Mike Alstott

backrow

Hall of Famer
i was happy to see Mike getting involved a lot more this week, and it sure helped Bucs to get their 6th win... i mean it begun to look like Mike will be demoted to what we are used to for a white FB: blocking back...

Tampa is 42-10 in games where Mike rushes for a score, that's a stat Gruden needs to keep in mind, i liked his statement about big number 40 on a post game conference:

(On Mike Alstott)
"We are going to try to keep him around here for years to come. I realize his role as a ball carrier has been reduced. That could change as the season unfolds. We are working hard to get the running game going. We have seen some very good defenses. I don't see teams running at-will, honestly, against the Carolina Panthers, the Redskins, some of the teams we have seen recently, but he is a premier pro football player and one that I am just proud to be associated with and we are going to try to get a lot more out of him in the next seven games."

111305_alstott01.jpg

do you guys thinkGruden will use him more and is it a possibility that Mike will be back for another year as a Buccaneer? give me your opinions
smiley1.gif

Kaptain

Master
Not sure, but I would love to see Alstott get the ball more and have a chance to have one of those incredible games that show his talent once again. Then people can ask "Why has he been blocking all those years?". He's the reason I stumbled onto caste football while doing a search trying to get that question answered.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well here are some news from TB Bucs website... seems like Gruden might actually live up to his word and give Mike more carries as a rb, with promoting Razzano to the active squad... i hope he does plan on using Mike as a ram with that rhino backfield, Razzano is the best blocking fullback on the team, and they could just wear Falcons out, Alstott always had good success running at them
smiley4.gif
and we could see white backfield in TB
smiley36.gif

Cook is a decent fullback but i really want Razz to stay on the roster as Mike's backup and leading blocker in power running game... go jumbo backfield Jon!Edited by: backrow

G

If Mr. Grimmace uses Mike, then some safeties and backers are going to
get hurt. Alstott will ram them up the middle and meet the
backers head on. Or Mike will turn the corner and bury the
corner, or safety. It's going to be great to see the bruthas
bounce off the Alpha male!!

robcat

Guru
Gruden will never let Alstott be the main runner, not even for a game. When Garner was injured a couple years ago Gruden said that Alstott was competing for the featured runner spot then brought in half a dozen blacks. All got a chance while Alstotts role was greatly reduced and has stayed that way. Gruden purged all the white receivers from Tampa. He is 100% a Caste System coach.

Also bear in mind that the Bucs didn't re-sign Lynch, who it was rumored was willing to take a pay cut just to stay on the team and be able to finish out his career on the Bucs and go out as a 100% Buccaneer!

Right now I just don't see Alstott as being utilized as anything more then a White Bettis, for usage only near the goal-line. However given that Alstott has been in the NFL alot of years (the average career length for an NFL RB is 3 years) this is probably the best role for him at this stage and hey if he has some more games like the last one where he racked up two touchdowns then that is awesome on the Stat sheet.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think he will try to wear Atlanta out with the run, especially power runner like Alstott who tends to be succesful against Atlanta run defense, and when it's all said and done, Gruden knows he has to win this game, and one of his main weapons is number 40...
so if it comes down to that he will have to give him the ball...

seems like NFL.com Adam Schefter agrees with me as well:

"GOOD HANDS WITH ALSTOTT
Through the first six games of the season, the Buccaneers were a ground force, averaging 142 rushing yards per game.

But in the past three, including Sunday's win over Washington, the Buccaneers have rushed for only 105 yards. Still, the Buccaneers did get a ground infusion Sunday from Mike Alstott, who had nine carries -- two fewer than he had during Tampa Bay's first eight games.

Alstott's biggest run came on the game-winning two-point conversion, and he provides more power than Cadillac Williams or Michael Pittman, who are more the slashing type running backs.

But look for a dose of Alstott down the stretch, as he got more carries in practice last week and again during Sunday's game." Edited by: backrow

Kaptain

Master
Alstott still looks as good as ever running the ball. Don't forget that John Riggins, another power RB, had his best years at the end of his 13 year career. Gruden probably will not let him be a feature back, but he should.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
Alstott still looks as good as ever running the ball. Don't forget that John Riggins, another power RB, had his best years at the end of his 13 year career. Gruden probably will not let him be a feature back, but he should.

i would be happy with 10-15 carries a game, plus some extra runs in 4th quarter provided Bucs are winning to run down the clock...
i am sure even Gruden is aware that Alstott hasnt really lost a step and that he is only 110 yards short of 5000 yard mark...
with 7 games to go i will be rooting for Mike to get enough carries to go over 5k milestone!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
But in the past three, including Sunday's win over Washington, the Buccaneers have rushed for only 105 yards.

There are lots of teams in the NFL that do not gain 105 yards rushing on the ground every game, so to say 'only' 105 yards is a bit misleading.

backrow

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
But in the past three, including Sunday's win over Washington, the Buccaneers have rushed for only 105 yards.

There are lots of teams in the NFL that do not gain 105 yards rushing on the ground every game, so to say 'only' 105 yards is a bit misleading.
i think what he meant in the article was that over last three games span Bucs only had 105 rushing yards total, 34 per game

. Don't forget that John Riggins, another power RB, had his best years at the end of his 13 year career.

That is True and Alstott certainly is not your average back so I would not be surprised if he was capable of putting up some good numbers still and it sounds like they are planning to use him against the Falcons now!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Mike had 8 yards on 4 carries with the longest of 6 and another touchdown and even though Vick did play well especially for who he is
smiley11.gif
Bucs still won!!!

backrow

Hall of Famer
he has scored at least once in the last three games, first such a streak since 1997 (!) especially since he adopted more of an airborne style of goal line running
smiley17.gif
he is on pace for 7-8 TDs but it doesnt look like he can get 110 yards that he needs to break 5k... i really hope he does that this season, or comes back next season to achieve that mark!

EDIT: he needs 102 yards to break 5k! go Mike, 6 games= 20.4 yards per game
smiley17.gif
Edited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
Alstott after scoring vs Bears has 5 rushing TDs in 4 last games (6 this season), got 5 touches last Sunday and Simms looked his way couple more times but either the ball was batted away or Simms was unable to complete...

112705_alstott41.jpg

A-Train looks as good as ever breaking tackles and soaring over defenders to score!

94 yards to go to 5000 rush yards... 5 games left... it will take either one huge game (not likely) or more rushes per game than he gets now... needs 20 yards per game... all this won't even matter if Mike decides not to retire, he is likely to get over 5k yards mark next yearEdited by: backrow

backrow

Hall of Famer
how about Theissman accidently noting that Mike has 5 rushing TDs this season (he has 6)... they did give him massive props for being a VERY tough runner etcEdited by: backrow

Kaptain

Master
Him not being allowed to run the ball much is the most disgusting example of the nfl caste football system. That's why I chose him for my avatar. He has already had a great run (I thing about ten yards) and caught a short pass and as he always does broke a tackle to gain extra yards.
OOPs then Carnival Williams fumbles to put them two touchdowns down. But Carnival did have three good games in September/October. Alstott probably won't touch the ball again. Edited by: Kaptain Poop

backrow

Hall of Famer
no, he will get a ball but still, it will be very dependable on the situation of field, and very limited...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You guys are confusing me with your avatars. I thought it was three messages in a row by backrow, who seemed to be carrying on a conversation with himself.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mike ended the day, and most likely his career, with 4 carries and 15 yards, and a 7 yard catch. For his career, he has 4,932 yards rushing and 55 TD's. He also has 2,206 yards receiving and 13 TD's. Here's to a great career considering the wretched circumstances he played under.
smiley32.gif

white tornado

Mentor
Than run by the goal line was sweet Mike knocked tha db out.

backrow

Hall of Famer
white tornado said:
Than run by the goal line was sweet Mike knocked tha db out.

yes it was...

part of me wants him to come back and be a Buc and maybe, just maybe he will get a ball and some shots at the endzone (this season he could've had 10 TDs easily, if it wasn't for penalties and/or weird calls by Gruden...) and part of me wants him to go somewhere else for his final season(s)... team that would let him be a secondary back at least, 4th quarter/short yardage/tough gain kinda guy, like he always used to be!

TPS118010720_1024x768.jpg
Edited by: backrow

white tornado

Mentor
By the way people used to call me Alstott becauseI was a big white fullback.

backrow

Hall of Famer
white tornado said:
By the way people used to call me Alstott because I was a big white fullback.

smiley17.gif
let's just say that only 2 jerseys that i own are Alstott's... will be buying Rudd as well next season