got 2 carries and got something like 3 yards. i am positive we'll see more of Jacob in coming weeks.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
As far as I know, the NFL has been getting blacker and blacker pretty much every year up to this last year. According to the Lapchick article posted here a week or so ago, there were 67% blacks in the league in 2006, while whites were 31%. In 2007, blacks decreased to 66%, while whites stayed at 31%, the difference being made up by an increase in latino, and polynesian/asian players.
I think the NFL has hit a sticking point. There aren't enough marginal black players to increase the ratio. No matter what Negroidphiles like Jerry Jones or Al Davis do they can't change that. The wide receiver situation reflects that and the black qb experiment reflects that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's really been kind of stuck for a long time at roughly the 69-31 ratio, which is skewed by the counting of white kickers and long snappers. It's really more like 75-25. There's a noticeable increase in black o-linemen, but that's offset by more white tight ends and a few more white linebackers. They've worked feverishly to make quarterback 70 or so percent black but that has been a colossal failure, though the number of black backups continues to increase.

What's been done over the past decade is to make assistant coaches and broadcasters and reporters majority black or close to it. When the affirmative action spreads away from the playing field like that, it makes it that much tougher to change the Caste System among the players on the field. Society has so much invested in making blacks look good in sports (and in demoting whites in sports and everything else) that fairness will only come when enough white athletes, parents and fans demand it.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I have noticed more black offensive lineman this year. I believe there are more starting black lineman this year though I could be wrong. An interesting thing you can do on NFL.com is check past season leaders. I went back to the 70's 80's and found plenty of good receivers such as Largent and Maynard among the league leaders in receiving yards. There were also good backs like Csonka. Man things have changed in 30 years.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Aaron Kampman opened with a sack let's see how him and Jared Allen do tonight.

will we see Jordy on offense? so far he is returning kick offs.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Rodgers brought a Favre like throw at the goaline throwing a td pass to Korey Hall!!!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Tarvaris Jackson has a whopping 6 yards passing!! WOW!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
celticdb15 said:

smiley36.gif
They obviously want to keep the attention on Rodgers when Jackson is easily the bigger question mark. Kornheiser is absolutely obsessed with the Favre/Rodgers stuff. The MNF broadcastswould be so much better with just Jaws as the analyst but I guess there always has to be someone to play the cosmopolitan buffoon role pioneered by Howard Cosell.

Bear Backer

Mentor
celticdb15 said:

Oh he has 16 now
smiley2.gif
What a casterrific start to the 2008 season so far. 2 out of 7 in the first half for 16 yds with 2 carries for 8yds.

Thats a wopping 39.58 rating for anyone into stats.Edited by: Bear Backer

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
My God someone actually did it! Someone played the position of quarterback worse than Vick Young. Who do the Vickings have behind Tarvaris? The equipment manager could do a better job than him. Hell, even the half drunk dude on the Coors light commercials that asks old coaches questions could do better.

Bear Backer

Mentor
WHITE NOISE said:
My God someone actually did it! Someone played the position of quarterback worse than Vick Young. Who do the Vickings have behind Tarvaris? The equipment manager could do a better job than him. Hell, even the half drunk dude on the Coors light commercials that asks old coaches questions could do better.

Kind of amazing huh? Considering how much praise the NFL and the media likes to heap on Adrian Peterson. Just think of the potential if they actually had a QB instead of palying this caste system black quarterback charade. And to think, all the crap that was heaped on Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning about being the weak links in their offenses a couple of years ago. They were NEVER even close to being a quarter as bad as most of the black so-called "QB's" in the NFL, yet just about all the talking heads absolutely with no pretenses, wanted them both to fail miserably and be benched. Edited by: Bear Backer

white is right

Hall of Famer
The greatest line from Jaws was " Jackson throws a beautiful ball when he has no pressure". Hahahaha...
smiley36.gif
I think the scout team qb in high school does too.......
smiley36.gif

PhillyBirds

Mentor
What the hell? Brandon Stokely isn't starting in Denver. He does have a catch though, but the fact he is the #3 is sickening. Also, Peyton Hillis looks too big. The weight he put on doesn't match his frame at all. Not much to like here so far...

I wish I could root for Justin Fargas, but I just can't.Edited by: PhillyBirds

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well Tarvaris actually filled out his stats a little. His completion percentage was still horrible ( i think below 40%) and he had one td and one int. He also finished with 56 rushing yards. Rodgers on the other hand was 18\22 with to178 passing. He also had8 rushes for 35 yards and a td on the ground.I know his completion rating is the second highest for a qb first Nfl start.

Bart

Hall of Famer
The Yahoo Sportsheadlineafter the Packers-Vikings game was interesting.

Yahoo:Aaron Rodgers wasn't spectacular in his first start but he was sharp enough to lead the Pack to a 24-19 win over the Vikings.

Sharp enough? They make it sound as though he barely got by.Truth is, in spite of a very sloppy, penalty filled performance by his team, he was a shining success.

Consider his stats. His passing Pct. was a lofty 81.8, which the announcers said was second or third best in NFL history forfirst startrookieQB's. He was 18-22, for178 Yds in the air, with1TD pass,0 INT's and a TD on the ground.Withall the pressure he was under, that was a hell of a gamehe played. Oh, and his QB rating was 115.5. Tavaris, by the way was at 59.

Edit: Celtic beat me to the punch.Edited by: Bart

bigunreal

Mentor
Rodgers also threw an absolutely beautiful long TD pass to Donald Driver, that was called back on one of the many, many penalties against the Packers. If you add that in to his stats, this was perhaps the greatest debut by any QB in recent times.

Jackson is horrible. He has all the time in the world to throw the ball, and one of the best weapons at RB in the league. If he was white, the jock sniffers would be lobbying nonstop to have him replaced with a "real" quarterback, because he'd be considered the only thing holding the team back from a Super Bowl.

Bear Backer

Mentor
I am sure Rogers will have to go under the customary 3 year microscope for young white QB's. Everything he does will be nitpicked and contempleted until he either cracks under the pressure or steps up silences all critics. It is just the opposite for young black QB's like Jackson, Vince Young or DuhMarcus Russell. They get at least a 3 or so year grace period while they are "Raw" where the talking heads coo over them about their "upside." If the caste was fair in the way it treated QB's, Jackson would be being roasted by every jock talk annalyst on television and the radio. They would be chattering for hours how he has been a starter for 16 games in the NFL now and they would be saying its time for him to step up or step back. There would already be a signifigant contingent that would be saying he will never be a good QB in the NFL. Of course he is black so at the very least even if he is criticized they will say "It remains to be seen how he will develop."

The only upside to this kind of treatment of white QB's that I can see, is that they are forging alot of hardened Young white QB's who if they survive the caste, come out all the better for it. When they succeed despite all the adversity, they are making the pampered and mediocre at best black QB's look even more foolish.Edited by: Bear Backer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
It's just really too funny.. the way they continue to push and harp on these guys - Russell, Jackson, Young - and expect people to disbelieve what they see with their own eyes. They persist and persist in pushing the storyline. But the Emperor has no clothes, and I think more and more people are starting to see that. It's just going to make it worse for the talking heads, the more they push these guys the worse they play the more they push.. and people can see how their words do not match what they see on the field with their own eyes.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The Oakland secondary is absolutely getting torched, I guess it was all Stuart Schweigert's fault right?
smiley36.gif

Michael Huff= worse than Stuart Schweigert, but the drunken fans are too stupid to realize it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
The Oakland secondary is absolutely getting torched, I guess it was all Stuart Schweigert's fault right?
smiley36.gif

Michael Huff= worse than Stuart Schweigert, but the drunken fans are too stupid to realize it.

smiley36.gif
But the sad part is the drunk white fans won't blame anyone in the secondary. They can't jump on Jamarcus for several years yet. The drunk white Raiders fans are going to havesublimate their anger for a while, quite a challenge indeed.