MMA Weekend!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Just in case you guys aren't aware, UFC 62 is on PPV Saturday, Aug. 26, 10:00 PM EST. Main event Chuck Liddell v Renato "Babalu" Sobral, undercard features a rematch between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar, among others.

Sunday @ 7:00 PM, on FREE TV, Fox Sports Network, Pride will air BUSHIDO. The fight card will feature fighters like Dan Henderson, Gomi, Sakurai, Ryo Chonan, Paulo Filho, and even Butterbean.
smiley17.gif

I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two with my PPV dollars, otherwise I'd have to catch Chack on Youtube. Edited by: White Shogun

Poacher

Mentor
Chuck V. Babalou should be good. Just read a good article about Chuck. He seems focused and serious about the fight. Babalou is tough but I think Chuck will win again. Thereby setting up the much anticipated Chuck/ Silva match. But then again I don't even know if that fight is still going to happen. I think it's just speculation at this point.

Triad

Mentor
Someone with the PPV please update us on the Liddell fight when it's over.

Poacher

Mentor
Babalou fought a stupid fight, chasing Chuck around the cage trying to strike with him. Chuck caught him with an uppercut and went apesh*it after that. Babalou was so out of it he started fighting the referee ("big John").

Chuck looked a little fat. Didn't seem to bother him though.

Not a good night for white fighters though. The big african (I can't consider him "French"), Cheik Kongo, beat a white guy named Christian Wellisch who is dividing his time between law school and MMA training and took the fight on three weeks notice. Jamie Varner gassed and got subbed by someone named Hermes Franca. Although the fight probably would have ended before that had big John not stopped the fight to deduct a point from Varner for running.

The Bonnar/ Griffin fight was the best of the night.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The only white fighter to win on this card, in a mixed race bout, was Chuck Liddell.

Hermes Franca has been around for a few years, his most notable win over Caol Uno by KO in '03. IMO, Varner wasn't gassed as much as he was almost KO'd by Franca. Varner led with his head on his takedowns and telegraphed them on the way in. Franca noticed and started kneeing him in the face every time he came in. Varner was able to recover somewhat after McCarthy stopped the fight to deduct a point for running, but this set up the arm bar that eventually won the fight.

The Josh Neer - Nick Diaz fight was embarrassing. Neer did not seem to want to fight at all. He rarely threw any punches in return, and let Diaz pick at him throughout the fight with those tap-tap jabs and upper cuts. On the rare occasion that Neer would throw and land something, he would rock Diaz. One wonders why he wouldn't let his hands fly.

I felt the Wellisch - Kongo fight was a mis-match from the beginning. Kongo has more fights and more experience than Wellisch. The problem is, who is there in the heavyweight ranks to fight Kongo? It is evident that he is being groomed for a title shot against Sylvia sometime in the near future. Arlovski is injured, Buentello left the UFC, and Kongo already beat Gilbert Aldana. This was Wellisch' debut in the UFC. It would have been nice to see him beat Kongo, and he almost did so with a decent armbar attempt early, but like I said, I thought this was a purposeful mismatch to get Kongo some more exposure to setup Kongo - Sylvia.

And what's with Kongo calling out Frank Mir? Mir two years ago would have destroyed this guy. Mir today will get KO'd.

Wes Combs lost by RNC to Wilson Gouveia, the Brazilian who lost a decision to Keith Jardine in his last fight.

And Yushin Okami won by UD over Alan Belcher.

Fairly disappointing night of fights. I hope the Pride card tonight is better.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White_Savage said:
Kongo defeated the opponent they hand-picked for him to beat, yes, but otherwise I think it was good weekend for us. Franca defeated Varner, always good to see one of the supposed "uber-athletes" beaten, even if it is by a non-White. Diaz's domination of the guy who defeated Melvin Guillard proves how over-rated that guy is, as well as the how great the desire to over-rate black fighters is.

Savage:
While watching the fight we actually discussed the reversal of stereotypes in the Varner - Franca fight. Varner was the more athletic of the two, and Franca the more technical and tactical, if you will. The usual stereotype pits the non-white 'athlete' against the superior technical white fighter.

I see you have the same opinion of the Kongo-Wellisch fight that I had. That fight was about exposure for Kongo, and like I said, who else is there in the heavyweight ranks of the UFC for him to fight right now?

The Griffin - Bonnar fight was interesting enough, but I still prefer grappling over tough-man style standup. Griffin's standup has definitely improved, his punches are crisp and sharp, and he no longer throws looping haymaker bombs like he did in the first fight between these two. I was a little surprised that 1) he did not KO Bonnar, and 2) after watching the way Rashad handled Bonnar on the ground that he didn't take Bonnar down and GnP to a win.

White_Savage

Mentor
I'm not terribly happy the '***** won, but it was as you say, "arranged", so I don't consider it a bad blow. Sylvia will eat him. Just proves UFC needs to do something about it's HW division.

I don't care too much when some mestizo fighter I never heard of beats some White fighter, since no seriously believes mestizos are physically more powerful than White. And every caste-system propagandist "knows" that Asians are far weaker and less robust than White, so good fight, even though I'd rather the White guy win. Okami's win doesn't please me near as much as Sak choking out Jackson or Gomi breaking Bennet's arm, of course...

And Diaz's demolition of the guy who beat Melvin Guillard just proves how over-rated that guy is, and the level of desire there is to over-rate black fighters.

White_Savage

Mentor
Shogun: I did not shell out for UFC 62, I read the PBP though. When I typed my original post I had Jamie Varner confused with a black fighter named Mike Varner! That is the source of my comment about uberathletes etc. Sorry for the mixup.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White_Savage said:
Shogun: I did not shell out for UFC 62, I read the PBP though.

You didn't miss anything.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
I see you have the same opinion of the Kongo-Wellisch fight that I had. That fight was about exposure for Kongo, and like I said, who else is there in the heavyweight ranks of the UFC for him to fight right now?

Monson? I can't think of anyone else. How about the Brazilian who wants to be LHW and HW champ, I forget his name. I think he called out Liddell at some point.

Having said that, I would love to see this guy fight Sylvia. Go Sylvia!!