Nate Ilaoa - RB

G

Just wondering, isNate Ilaoa pure native Hawaiian? If so, even though he isn't white, this would a huge blast to the Caste System to see a non-black like Nate starting at Runningback for a team

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nate is pure Hawaiian as far as I can determine. While it is a good sign that diversity is being allowed at some schools at RB, PolynesianRBs get more chances on the whole,especially at western schools, than do whites. BYU is another example of this. They recruit PolynesianRBs heavily, more than blacks or whites.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I have to disagree, polynesian/pacific islander players take potential roster spots away from white players...anyone who does not look white gets a better shot than a white player gets.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thats pretty much my argument, Leonardfan. Even at "white-friendly" schools, those who are evensuspected of being non-white, even to a small degree, are sought out, given a shot, and used more than whites. I do hope that in a few cases, they may open the position back up to whites, but I think that is a rare possibility.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
About the only group that is treated worse than whites as RB, WR and CB prospects is east Asians (not talking about Pacific Islanders obviously). But this treatment may have some validity to it. They are smaller and less of them play organized football. Many east Asians are more into tennis, golf, swimming, martial arts, baseball etc. Maybe they know it is a lost cause trying to beat the caste system especially with stigmas against them as having small frames and being soft. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Freedom

Mentor
What did the guy do to get banned? A Hawaiian would only hurt the system if he became really good, HOF good. If he became average, he'd be lauded for his strength and size at 5'9 and 248lbs! He's like a bowling ball. Unless he proved to be a Marshall Faulk caliber player, the media would cover for him. Good back though.

Gi-15

Mentor
Back in the days when chris fuamatu'mahafala was playing RB for the steelers, he was getting good results as a backup to bettis, but all the media was seeing was a funny name, no real talent, then he got hurt and reaalll fat. In my book, hawaian players don't take a spot from white players, because white player don't have pre-destined spots anyway. I'll root for Nate.