Michelle Wie -Men’s Tour

Bart

Hall of Famer
Does anyone have an opinion of women being allowed to play on the men's tour? I feel sorry for the marginal male player who because of age or skill is barely able toto makea buck. Wie will be able to make zillions of bucks on the Ladies Tour and will have loads of endorsements thrown her way. As in tennis, we will find that the best females will barely beat the worst of the men. So what! If I were a struggling golfer with a family to feed , I would want to be able to play on the ladies tour. To hell with pride. If it's great to break down barriers, then let the men storm the walls of the ladies only competitions.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I agree. It's getting old. A couple of woman have competed and it was different so the advertisers make a buck. It's a free market so the people who run the tournaments should be able to do things to their advantage but when will enough be enough?

surfsider

Guru
I can't get too worked up about the issue but it does seem to be just a gimmicky attention getter. I think that people will tire of the novelty especially as Bart's scenario plays out. Also, if the best women are routinely beaten by mediocre men, the women's game will seem diminished and that is no good for anyone. The women's tour would take on the taint of seeming like a minor league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't care that much either, but you know Wie-mania is gonna reach absurd heights as soon as she either wins on the women's tour or is competitive in a men's event. Not as much as it would be if she were black, but a lot more than a white girl would get. Just compare Wie's hype to that of Paula Creamer, who won a LPGA event recently while still in high school. That barely registered a blip on the media radar screen.

G

Bart said:
Does anyone have an opinion of women being allowed to play on the men's tour? I feel sorry for the marginal male player who because of age or skill is barely able toto makea buck. Wie will be able to make zillions of bucks on the Ladies Tour and will have loads of endorsements thrown her way. As in tennis, we will find that the best females will barely beat the worst of the men. So what! If I were a struggling golfer with a family to feed , I would want to be able to play on the ladies tour. To hell with pride. If it's great to break down barriers, then let the men storm the walls of the ladies only competitions.
The differnece between a woman competing against a man and vice versa .

Is that a woman is seen as competing against players who have physical advantages over her

While a man who competed against women would be seen as a bully who picks on those weaker then him because he cant cut it against the big boys. Not to mention the ridicule he would endure.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Paul Creamer is crushinga big-timefield at the Evian Masters in France, including Annika Sorenstam. This girl was in high school two months ago, has already won a tournament and was fourth on the LPGA money list going into this tournament, but gets about 1/50th of the hype that Michelle Wie does.

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/golf/07/22/evian.maste rs/index.html[/url]

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Oh poor Michelle 15 strokes back, fired her caddie and now has Daddy back on her bag. Maybe she should play against the men, I think the women are too tough!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Michelle Wie is turning pro right around the time of her 16th birthday on October 11th and will instantly become the highest paid female golfer in the world thanks to corporate endorsement money. She will be earning more money than Annika Sorenstam before she ever swings a club as a pro. Did anyone expect anything else? Oh, to be young, talented and non-white. The female branch of Tigermaniais about to really be cranked up bythe mediapropaganda machine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2167196

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a telling paragraph from an ESPN.com article on Wie:

"In the past seven years, [Annika] Sorenstam has won 63 events and has been the LPGA Tour's Player of the Year in all of those seasons. Her stats and accomplishments compare favorably with Tiger Woods', but the endorsement money is only a small percentage. Sorenstam has deals with Callaway, Cutter & Buck, Mercedes, Kraft, Rolex, Oakley and ADT, among others. But she rakes in only about $6 million per year because she doesn't have that it factor that will help sway the masses about their purchasing decision. Wie might have what Sorenstam is missing. Wood said that Nike is well aware of the youngster's charismatic personality."

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2181413

The point here is not to cry for Sorenstam and her $6 mil per in endorsements. What's pertinent is the claim that she lacks the "it factor" and a "charismatic personality" that Wie and Tiger Woods (and almost all black athletes) come by naturally.

It's clear that the Caste System believes whites are genetically incapable of having these very subjective qualities.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I would say Paula Creamer hasa lot more of the -IT-factor than Wie doesand is a better golfer to boot.

CreamerRookieBlogMain3.jpg
6c16714440c22cdc91ea50baeb328de0.jpg

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what to think about the fact we're discussing how charismatic a 15 year old girl is.
smiley5.gif
The whole media love affair with Wie is almost kinda creepy, if you ask me.

What is written: "But [Annika Sorenstam] rakes in only about $6 million per year because she doesn't have that it factor that will help sway the masses about their purchasing decision."

What it means: "She's White." Here's a question: Do Paula Creamer and Natalie Gulbis have the IT factor? Of course not! According to Big Media, being gorgeous, talented, and White are disadvantages.

Wie just signed endorsement deals with Nike and Sony that will pay her $10 million per year. It's great to be non-White in Amerika today!

White Shogun writes: "The whole media love affair with Wie is almost kinda creepy, if you ask me." I agree. It's similar to the media's obsession with 13-year-old Olympic gymnasts in unitards.