New game for Pacman!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I guess after Inky, Blinky, Clyde and Roger closed in on Pacman in the NFL. It's off to a game with far less quarters(the CFL). Here is the ESPN story.....Cornerback Adam Jones, released by the Dallas Cowboys in February, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL.

"It'll be a good experience for me to get back in game shape and compete and play football, which I like to do," Jones told SI.com, which first reported the story. "I'm real happy for the opportunity that's been given to me. Of course it's disappointing to me to not be playing in the NFL. But things happen and you have to adjust."

Jones, 25, chose the CFL over the inaugural United Football League, Jones' agents told SI.com. One of the factors was money -- contract details were not immediately known -- but Jones also will be able to play on both sides of the ball in the CFL, which still has 10 weeks remaining in its season. The four teams in the UFL will be playing a six-game schedule beginning in October.

"He's still young and has a lot of playing days ahead of him," Jones' attorney, Worrick Robinson, said. "If the CFL deal works out, it will be a good opportunity for him to get back on the field and show what he can do."

The Cowboys acquired Jones from the Tennessee Titans during the draft in April 2008, after he was suspended by the league for the entire 2007 season following multiple off-field incidents while with the Titans.

But during the 2008 season, Jones was suspended for six games by the NFL after getting into an alcohol-related scuffle in October with a team-provided bodyguard at a Dallas hotel. He spent part of that suspension in an alcohol rehabilitation program.

Mike and Mike in the Morning

ESPN.com senior NFL analyst John Clayton thinks if Adam Jones plays well in the CFL, he could get another shot in the NFL, but he's got a lot of work to do to make that happen. Plus, Clayton comments on Brandon Marshall, Chan Gailey and Osi Umenyiora.

More Podcasts »

Expected to give the Cowboys a boost on defense and special teams, Jones had 31 tackles and no interceptions in his nine games (six of them starts). He averaged only 4.5 yards on 21 punt returns, with a long of 18 yards.

Before going to Dallas, Jones was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention after Tennessee drafted him in the first round in 2005.

Robinson said there had been discussions with "a number of NFL teams" and there had been hopes Jones would be brought into a training camp. No offers were made, however, leaving the CFL as the next best opportunity for Jones to regain his footing.

"Another equation for NFL teams is what his conduct will be off the field and on the field," Robinson said. "It is a good opportunity for him to show the teams in the NFL that he has matured, that he's concentrating on the game and concentrating on his family and trying to leave the past in the past."

John Murphy, Winnipeg's director of player personnel, called the acquisition of Jones a "win-win" situation on and off the field, according to SI.com.

"From a marketing standpoint, a business standpoint and a football standpoint, I could go to 100 NFL training camps and every preseason game and more people will hear and know about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the next two weeks -- from the coverage we'll receive -- than in the last 10 years," he told SI.com.

"If I was in the same position in the NFL I might have a lot more reservations," Murphy added, according to SI.com. "... There isn't a better football player who's not in the NFL, at 25 years old, who's ready to play football, is going to play with a chip on his shoulder, and is going to bring some fun and excitement to our team, our locker room, our city, and our league."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Oh how the mighty have fallen. I believe Canada has night clubs and a few ghetto's as well and so plenty of opportunity for Pac-Man to run afoul of the law again.
smiley2.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Winnipeg is a wonderful city for Pacman to go wild in. Portage and Main is the main street of Winnipeg and the average bar fighter there looks similar to Chief from One Flew over the Cukoo's Nest. Or the Native fighter from Slapshot....
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Winnipeg is a wonderful city for Pacman to go wild in. Portage and Main is the main street of Winnipeg and the average bar fighter there looks similar to Chief from One Flew over the Cukoo's Nest. Or the Native fighter from Slapshot....
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Sounds like you have been there,white is right. Any bar fight stories you care to share?
smiley2.gif

Pac-man probably has far less money now to have a entourage(posse) to walk around with and so far less backup when a fight breaks out.

green fire317

Banned
i would love nothing more for him to go up to someone or a group of people and try and start something and then get floored.

white is right

Hall of Famer
It looks like the re-release of the old fan favourite game will have to wait a while. Winnipeg has reversed field on Pacman. As for bar fight stories I will take the 5th so that I don't self incriminate myself....
smiley2.gif
Here is the AP story.....Winnipeg not pursuing Pacman
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Adam "Pacman" Jones won't be playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after all.

The CFL team announced Wednesday it has ended its pursuit of the controversial ex-NFL cornerback, one day after multiple reports said Jones would play for the team.

lastname
Jones

"It is unfortunate that this situation became public; however, our position has remained consistent," Blue Bombers coach Mike Kelly said in a statement. "We will pursue athletes that we believe will contribute to our organization on and off the field.

"We have completed our assessment and due diligence and at this time we will not be pursuing the services of Adam Jones."

Jones' attorney, Worrick Robinson, told The Associated Press on Tuesday he had been in "consistent negotiations" with a CFL team, but wouldn't say which one.

Jones is a former first-round draft pick of the Tennessee Titans who has twice been suspended by the NFL for off-field incidents -- including for the entire 2007 season -- and was released in February by the Dallas Cowboys.

Before coming to Dallas, Jones was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention after Tennessee drafted him in 2005. He was suspended by commissioner Roger Goodell for the 2007 season before he got in trouble again.

The cornerback's time with the Cowboys was cut short by six games for another behavior-related suspension, an off-field scuffle with a member of the security detail provided by the team.

Jones, who turns 26 at the end of this month, also drew interest from the UFL, the new four-team league scheduled to begin play in October.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I guess Winnipeg didn't want Pacman and his posse blasting 50 cent in the city streets and "poppin em' things" that get in their way. The city wants to keep it's murder count at zero per year. It's usually close to that number.
smiley20.gif

Pacman is just a bad apple.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Sounds like Pacboy is looking to be a team member of Lawrence Phillips on the prison shower squad. What an anti-social, self-destructive moron.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
WHITE NOISE said:
Sounds like Pacboy is looking to be a team member of Lawrence Phillips on the prison shower squad. What an anti-social, self-destructive moron.

Yep, by all rights ol' Pac(ked)man deserves to go from "king" of the gridiron, to "queen" of the cellblock!
smiley36.gif