Mike Wright

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Fifth year undrafted free agent Mike Wright is finally getting a significant amount of playing time following the trade of Richard Seymour and -- surprise, surprise! -- he's damn good, as productive as Seymour was. Perhaps his racial apprenticeship is nearly at an end.

The Wright stuff

<DIV id=story>
FOXBORO - Away from the screaming fans and the Sunday spotlight, Mike Wright once felt he was at his best. The practice fields were his sanctuary, where he played to his potential, without the pressure.

On game day, something happened.

"I think I always hyped up the games a little too much, got myself a little more worked up than I should," Wright said of his his first few years in the league. "I keep myself relaxed now, focus on what I can do.

"Last year, the more I was out there, I just tried to kind of do my same routine on game day as I would for practice."

In past years, Wright was an afterthought on the Patriots defensive line, with Richard Seymour, Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork the main cogs on the line of scrimmage. Yet Wright has developed an all-around skill-set over the past couple years, and with Seymour now in Oakland, he now has shifted into a more prominent role up front.

After dropping Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco twice in Sunday's win, Wright has a team-high three sacks (his other was a strip-sack of Jets QB Mark Sanchez on the Patriots' first defensive play in Week 2, resulting in a 17-yard loss).

"I'm just glad I'm doing it out on the field now instead of practice," Wright said.

His coaches have noticed consistent production, however, since he entered the NFL in 2005.

"We've had confidence in him all along - I don't think it's necessarily just all of the sudden in the last couple games," said Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees.

Wright's football resume isn't quite as glowing as many of his current defensive teammates. Coming out of high school in Cincinnati, Wright only received a scholarship offer from Div. II Ashland University in Ashland, Ohio. He transferred after the 2000 season back to his hometown college of Cincinnati, but played only two years with the Bearcats (he redshirted in 2001, then missed 2002 with a knee injury), and left without significant collegiate accolades.

Yet Bill Belichick brought him in as an undrafted free agent in 2005, and after a quiet rookie year (16 tackles), Wright's production shot up. At the end of 2006, he had 29 tackles over his final four games while filling in for an injured Wilfork, including 12 against Tennessee.

This year, he's one of three undrafted players, along with linebackers Pierre Woods and Gary Guyton, to have a prominent role in Belichick's defense.

"Mike's improved every year, and his versatility has grown every year," Belichick said.

Perhaps the biggest growth in his game has been in the pass rush. Having just 1.5 sacks in his first three years, Wright recorded 2.5 last year, and has already eclipsed that total this fall. He's also rotated at each position on the Patriots' front line, and said he now feels comfortable playing anywhere in both the team's 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, as well as on special teams.

"I think the biggest thing is just the experience," said Wright, who signed a four-year deal worth $7.5 million in March.

And when the news hit that Seymour was off to football purgatory with the Raiders, Wright kept his routine just as it once was.

"I thought I would probably get a little bit more playing time, but I didn't know what it would amount to be," he said. "I just stayed focused on what I had to do. ... I knew I would be in there a little bit, but it would all depend on how I performed."

Wright, who did draw a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness after contacting Flacco's helmet on Sunday, played through a nagging shoulder injury that limited him in practice last week.

"I was out there, so it was all right," he said.

As long as he's on the field, things will stay that way.

"It's great to be out there and be a constant guy, which is what I've always wanted to do here," he said.

(Andy Vogt is a Daily News staff writer. He can be reached at 508-626-3848 or jvogt@cnc.com.)
http://www.wickedlocal.com/norfolk/news/x1992008552/Patriots-The-Wright-stuff

backrow

Hall of Famer
no sh*t, poor guy only had to ride the pine for 4 seasons... what a waste of time!

Taco

Guru
its amazing he was picked up at all in 2005, being a DII player with an injury for a year and having only 2 real years of play...Belichik has a knack for picking up diamonds in the rough.

TwentyTwo

Master
Mike Wright...did not start...was the only white player on the defense...probably made the best defensive play of the night making a niceup-field tackle on the Saints RB...

The Patriots were shredded for 371 yards by Drew Brees and the Saints on MNF....all of the affletes looked helpless...the Patriots D lack a Scott Shanle/Scott Fujita type player like the Saints have...you have to mix some salt with the pepper...it's just better that way!

Maybe the in 2010 DraftPatriots can look into getting Penn State LB-Sean Lee....or one of the Iowa LB's...AJ Edds or Pat Angerer...late in the draft it might not hurt to take local-LB Boston College-Mike McLaughlin or DE-John Russell from Wake Forest...

Or a Safety like Kyle McCarthy-Notre Dame; Cody Grimm VaTech or Jordan Lake-Baylor would be nice too....

In 06' when the Saints signed the Snow Patrol...they were considered fil-in/temporary types...yet 4 years later Fujita &amp; Shanle remain solid starters in the NFL!Edited by: TwentyTwo

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I agree 22, the Pats have gone away from most of things that won them super bowls.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bill Belichick singles out Mike Wright for praise after his great game last week. Unfortunately, in response Wright does his best shuck 'n jive, I'm-just-a-lowly-backup-and-love-it routine.

Wright About as Good as It Gets

Patriots coach Bill Belichick stood behind the lectern at his news conference yesterday and rattled off a list of things he liked about Sunday, a common and banal ritual on the Monday following a victory. The topics were mundane - third-down defense, perimeter blocking on punt returns - until Belichick broke protocol. He mentioned one player, and only one player, by name.

"Mike Wright had a tremendous game,'' Belichick said. "About as good as a defensive lineman can play, really.''

<DIV =articlePluck>

The Patriots relied on him, and Wright played, he believed, the best game of his life. Wright replaced Ty Warren as a starter at defensive end against the Bills, and by game's end he had contributed from every position and in every way a defensive lineman can.
<DIV =articlePluck>

Wright played end, tackle, and nose guard. He made a sack, he dropped a running back for a loss, and he tackled a wide receiver 30 yards downfield. Playing without Warren and Vince Wilfork, the Patriots allowed 105 rushing yards - only 21 in the second half - to a Bills team determined to run the ball.
<DIV =articlePluck>

In his fifth year of a career spent entirely with the Patriots, Wright holds no illusions about his job. "I'm a backup,'' he said. "That's my role on this team.'' He knows how infrequent opportunities like Sunday's can be, and he knows the importance of seizing them.
<DIV =articlePluck>

Belichick rarely offers such strident public praise. Apprised of the remarks, Wright tried to suppress a smile in front of his locker yesterday. He couldn't.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"It feels good, especially coming from Coach,'' Wright said. "I try to up my standards a little bit every game. I expect a lot out of myself, and I think [Sunday] was just a product of my preparation and my hard work throughout the week.''
<DIV =articlePluck>

Two plays defined Wright's game, and the first came early in the second quarter. Wright knew he would play the entire game, and by early in the second quarter, Wright had settled into more of a rhythm than usual. He already had a sack, the first for the Patriots and his fifth this season.
<DIV =articlePluck>

The Bills had established their running game, and they called another off-tackle play to Marshawn Lynch. Wright burst through the line, chased Lynch down from the backside, and enveloped Lynch, dragging him down for a 3-yard loss.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"From then on, I was enjoying myself,'' Wright said. "It was fun.''
<DIV =articlePluck>

Wright forgets when, exactly, the moment came that changed his season. He entered the NFL undrafted, and he believes his work ethic provided him his career. Earlier this season, in the course of his daily routine, he saw something that shocked him.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"I don't know what happened,'' Wright said. "All I know is, I watched myself on film one day and I realized that I wasn't hustling like I used to. What got me here is my hustle. And I think I kind of overlooked that part of this season. I've been trying to put an emphasis on it in practice."

<DIV =articlePluck>

Sunday provided Wright a moment to put it to use. As the Patriots clung to a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter, Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick zipped a pass to Josh Reed on fourth and 8. Safety Brandon Meriweather bounced off the receiver as Reed caught the ball at the sticks, and Reed bolted up field.
<DIV =articlePluck>
<DIV id=article>
<DIV = id=related>

As Meriweather missed him again, Reed weaved toward the end zone. Wright had been sprinting toward the play - "you never know when somebody is going to miss a tackle,'' he said. When Reed reached the 12, 29 yards past the line of scrimmage, Wright caught him from behind and dragged him to the ground. Four plays later, the Bills turned the ball over on downs.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"I think it lets the rest of the team know, not just me, that when guys are hustling like we did, you're selling out on every play,'' Wright said. "If you're going to take a guy out, you're not thinking about missing him. You know that guy is going to be right there, so you're not worried about mistakes. You're just out there playing.''
<DIV =articlePluck>

His performance showed why the Patriots signed Wright to a four-year contract extension this spring. Wright had proved his value as a backup and special teams player; he was a member of the wedge last year. He felt validated by the contract, but not secure.
<DIV =articlePluck>

Wright barely celebrated when he signed the deal. ("I'm not an extravagant kind of guy,'' he said. "I didn't buy anything new. I'm sure I went out to a nice dinner with my wife.'') And he did not change his approach.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"It was great to get that,'' Wright said. "It was a huge accomplishment for me. But it doesn't end there. You still got to make the team. You still got to make your presence known and be productive and keep your spot on the team. Because that extension means absolutely nothing if you don't produce.
<DIV =articlePluck>

"It made me feel good at the time, but I knew that was out the door as soon as we stepped on the field. It's not about what you did in the past. It's about what you're doing now. Everybody knows that around here.''
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/12/22/wright_about_as_good_as_it_gets/?page=1

Bear Backer

Mentor
I don't know what it is about a lot of these White players but it is awfully hard to support them when they come out looking so "aw shucks apple pie eating Opie" at the thought of mere praise. Like it is a sin that anything positive could ever be said about them. It is like they can't even fathom saying something like "I have always had confidence in myself that I could excel if given the chance. I want to play, and play at a high level in this league like I know I am capable of doing." No they have to resort to the tired old caste lines like "I'm just a backup who is lucky to be playing blah blah. I'm just here because I hustle hyuck hyuck. I know White people generally don't like braggarts and empty boasters, but MY GOD! Nobody likes a doormat either.

It is just night and day the difference how Black players go to extremes to excuse their behavior and failures while White players act like it is a taboo to even get the recognition they deserve. We have a classic example this week in Albert Haynesworth who won't accept any responsibility for the Redskins woes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4772458

"I'm still playing as hard as I possibly can. But you can only do so much within the system that's put around you."

"They're all against me or whatever,But I know what I'm saying is right because I've been in a scheme that works."

"I was late. I'll pay the fine, The thing that doesn't make any sense to me, they're talking about disciplinary action because I was 20 minutes late? I'm not going to throw anybody under the bus, but I've seen guys two hours late, show up right before practice on a normal day, and they get to do everything and the coaches just respond with, 'Whatever.'

"This is like the second time I've ever been late," he added. "In the preseason, I fell asleep and was like a couple of minutes late for a meeting. This is the second time I've ever been late for a meeting and I get sent home."

"They might have changed a little bit [but] they don't let me rush," Haynesworth said. "They call what Blache calls 'Hot,' a basic pass rush, maybe a few times a game. And half the time that's changed because of some formation. I disagree with their whole scheme."

"We got great corners and safeties here that can play if they were used right, They make a million checks before the ball is snapped. Guys are sitting there thinking instead of reacting. Guys are sitting there thinking instead of playing. When you're sitting there thinking about what you're going to do when you're trying to run, you don't go as fast. When it's natural and it comes to you, you do it. You know? It's instinct. You know what I mean? What they want us to do is think and be robots. This is just ridiculous."

I am not suggesting White players be fat idiots like Haynesworth, but good lord a little bit self respect would go along way.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
How Ty Warren and Jarvis Green, after years of absolute mediocrity, are still starters, is beyond me.

Green has 33 total tackles and 1 sack, and Warren has 46 total tackles a 1 sack. The always rotund and supremely out of shape Vince Wilfork has 43 tackles a zero sacks. Boring. The Pats' loser linebacking core is even worse (Great Grandpa Seau even got playing time last week), and their secondary is literally 4 nobodies. Yet they passed on Laurenitis, Cushing, Connor, Matthews, Barwin, etc in past drafts.

At least the clueless Defensive Dunce, Bellichick, finally realized that Mike Wright and Rob Ninkovich will actually makes plays"¦.as opposed to slothfully taking up space like his chubby, unathletic afroletes.

backrow

Hall of Famer
pass-rushing effectiveness study recently published by ProFootballFocus.com proved just how good and underappreciated Mike Wright is:

The study factors in sacks, hits, and pressures divided by pass-rushing opportunities. The Chiefs' Tamba Hali ranked as the top outside linebacker, the Pats' Mike Wright as the top interior lineman, and the Eagles' Brandon Graham as the top rookie in PFF's study.