Mike Trout

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
knightedsoldier5000, Yes, I saw this. I'm hoping this bodes well for Trout's future. Seeing he still has this kind of power despite his injuries and now 31 years, it seems he hasn't lost any strength. Hoping for another 10-12 years, so he can still make a run at one of the greatest players of all-time.
Based on the 40 homers this year and the 45 he had in 2019 (his last full season), it seems that Trout is rounding into more of a power hitter. This could be good or bad depending on what you appreciate about his skill set. I for one am a bit disappointed that his average is down from his earlier years where he was consistently over .300. Also, he's basically given up on stealing bases. Now I'm not sure if that is own decision or handed down by management to keep him more healthy, but it is a bit disappointing. Even as he ages out of the 40+ SB territory, he still should be capable of stealing 20 or so. That was an exciting part of his game which I sorely miss.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes Trout was a 5 star player with all the tools to beat you either hitting or fielding. I don't see him running as much now but I can live with
that as long as he cuts down on his strikeouts, keeps his average around 300 and hits for power while driving in alot of runs. We can't
expect him to do everything like he used to. We can however remember how great he was in his prime. Seeing him hit for power makes
me very happy.

Trout who is 31 years of age now has 350 homeruns. By comparison Aaron Judge who is 30 years old has 220. So that should put it into
perspective just how incredible Mike Trout has been despite missing between 2 to 3 seasons of playing baseball. Incredible!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Based on the 40 homers this year and the 45 he had in 2019 (his last full season), it seems that Trout is rounding into more of a power hitter. This could be good or bad depending on what you appreciate about his skill set. I for one am a bit disappointed that his average is down from his earlier years where he was consistently over .300. Also, he's basically given up on stealing bases. Now I'm not sure if that is own decision or handed down by management to keep him more healthy, but it is a bit disappointing. Even as he ages out of the 40+ SB territory, he still should be capable of stealing 20 or so. That was an exciting part of his game which I sorely miss.

I agree. I'm a bit disappointed or concerned about the dip in BA. I would like Trout to finish his career with the classic 300/400/500 slash line, I believe only 22 players have ever done that. His career BA sits at .303 is the stat most likely to drop below the classic slash unless he starts cutting down his strikeouts. Also, I'm sure that it was management that has put the kibosh on the base stealing. This stat has hurt his march to the top of the WAR list as well. The fact that he's been injured and the Covid stoppage along with not stealing bases might just curtail him being in the conversation as the GOAT. However, as I've stated numerous times, he is without a doubt the greatest player ever in the first 8 years of his career. He was ahead of everyone in just about every stat during that time period.
BTW, if you ever watch Trout getting out of the box after he hits the ball, it's amazing. He is so quick for large man. It's evident that he hasn't lost much speed as he routinely in 2022 beat out balls hit to the infield for hits.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Trout who is 31 years of age now has 350 homeruns. By comparison Aaron Judge who is 30 years old has 220. So that should put it into
perspective just how incredible Mike Trout has been despite missing between 2 to 3 seasons of playing baseball. Incredible!

The 2023 Baseball Season has it's opening day today. The Angels play later tonight. We need to really hope and pray that Trout can have
better luck with his back and body going forward. He should have been at minimum 400 to 450 homeruns by now if not for the non stop
injuries. When he plays he is still the most exciting player in all of MLB in my opinion. Yes I'm a little biased as he is my favorite player but
the guy just can do things that most baseball players can't do on offense and defense. He hasn't lost much speed but his steals will decline
as he is too valuable to risk more back injuries with all of the hard sliding. Just hoping father time will allow him to age gracefully. It's all up
to God. I would love to see him play the whole season and have a new season high for homeruns with 50 to get him to 400 for his career. He
has no time to waste in his chase of the all time great. Good luck to Mike Trout this season and going forward!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout now sits atop the MLB active WAR leader list at just 31 years old. 82.4. Barring a career ending injury, he should be there for as long as he wants to play. Could be 10-12 more years. Despite missing the equivalent of 2 seasons, Trout is 14.7 ahead of his nearest MLB player, Miguel Cabrera, 67.7. Cabrera has been in the league 21 years and is 40 years old. The next player that is about the same age as Trout would be Mookie Betts (30), at 56.2., 26.2 WAR behind Trout.
Trout should pass Ken Griffey Jr. in the next few weeks. Griffey who played 22 years and is considered one of the top 5 five tool players of all time. Trout will pass him at age 31 and just 12 years in the league minus 2 because of injuries and Covid. After passing Griffey, Trout should be in the conversation for being in the top 5 if not number 1. Some consider him the GOAT already.
Look for Trout, number 60 all time WAR, to pass Griffey-57th, Chipper Jones-51st, and the GREAT George Brett-48th among others in WAR. this season.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I saw on twitter on opening day of the MLB season that folks were saying Aaron Judge had passed Mike Trout as the best player in MLB. Well, I won't go into career stats except for WAR.
Mike Trout WAR 82.8
Judge WAR 37.3 not even close. In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say Judge will never reach the current WAR Mike Trout has.
Here are the stats so far this season
Trout AVG .400, OBP. .586, SLG. .800 2 HR/ 5 RBI
Judge AVG. .296, OBP. .387, SLG. .519 2 HR/ 4 RBI
Judge will never pass Mike Trout as the best player in MLB even though Trout has a career threatening back injury, he's till way better than Judge!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I saw on twitter on opening day of the MLB season that folks were saying Aaron Judge had passed Mike Trout as the best player in MLB. Well, I won't go into career stats except for WAR.
Mike Trout WAR 82.8
Judge WAR 37.3 not even close. In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say Judge will never reach the current WAR Mike Trout has.
Judge will never pass Mike Trout as the best player in MLB even though Trout has a career threatening back injury, he's till way better than Judge!

See a true baseball fan would know that but because Judge is mixed they will push this narrative. Aaron Judge is a very talented player but no
where near being as good as an all around player as Trout was and still is. I do tip the hat for him breaking Maris Yankees All Time Season Homer Record. I was rooting against it but Judge did it. Give credit where credit is do but he not the best player in MLB. He is probably the
best homerun slugger in the league but even with that we could name a handful of guys that could beat him this year and in the future.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Power this man generates is incredible. Complete Baseball Player that you build a team around. Hope the Angels finally get back
to the playoffs this year as it's been beyond sickening to see Trout rarely play in the post season. His longest moon shots ever!

maxres.jpg

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Trout after going 0-2 so far today is in a 0-11 slump. BA down to .268.
Alonso hit his 6th HR today.
Seattle's Jared Kelenic hits a 482 ft. HR number 3 today. This young man is finally coming around. Great to see!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout WAR 82.8
How absurd. Judge will be 31 in 2 weeks while Trout will turn 32 in August, making them less than 1 year apart. Judge had a great season last year but he had the advantage of being on a good team in a hitters park. If they are both healthy this year, I bet Trout will finish with the higher WAR.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
How absurd. Judge will be 31 in 2 weeks while Trout will turn 32 in August, making them less than 1 year apart. Judge had a great season last year but he had the advantage of being on a good team in a hitters park. If they are both healthy this year, I bet Trout will finish with the higher WAR.
I agree. But.....I don't believe in Jinxes or luck, but after I made my post, Judge hit 2 HR's and had 5 RBI and Trout is in an 0-14 slump. Including 7 K's! BA. has went from the high 300's to .262. I hope he snaps out of it this weekend!!

Warhawk_46

Master
I agree. But.....I don't believe in Jinxes or luck, but after I made my post, Judge hit 2 HR's and had 5 RBI and Trout is in an 0-14 slump. Including 7 K's! BA. has went from the high 300's to .262. I hope he snaps out of it this weekend!!
Trout in a huge slump early in the season… this is not good. He is the best player in the world and yet is prone to horrible slumps. It’s just that when he is good he is VERY good so his numbers are usually great. But if he could get away from these prolonged slumps that seem to happen a few times each season…

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout hit his 300th career double today, becoming the fourth player in MLB history to hit over 300 HR's and 300 doubles, 200 stolen bases by age 31.
The other 3 players who've accomplished this feat, include Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, and Alex Rodriquez.
Interesting that the Angels have not allowed Trout to ever attempt a steal anymore. It's been 6 years now that Trout has stopped attempting to steal. Much. Probably would be closing in on 4-500 steals by now.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Well, it took him about three weeks longer than I thought, but Mike Trout has finally passed Ken Griffey Jr. on the all time WAR list. Griffey Jr. is considered one of the top 5 five-tool players of all time and Trout has passed him in what amounts to half the time that Griffey played. Although Trout is in his 13th season, he's only played in about 10 and a half full seasons. Trout now sits 56th all time in WAR. 84.0. He should pass Ferguson Jenkins very soon and will pass the likes of Chipper Jones by mid-season. He may even catch the GREAT George Brett by seasons end!
Although Trout is not having one of his better seasons, he's slashing .280/.370/.524 and his career slash line is 300/400/500. Only 20 or so MLB players have had the classic 3/4/5 career stat. I hope Trout's career BA. doesn't drop below .300.

Well, it took him about three weeks longer than I thought, but Mike Trout has finally passed Ken Griffey Jr. on the all time WAR list. Griffey Jr. is considered one of the top 5 five-tool players of all time and Trout has passed him in what amounts to half the time that Griffey played. Although Trout is in his 13th season, he's only played in about 10 and a half full seasons. Trout now sits 56th all time in WAR. 84.0. He should pass Ferguson Jenkins very soon and will pass the likes of Chipper Jones by mid-season. He may even catch the GREAT George Brett by seasons end!
Although Trout is not having one of his better seasons, he's slashing .280/.370/.524 and his career slash line is 300/400/500. Only 20 or so MLB players have had the classic 3/4/5 career stat. I hope Trout's career BA. doesn't drop below .300.
55.Fergie Jenkins+ (19)84.210104500.2R
56.Mike Trout (13, 31)84.06348R
57.Pedro Martinez+ (18)83.95182827.1R
58.Ken Griffey Jr.+ (22)83.811304L
59.John Clarkson+ (12)83.220604536.1R

Let's not forget how much 'hype' and media glorification, and practically idol worship that K Griffey Jr. recieved back in the day by all the nuthuggers. Non-stop media hype for the young black superstar.

Now how much hype has Trout received? Very very little compared to what he should have received. He's gotten the Jim Thome treatment. An all time great player dissed by 'homies' and blacks because he's white. The praise he has received has been a begrudging praise .... yeah ok, Trout's an all time great, but how about that room brightening smile from the great black player over there?

In 13 seasons, Trout has passed K Griffey Jr's 22 seasons of WAR.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Each year it seems since Mike Trout has become known as the greatest baseball player on the planet and maybe the best ever, the media likes to make comparisons of new talent saying are they as good or better than Mike Trout. About 3-4 years ago it started with Jose Altuve. I remember the comparisons. Will Altuve rival Trout as MLB best player? While Altuve had an exceptional year or two back in 2015/16, he since has fallen off a little. No more talk about him and Trout. Last year it was Mookie Betts. I remember the media asking, has Betts replaced Trout as the games best player. Betts, last years MVP, did have a great year actually beat him in WAR for once!! What about the other 5 seasons Betts has been in the league when Trout has worn him and everyone else out. Now, in 2019 there's been no more talk about Betts. His WAR is 4.0, while Trout is on another level at 6.6!
However, so far in 2019 there have been more than one comparison to Trout and that there may be others as good or better than. I have counted 5. Obviously with the year Bellinger and Yelich are having they will draw comparisons. To me Yelich being the closest to Trout's game than anyone in terms of years in the league, speed and power, but it's just been over the last two seasons. Trout's been doing it ever since he arrived 8-9 years ago. Bellinger is having an MVP year, but it's just his first at 23 years old. Trout had in MVP at 22 and should've had 3 by age 24. As a matter of fact, you could argue Trout's been the MVP every year he's played!
Unbelievably, when Vlad Guerrero Jr. came up there were comparisons of him to Mike Trout. Jr. Just take a look at his rookie stats compared to Trout's. Then there's someone named Juan Soto whose been compared to Trout after Just 200 games. I even heard Ronald Acuna's name come up as the next Trout.
Sorry guys, there's no other Mike Trout coming for a while. Maybe in 25-30 years!
I'm not going to go into a long list of stats to prove a point. I'll just use the best overall stat that's being used, WAR, to prove there's no comparison of any other players I mentioned above, and Trout.

Mike Trout, Career WAR: 70.8, season '19 WAR, 6.6. 8 years/27 years old.
Mookie Betts, Career WAR:39.1, season '19 WAR, 4.0. 6 years/26 years old.
Jose Altuve, Career WAR: 36.0, season '19 WAR, 1.2. 9 years/29 years old.
Christian Yelich, Career WAR:32.4, season'19WAR, 5.9. 7 years/27 years old.
Cody Bellinger, Career WAR: 15.1, season '19WAR, 6.7. 3 years/23 years old.
Ronald Acuna, Career WAR: 7.6, season' 19 WAR, 3.5. 2 years/21 years old.
Juan Soto, Career WAR: 5.3, season '19 WAR, 2.4. 2 years/20 years old.
Guerrero JR.Career WAR: 1.0, season '19 WAR, 1.0. 1 year. 19 years old.

Trout is the all time leader in WAR, 70.8, to age 27 already, with 60 games left in the season. Ahead of the great Ty Cobb, 69.2!

As you can see, it's absurd to put any of these players in Trout's category
Trout has pretty much doubled what Betts, Altuve, and Yelich have done of the guys near his age and years of service. As for the others from Bellinger on down, it's way to early!
I guess all these wrong and early speaks to greatness you see once in a lifetime.
The fact is, there won't be another like Mike Trout.
Remember this post? There's not been anyone like Trout since Mantle/Mays. I'm not counting Bonds. Although a great player, he was a steroid abuser and his accomplishments were not as good as Trout's, Mantle's or Mays before the drug use.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Mike Trout has sustained another injury! This time it's a Hamate fracture. Wrist/hand. He's been put on the 10 day IL, but typically it's a 6-8 week recovery. Which means Trout won't likely be back until September if at all.
Just really sad that the GOAT talent wise will never be considered the GOAT in terms of career numbers. He just can't stay healthy.
...and I don't see anyone coming through HS or the minors that's even close to Trout anytime soon. Probably the best player I've ever seen or will ever see in my lifetime unless I live another 30 years.

Mike Trout has sustained another injury! This time it's a Hamate fracture. Wrist/hand. He's been put on the 10 day IL, but typically it's a 6-8 week recovery. Which means Trout won't likely be back until September if at all.
Just really sad that the GOAT talent wise will never be considered the GOAT in terms of career numbers. He just can't stay healthy.
...and I don't see anyone coming through HS or the minors that's even close to Trout anytime soon. Probably the best player I've ever seen or will ever see in my lifetime unless I live another 30 years.
It's a tragedy. No doubt about it. Covid and injuries have stolen about 4 years of prime playing years from Trout. At one time he was on pace to break the all time records for HR, R, and BB. Those appear to be out the window now unless he starts hitting 70+ HRs at age 39 like barroid allegedly did.

There are a ton of great young white prospects coming up. One player that i think could rack up Trout-like WAR numbers is Pete Crow-Armstrong. Keep an eye on him. Hopefully he gets called up this year. A+ CF defense, SBs, power, OBP, he's a true 5 tool player.

I'm by no means closing the book on Trout. He should have another near decade to play, but the last 4 years have been disappointing to say the least.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
There are a ton of great young white prospects coming up.
I know there are a lot of younger white players coming through the minors, but I don't see anyone near Trout's talent. No one, not even Mantle or Mays had the stats Trout did coming in as a 20 year old rookie. Trout hit 30 homeruns, led the league in runs, 129 and stolen bases 49!! He stole 49 on just 54 attempts. That's a 91% clip. He also hit .326. No one has ever come into the Major leagues at his age stealing bases at a 91% rate. Rodriquez had the power, but not Trout's speed. Cobb had the speed, but not the power, although he played in the dead ball era. I can't find anyone, ever that came in at 20 years old with his combination of size, speed and power.
This Crow-Armstrong young man looks like he may have a promising career, but he's 21 years old and still in AA. he's 5'11, 184 lbs. He's hitting .277 in AA. Trout, 6'2, 235 lbs., had already hit 57 HR's, stole 82 bases, hit .324, and scored 238 runs by the time he was 21 in MLB.
I doubt we'll see the likes of Michael Nelson Trout in our lifetime if ever again. I hope I'm wrong though.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is just so sad. He was just about on pace for a 40 homerun year with around 100 rbi's but now he will miss 2 months or baseball.
He may just eventually retire earlier than he had planned. Battling back from injuries year after year makes a person just want to give up
many times. I hope not but that is my fear. His talent was and still is immense. If only his body would have stayed healthy who knows
just how great his numbers would be at this stage of his career. Just devestating news.

Warhawk_46

Master
This is just so sad. He was just about on pace for a 40 homerun year with around 100 rbi's but now he will miss 2 months or baseball.
He may just eventually retire earlier than he had planned. Battling back from injuries year after year makes a person just want to give up
many times. I hope not but that is my fear. His talent was and still is immense. If only his body would have stayed healthy who knows
just how great his numbers would be at this stage of his career. Just devestating news.

I wonder if it makes sense at this rate to make him a DH, at least when he comes back this year.

He is also playing arguably the position requiring the greatest athleticism (CF), which as a supreme athlete he can handle, but maybe time to hang up his glove and just focus on the bat for the second half of his career. Who knows.

Here is hoping he heals quickly and comes back and goes on a hot streak with enough time to crack 30 HR and maybe 75 RBI?

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder if it makes sense at this rate to make him a DH, at least when he comes back this year.

He is also playing arguably the position requiring the greatest athleticism (CF), which as a supreme athlete he can handle, but maybe time to hang up his glove and just focus on the bay for the second half of his career. Who knows.

Here is hoping he heals quickly and comes back and goes on a hot streak with enough time to crack 30 HR and maybe 75 RBI?

I'm all for the Designated Hitter if it can keep him playing for 8 to 10 more years!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
It looks as though Trout is done for the year. Another disappointing injury ending season. During his first game back 3 days ago, he seems that Trout reinjured the hamate bone in his wrist. He's currently on the injured list. At 31 years old, he still has alot left in the tank if only he could stay healthy.
He was the GOAT for the first 6 years of his career, but sadly his career stats might not put him the Mantle, Mays, Cobb, Ruth class, unless he can stay healthy next year and 6 or so years he has left to put up big numbers.