NFL OLB Prospect Tim Shaw

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I found an interveiw with Tim Shaw about how he was forced to switch from HB to OLB despite being Michigan's alltime leading rusher in H.S. Paterno apparantly favoured Tony Hunt and his 4.68 speed. Shaw ran a 4.44 and won the entire state of Michigan's 100 meter for his state grouping in highschool but was made to beef up. His 40 time and vert was less at the combine than in H.S. This is probably due to beefing up to play LB. He ran a 4.51 at the combine.

Attended Clarenceville (Livonia, Mich.) High School, playing football for head coach Greg Hudkins...Lettered in football, basketball and track during his career, earning 11 varsity letters...Named the 2001 Michigan
Gatorade Player of the Year, adding Associated Press All-State first-team honors...Was also chosen to the Detroit Free Press' All-West Michigan squad as a senior...Was a standout running back and linebacker, leading the team to a 47-6 record during his career, including a 12-1 mark as a junior and a 13-1 record his final campaign...Exploded for 43 touchdowns and over 2,000 yards rushing as a senior, as he also amassed 95 tackles with four interceptions and 10 quarterback sacks... In track, Shaw won the state title in the 100-meter dash during his senior year...Graduated with a 3.8 grade point average.

Tim Shaw, LB
Penn State
6-1 3/8, 236
Will work out at the combine

Agent - Scott Smith

Q - Does it bother you that in Michigan in high school you were the state's all time leading
rusher and scorer and here you are a linebacker.

It doesn't bother me at all (but) it does bother me that I didn't score a single touchdown in
college, you know, defensively or whatever. That bugs me. The journey has been fun. I've
learned so much and this is definitely where I belong on defensive side.

Q - During your college career you were switched quite a few times from running back to
linebacker and in your senior year, to defensive end. What do you think of that.

The switch from running back to linebacker was tough because I thought I was a running back,
you know the best guy at that spot. That was just something that I needed to deal with and
grow up on, so I did that. Then going from linebacker to defensive end was tough in that I
had to put my personal goals aside, things I had set for my senior year, for the better of
the team. ... So that was tough, I was learning the whole year. If I had stayed at linebacker,
I knew everything, I was very comfortable and I would have been just able to play and not think so much.

Q - That you made that sacrifice should play well with the NFL people.

Well, I hope so. That's what I'm hoping that they see, the sacrifice I made. ... (but) the
big thing I want them to see is that I haven't played my best football yet because of
the circumstances, switching positions and things like that.

Q - Why didn't you stay at running back.

Someone made a decision. I could have played running back for sure. I was doing
well but they brought in three high big time recruits at running back.

Aside -- Those three running back recruits included Tony Hunt

Q - Folks at home surprised you didn't remain a RB.

They wish I could have kept scoring touchdowns, but that's all right.

The exceptionally prepared Rick G. points out that Shaw was the state 100-meter
dash champ back in Michigan, in the third of four school size divsions as it turns out.

Q - How did playing with the always good Penn State defense prepare you for the NFL.

I really learned at Penn State how to play defense and what kind of attitude you need and
Tom Bradley definitely instilled that attitude in us. And being surrounded with great defensive
players my whole career ... showed me what kind of players it takes. And I think that I've excelled at that level.

Q - About playing at Linebacker U., is that a media creation or is it something you guys
take seriously to uphold a tradition.

It's a tradition we want to carry on. ...We want to uphold that tradition, it is a great tradition.
It's something we're proud of and I'm proud any time someone says you made LBU proud.
That makes me feel good about how I've been working and the things I've been trying to achieve.

Q - Asked about what teams he has talked to.

Shaw said he talked to about 10 LB coaches but didn't specify any teams.

Q - With your preparation coming into the combine, are you confident.

Very confident. Just all the training we did, I was down at Tom Shaw's and I feel just
ready, excited and my body feels good. So I'm just looking forward to Monday when
we get to run. Mentally, I'm confident with each drill. I know the time I can run.
I know the stuff I need to do.

Q - What do you expect to run.

If I don't run faster than 4.5, I'll be disappointed.

Q - Previous best.

4.4 flat.

Q - Because of your speed, contributing on special teams will be important in making a team.
Does that come up a lot.

Yeah, it comes up a lot and I think it's very important. At Penn State, I've had tons and
tons of special teams experience, even in my senior year I was playing on punt and punt
returns. I have that experience and I think they see I'm the kind of guy who's willing
to whatever to be on the field.

Q - Do you think your 40 time was what you most improved on coming into the combine.

No, I think I (got) just a little bit better at that. I've always been a speed guy, I ran track
in high school. That was something I improved a little bit on. The thing I improved on most
was footwork and doing linebacker drills, dropping and changing direction.

Q - How would describe Paterno.

He was a fiery, crazy old guy but he loves the game, still passionate. People just look
at him as this legend, this icon. So to be with him on a daily basis, you tend to take all
that for granted but he has that legend, he has that status at Penn State and even throughout
the country. So playing for him really was something special. You would have thought he
would be done by now but he's still ticking.

Q - Do you prefer inside or outside linebacker

Shaw said he was comfortable with both.

Q - Asked about playing for Detroit since he's a Michigan guy.

Everybody from my hometown doesn't want me to play for the Lions because they don't
want me to go through that. But I wouldn't mind playing for them. I don't like to pick.

***Shaw is ranked as the 6th best prospect at OLB in this draft by NFLdraftscout.com...It leads me to wonder though if he could have been another Brian Leonard. And speaking of Rutgers I'm wondering if RB Joe Martinek will suffer the same fate as Shaw did at Penn State. Rutgers is a top 25 team now and has to find RB's with "Hip wiggle" which apparently doesn't count NJs alltime leading rusher with 4.4 speed and dazling moves because he is meloninly challenged.
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

bigunreal

Mentor
Just listen to this interview- you wouldn't have to know his name, or anything about him, to predict with 100% certainty that he is a white player. NO black would ever be content to be switched from the marquee tailback position, especially when they ran a 4.4 and had earned state high school player of the year honors. Also, when was the last time any black player made any "sacrifice" for any team? It's always the white guys who are asked (and agree every time) to do something for "the team" at the loss of personal accomplishment. I ask you- when was the last time a physical specimen like this, a linebacker from a top university who ran a 4.4., was rated only the 6th best outside linebacker in the draft? We all know that, if he was black, he'd be a top 10 pick.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was looking for another interveiw (couldn't find it) I had read in the past also with Dustin Fox right after he was drafted by the Vikings. A question was asked: Why do you think the Vikings have said they are only considering you as a safety and not a cornerback

Dustin responded something like this: I don't know maybe because I'm white, haha, just kidding. No, it's probably because there is a greater need there.

Translation: The white players, including Dustin who is too wimpy to say it straight out, know there is a castesystem in the NFL but are too afraid to cause a stir. It makes sense when it would mean being blackballed out of the league by the establishment. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Mike

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Translation: The white players, including Dustin who is too wimpy to say it straight out, know there is a castesystem in the NFL but are too afraid to cause a stir. It makes sense when it would mean being blackballed out of the league by the establishment.

ie. John Rocker.

White Mike

Guru
Here are some clips from Dustin Fox interview:
Q: Considering your size and speed, why do you think a lot of people are projecting you as a safety?
A: I don't know. It's honestly hard to say. It could be the things that you are thinking about in your head right now that you don't want to say. Who knows? We'll find out when it happens here.

Q: Does that bother you, the obvious comparisons to Jason Sehorn?
A: No, not at all. I love Sehorn. He's like one of my heroes. He had a great career. I think he took a lot of heat, but I thought he was a great athlete. The things that he did for the Giants and the Rams, he played safety, played corner, and he played corner at a high level I thought for a good while there. No, the comparisons to someone like that is a compliment to me.

Q: What are your thoughts on being one of the few white cornerbacks out there? What was that like for you?
A: It was great. At first it was tough because you get the stereotypes and you can get it from other guys on other teams, just talking trash and stuff. At some point, eventually it becomes fun. You look forward to the challenge and the opportunity to step up and really stand out because people don't think I have the athletic ability that I do have, the speed and the vertical and all of that stuff that I have. It's fun, just so surprise people.

Q: So you think you can play corner in the NFL?
A: I think so. I played against the #3 pick in the draft. I played against guys who have been drafted high in the NFL. Playing corner in the Big 10 for three years definitely prepares you for the NFL. We'll see. I know it's a different league and the competition is even that much more intense and higher. We'll see. If I can't, then that's fine, I'll play safety. Whatever it takes to put food on the table.

White Mike

Guru
Another Dustin Fox interview:
LPC: While you do have experience playing Safety, you are an accomplished NCAA cornerback, and now you are being mentioned as moving to Safety in the NFL. Do you have any indication of why this move is being mentioned?

DF: I don't know, because I'm white? I'm just kidding! You know, I think it's just that people thought that's who I was. For four years at Ohio State, I would always hear, "Let's move Fox to safety!" That's fine with me though, I don't mind where I play, I just like to play football.

LPC: While it is a touch of a touchy subject, do you feel it could have anything to do with race?

DF: I wouldn't say yes, but, the only reason it's weird is because people in the NFL joke around with me about it. The joke is that I'm the white corner!

ToughJ.Riggins I'ld say people in NFL definitly are aware of the caste system.
smiley11.gif

whiteCB

Master
WOW what a pussy Dustin Fox is!! Just come out with it Fox you're a white and that's why people see you as a safety. Tim Shaw is just another pussy as well. He should be even more ashamed because at least Fox got to play the forbidden position in college while Shaw got changed immediately.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Our modern culture has helped breed many spineless white men. It will take a lot to overcome that, but I think it can happen. You'd think that the whole "backed into a corner" scenario would happen soon, and that the people in the corner would start to fight back.

white tornado

Mentor
What if Dustin Fox came out and said the truth do you realy think it would help him or would it even hurt him more. I think he should have come out with it even if it would have hurt him. Sometimes we are going to have to take one for the team so to speak.

Until you walk a mile in his shoes I think you should go a little softer dustin.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I think Fox has a chance, the Eagles are probably losing Roderick Hood and Quentin Mikell and already lost Michael Lewis. I think he can make some noise in training camp..

whiteCB

Master
white tornado said:
What if Dustin Fox came out and said the truth do you realy think it would help him or would it even hurt him more. I think he should have come out with it even if it would have hurt him. Sometimes we are going to have to take one for the team so to speak.

Until you walk a mile in his shoes I think you should go a little softer dustin.

Go a little softer on Dustin? Are you sh^ttin me? I've been in his shoes. I've been a white DB at various football camps having to overcome the stigma that blacks are better. I never took any of that b.s. and Fox shouldn't either. He's acting like a big white pussy!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Mike, excellent find on those Dustin Fox interveiws. The latter one was the exact one I was refering to but couldn't find...so thanks for the help.

white tornado

Mentor
Go a little softer on Dustin? Are you sh^ttin me? I've been in his shoes. I've been a white DB at various football camps having to overcome the stigma that blacks are better. I never took any of that b.s. and Fox shouldn't either. He's acting like a big white pussy!

I've been in the same shoes to. Im not saying to not critisize him. Im saying calling him a pussy when you don't know all the details is a bit harsh.

White Mike

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
White Mike, excellent find on those Dustin Fox interveiws. The latter one was the exact one I was refering to but couldn't find...so thanks for the help.

No prob man.