NFL Network Top 10 Draft Busts

This program has been discussed before but they are running it again this time of year.

1. Ryan Leaf
2. Tony Mandarich
3. Brian Bosworth
4. Rick Mirer
5. Tim Couch
6. Aundray Bruce
7. Art Schlichter
8. Lawrence Phillips
9. Heath Shuler
10. Houston Run-Shoot Quarterbacks, Ware and Klingler

Since two players shared No. 10, 8 of 11 are white.

The show acknowledged that Bosworth played well most of the time and had to retire because of injuries. Bosworth is remembered as a bust mainly for one play, when Bo Jackson ran over him. They did show film clips of Bosworth taking down Marcus Allen and Roger Craig one on one.

The show also said that Mandarich did play well when he came back with the Colts.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I believe that show is 2 yrs old. If made it now Jadufus Russell should be 1 number one.bust all time. But I get the feeling a new show regarding busts will never be made.

seattlefan

Guru
Funny thing is that there are tons of black 1st round busts over the last 20 years, yet they are never mentioned on these shows, or those top 10 bust lists you see on internet sites. They just keep carrying on about Leaf/Bosworth/Mandarich. I wonder if they repeat these busts from 15 years ago so that DWFs won't notice that so many 1st round black picks end up busting?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Many Black defensive tackles have been busts. Who can forget Big Daddy Wilkinson. All he did was make local Bungle area fast food franchisees rich...:tongue::thumbdown:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
This program has been discussed before but they are running it again this time of year.

1. Ryan Leaf
2. Tony Mandarich
3. Brian Bosworth
4. Rick Mirer
5. Tim Couch
6. Aundray Bruce
7. Art Schlichter
8. Lawrence Phillips
9. Heath Shuler
10. Houston Run-Shoot Quarterbacks, Ware and Klingler

Since two players shared No. 10, 8 of 11 are white.

The show acknowledged that Bosworth played well most of the time and had to retire because of injuries. Bosworth is remembered as a bust mainly for one play, when Bo Jackson ran over him. They did show film clips of Bosworth taking down Marcus Allen and Roger Craig one on one.

The show also said that Mandarich did play well when he came back with the Colts.

I hate that clip from Jackson running over Bosworth! It's overrated in my opinion! You have a RB/ 6'2, 235 getting 6-8yds. to get running into a LB/6'2, 235 basically standing waiting for the impact, Bosworth was I think shuttling side ways as Jackson had a full head of steam straight at him. Reverse the rolls and guarantee Bosworth does the same thing.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
JaMarcus Russell has to be added to this list now for sure.
And what about Vince Young - does he qualify?

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I hate that clip from Jackson running over Bosworth! It's overrated in my opinion! You have a RB/ 6'2, 235 getting 6-8yds. to get running into a LB/6'2, 235 basically standing waiting for the impact, Bosworth was I think shuttling side ways as Jackson had a full head of steam straight at him. Reverse the rolls and guarantee Bosworth does the same thing.

Thank you for saying that, CS.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Jamaacus is such a bust he could be the whole list. Nobody even comes close. Id call Vick a huge bust too. The way the media hyped him he was supposed to have 8 or 9 rings by now, and as many MVPs.

Truthteller

Mentor
How about this guy: The Jets' Vernon Gholston Needed One Sack To Earn $9 Million... And Never Got It

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com...on-gholston-preseason-game-sack#ixzz1nQsFk4iZ

Good 'ol Vern never recorded a sack during his brief career. But that still won't stop the jock-sniffers and the DWF's from claiming Mike Mamula -- who was a solid starter (31.5 sacks) despite being a woefully undersized DE for 5 years before he decided to retire young -- was the biggest pass rushing bust ever.

Here's a link from last spring. The numbers for the Falcons bust has changed a bit -- he had a career high 3 sacks in '11, giving him 7.5 in 5 seasons

Since 1982, here are the defensive ends picked in the top 10 of the NFL Draft who recorded the fewest number of sacks in their first three seasons.

Vernon Gholston, New York Jets
Reggie Rogers, Detroit Lions
Jamaal Anderson, Atlanta Falcons
Jamal Reynolds, Green Bay Packers
Cedric Jones, New York Giants

Check the wretched stats here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703559604576174861998755324.html

TwentyTwo

Master
D-lineman like Jonathan Sullivan, Ryan Sims, Gerrard Warren, Derrick Harvey, Kentwan Balmer & Courtney Brown also come to mind for 1st round bust.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
This is a retread list every year...it's so obvious why they have to keep it the same because it would be a completely black list if they ever decided to do some real analysis. It is just another way the caste system manifests itself to keep myth/rumors alive.

I think the Mamula is a bust/workout warrior myth pisses me off the most. He was playing out of position - should of been a LB but the Eagles played him at DE yet still managed to have a productive career that was cut short by injuries not lack of production.

Again, it is just more lazy journalism on the part of the jock sniffer reporters.

TwentyTwo - great list of black d-linemen busts.