mike alstott

white is right

Hall of Famer
Mike still has gas in his tank. I would love for him to return one more year. With the way he has run late in the season, even Massah Gruden would want him back.......

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The amazing thing to me about Alstott is that he has a career 3.8 yd/carry, when in almost all the years of his career he was used mostly in 3rd and short and Goaline. Even in his prime he wasn't used properly. The Bucs had bad QB's ie. Sean King, and the other team would know A-train was running...and he also ran without a FB b/c he was the FB! I think if the guy was in the right system he could have been a 5 yd/ carry guy in his prime.

And the amazing thing is Alstott at 30+ yrs. still appears to be the best RB on Tampa and the guy playing ahead of him happens to be a 5th pick in the NFL draft in '05! The guy is insanely good, and I'm gonna stop my chitchat right now and sign the petition!

backrow

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Mike still has gas in his tank. I would love for him to return one more year. With the way he has run late in the season, even Massah Gruden would want him back.......

i would love for Bucs to get a coach that believes in smash mouth football, and Alstott to stay another season, Gruden's treatment of him was a blessing in disguise, since he was kept pretty fresh last two seasons.
smiley2.gif

perfect scenario for me would be Gruden leaving, Alstott staying and TB drafting Brian Leonard as a 3rd down back. he could learn from A-Train and become a replacement for him. if Alstott retires i still hope that Bucs draft Leonard.

backrow

Hall of Famer
btw, Alstott has the same yard per carry average as Williams: 3.5 ... and that's a fullback mostly used on 3rd and short! i am glad he keeps his feet on the ground this season!
smiley4.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
this has been taken from Bucs official forums:

"But i'd have to agree to put Alstott at RB for the remander of the season. Did you hear what Ian Beckles said on the radio. He said before a game he was talking to Alstott, and he saw Gruden coming and said i gotta go if Gruden sees us talking he wont give you the ball. ( Beckles says Gruden hates him) and Alstott responds by saying, he doesn't give me the ball anyways don't worry about it"

smiley7.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I signed the petition, and I hope it actually will mean something. Mike knows the score with Gruden and is in a tough spot being a white FB.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Carnell Williams is questionable for Cleveland game!

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5585

"You'll see a little bit more of [Michael] Pittman and you'll see more of E.G. [Earnest Graham]," said Gruden. "And you'll see some more of Mike Alstott, that's for sure."

and for those who stil remember the last times Bucs played versus Browns:

10/13/2002 Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Bucs 17
Browns 3

FB Mike Alstott rushed for a season-high 126 yards and two touchdowns as Tampa Bay (5-1) equaled its best start in franchise history ...

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
Carnell Williams is questionable for Cleveland game!

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5585

"You'll see a little bit more of [Michael] Pittman and you'll see more of E.G. [Earnest Graham]," said Gruden. "And you'll see some more of Mike Alstott, that's for sure."

and for those who stil remember the last times Bucs played versus Browns:

10/13/2002 Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Bucs 17
Browns 3

FB Mike Alstott rushed for a season-high 126 yards and two touchdowns as Tampa Bay (5-1) equaled its best start in franchise history ...
The "Cadillac" needs an overhaul. After his rush out of the gate in his rookie season he has looked more like Chevy Nova than a Caddy. I think he is a little small and can't take the pounding of the NFL.

whiteCB

Master
I remember that game alstott had vs. the Browns. He was a beast to say the least, Browns palyers were pathetic in their attemtps to bring down the mighty A-train!

white is right said:
The "Cadillac" needs an overhaul. After his rush out of the gate in his rookie season he has looked more like Chevy Nova than a Caddy. I think he is a little small and can't take the pounding of the NFL.

Cadillac? He's more like a Ford Pinto or a Yugo.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man I hope Mike starts or at least gets 15 carries. I will be watching and taping that game for sure. What a cool note it would be if he got over 100 yards!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just checked the wire and "Vega" Williams has been downgraded from questionable to doubtful. It looks like the A-Train will be carrying the load several times more for sure!

backrow

Hall of Famer
ideally he could get 12-20 carries in both games that are left in the season: Browns because he's had success last time around plus Carnell Williams is out, and Seahawks because it might be his very last home game!

Give Mike the ball! (btw this online petition has over 3.5K signatures)

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I wish they'd line him up at Halfback for the last 2 games. Maybe I'm wrong on this idea though, b/c he is so used to running without a FB (b/c he is one) that it might actually work against him...any thoughts?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gruden start Mike Alstott??!!? I thinkJon Gruden wouldprefer toundergo several hours of waterboardingto featuringawhite running back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mikey did get 22 carries today, compared to Pittman's 16. I guess Gruden tried to show a slight trace of humanity knowing Alstott is near the end of the line. Just think if he had been a tailback for the past 10 years instead of spending so much time butting heads with linebackers and d-linemen. He, like Peyton Manning, may well have been re-writing the record book.

Kaptain

Master
I would have liked to see him get more carries on 2nd and 3rd down especially in the 2nd half. Nearly every time he carried the ball it was on 1st down - a much more obvious running down. BTW, I think Ron Dayne was rewarded for his great NFL career with more carries than Alstott yesterday. He didn't have to share his carries either.

Anyways, the result of playing Alstott was a win a for the Bucs. The last thing a defense wants is a big white RB running through their secondary. When Mike gets the ball the whole offense opens up. Tim Rattay had a rare good day and even Michael Pittman had an even more rare good day.

Would have been nice if he had gotten some carries in his last home game. The crowd would have loved it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
So chuckie gave Mike the ball for a Christmas present instead of the usual sweaty jock(football version of a lump of coal). What I want to know is if Mike is the second on the depth chart for touches after the Gremlin(Caddy), why hasn't he gotten more touches in the last few years? Also what sets was Mike getting the ball? Was he the lead back or in an Elephant backfield type setup?Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike has been the starting FB, but is not listed on the TB depth chart, which is 3 deep.

backrow

Hall of Famer
shows promise for his last game vs Seahawks, if he can get this ammount of carries, i would like to see him score at least once and break 100 yards in his last game at Ray Jay

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was disappointed in his 22 carry 56 yard performance, but I agree it is the way they are using him as a runner in more predictable run situations..Pittman should also be asked to put himself out there and throw some good blocks for Alstott the way Alstott does for him!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Mike didn't have a good game (8 minutes left in last quarter), 6 carries, 4 yards, lost a fumble, first since 2004 and dropped a pass... even so, the stadium full of people was booing Gruden for not letting Mike run it in from 4 yard line... he got one carry, 1 yard and after that Bucs had 3 incomplete passes and turned the ball over on downs...

it's a shame that Mike's sendoff is not fitting, but we will all remember him for who he was and the way he played.