Morgan Freeman: No black history month

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A fewof my Confederate ancestors were poor, recent Irish immigrants. There were tons of poor Irish who fought for the South, although they did tend to be older immigrants than their Federal counterparts. If you want to watch a moving Irish scene from The War of Northern Agression, watch For Gods and Generals.

As for Morgan Freeman, I've been around his hometown quite a bit and have met him. Although he is a good actor, his recent exploits with a white woman while he was still married to a black woman have exposed the truth about him and his personal character. He does do a lot to help out the local region though, whether it is through donations of time or money, or with businesses. Contrast this with Oprah Winfrey, who is also a blackfrom Mississippi.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
 Can you picture a similar situation happening now? Would Mexicans take up arms to keep the Union in power?

Yes.

Freedom

Mentor
There's a faint line in Gods and Generals where one of the southern soldiers says something to the effect of, "What are the Irish doing fighting for the Union? Don't they know we're fighting for our independence?"

The Yankee Transcendentalists were quite bigoted towards the Irish and viewed them as generally subhuman. They used Irish Catholics to subjugate Irish Protestants because they felt that they had to crush Calvinist leaning religions, from which they were apostates.

Clyde Wilson has written quite a bit on the subject that I recommend.Edited by: Freedom