NFL RBs less durable says ESPN writer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Christopher Harris of ESPN hits on a fact that we at CF have discussed for some time. NFL RBs are becoming less durable by the year. So much for black superiority! Below is the meat of the article, which is mainly about fantasy football. Interesting where you have to look for truth at times.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k9rbpreview

How many true No. 1 rushers are left in the NFL? Go ahead and count. I'll wait.

When
I wrote this positional preview in advance of the 2008 season, I
mentioned that 300-carry backs were on the decline. I commented that
2007 saw just six 300-carry backs, the fewest since 1999. Well, guess
what happened in '08? Only five rushers eclipsed 300 carries, the
fewest since 1993
: Michael Turner, Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Matt Forte and Ryan Grant.
Just as interesting is the fact that just one of these plow horses
(Portis) accomplished the feat in '07 as well. So not only are fewer
backs averaging more than 18 carries per game (300 carries over a
16-game season averages out to 18.75), but these days even fewer keep
up such a hellacious workload from season to season.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
They are also becoming more obese. I mentioned this before on this site and Don posted an article about over 50 percent of NFL players being obese.What progress the future has brought when we have obese athletes.

Taco

Guru
Is this such a bad thing though? If teams are using rotations of running backs, doesn't that make the odds of a white running back getting carries even better?

StarWars

Mentor
Ya, from zero percent to zero percent. Even if they do get carries they will be called fullbacks. 0 out of 36 doesn't translate to some whites when the 36 goes up. For white runningbacks, they need not apply.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Well it increases the chance of Whites getting a chance to carry the ball as emergency backs, although its not permanent, each time it happens more people get the chance to see that Whites are actually good at runningback. Peyton Hillis got a chance to carry the ball after injuries to multiple runningbacks last year, but now it looks like hes back to fullback with the drafting of Moreno, but alot of fans woke up and now think he is good enough to be the main feature back. Hopefully he can see some carries and not have his talent wasted.

Im hoping for Hester to get some carries next year, LT is getting old and Sproles can not be an every down back.Edited by: dwid

backrow

Hall of Famer
if they don't use Hillis up to his potential hopefully they can trade him away to a team that will!

Taco

Guru
There are some white RB's with a legit chance to get consistent carries. Peyton Hillis in combination with Moreno, McDaniels has seen what he can do, and he's survived a gauntlet of running backs that were signed and cut by Denver. Obviously Brian Leonard has a perfect shot at getting carries now, Cedric Benson wouldnt be a starting running back anywhere else but Cincinati

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I'm hoping Benson sucks like he always does, so Leonard will get some more carries this season. Who knows how well he'll do, with Cincy
s sumo dominated line, Leonard, along with Palmer, will be endangered back there.