mets

Tom Iron

Mentor
The muts picked up that guy Santana from the Twins. Just another spanish guy. They'll give him all sorts of money and won't live up to the hype.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he has arguably beenthe best pitcher the pastfew seasons. He'll sign for some record-breaking amount of dough. Makes good sense from the Mets perspective since they are already pretty much a non-white team. At least the Twins signed Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer to long-term deals and let Santana and Torri Hunter go. Edited by: Don Wassall

Tom Iron

Mentor
It must really stick in their craw that the best ballplayer on the team is David Wright.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize how badly Santana slipped last year, losing 7 of his last 11 decisions and allowing the most home runs of any AL pitcher. He's also just 1-3 in the playoffs with a 3.97 ERA. The Mets just signed him to a record deal for a pitcher; will Santana be the next black baseball star who flames out prematurely?

Anytime you give a pitcher more than a 4 year contract he will break down. I hope he isn't a bust either. It's the National League so his numbers should be better and he's in a pitcher's park. Santana is the least my concerns in terms of the caste system. He truely is one of the best arms in the game and the Mets needed him. We could of gotten Bedard and Roberts in a fell swoop if we tried hard enough but this is a great pickup. This still makes them a probable playoff team but a world series not likely.

But the Mets still have a streaky bullpen, need another starter and need another power threat to go with Wright and Beltran(Delgado and Alou don't cut it). Church looks like he'll get the RF and I wouldn't be shocked if he had a breakout year.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Santana has excellent stuff and has been a top-flight pitcher for some time now. However,for any GM to commit so much money to a pitcher should get the GM committed. (Where are theynow-Mike Hampton and Barry Zito? Where will they be in another 2-3 years? Hampton will beretired and Zito will be scuffling along and "earning" his money)

Yes, Santana ismore a power pitcher than Hampton and Zito, but there are simply too many uncertainties with apitcher`s health to commit so much of your resources to one like this contract. Let`s see if he can even get through half ofthis contract without a major breakdown.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Being a White Sox fan I'm happy he's out of the Central Division. They only beat him like once every year so that was like 3 or 4 wins against them alone. Konerko especially had a hard time against him.