Media admits bias against White TB

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Check out this article about the third RB switch for Auburn. Pay close attention to the fourth paragraph from the bottom. Can there be any doubt that was how we knew they (the media) felt about Tre Smith? Nope.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/051012/tiger s.shtmlEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey Colonel, can you post the txt? the link is dead.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
TIGERS TURN TO LESTER AT TAILBACK

By Bradley Handwerger
DAILY Sports Writer
bhandwerger@decaturdaily.com · 340-2462

AUBURN â€â€￾ For the third time in six games, Auburn will have a new starting tailback.

When Auburn (4-1, 2-0 Southeastern Conference) plays at Arkansas (2-3, 0-2) on Saturday at 6 p.m., the Tigers will turn to Brad Lester â€â€￾ the Auburn back who has done the most lately.

Lester, who averages a touchdown every 9.2 carries and has a 6.7-yard-per-carry average, led the team with 52 yards in the Tigers' last game Oct. 1 against South Carolina.

That earned Lester the chance over Kenny Irons, who started the last three games and picked up only 27 yards on 11 carries against the Game*******s.

"He's gotten a lot of touchdowns in the few times he's touched the ball," Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He's going to be an exciting player for us."

During the team's off-week last week, Lester began scrimmaging with the first-team offense. However, he didn't find out he had the starting job until assistant coach Eddie Gran, who oversees Auburn's running backs, delivered the news.

"As I was walking on the practice field, he pulled me to the side and he said he was going to give me the chance to compete for the No. 1 back until someone takes it from me," Lester said.

For what it's worth, Irons said he isn't the least bit upset with the decision.

"I like to see that," said Irons, who has a close friendship with Lester. "Me and Brad, we're always one and two, two and one to begin with. We're two great backs. We're a threat either way, no matter if he's coming off the bench, or I'm coming off the bench."

Lester said the only difference between this week and the South Carolina game, where he carried the ball 13 times and Irons ran 11 times, is the asterisk by who's starting.

"We've got to work together," Lester said. "Even though I'm the No. 1 back right now, we'll probably get the same amount of carries. I don't think it's going to be that much of a difference other than who's starting."

Irons said the situation reminds him of last season with Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown.

"Carnell, he'd come out, and Ronnie would get the playing time," Irons said. "It's no problem."

Tuberville agreed.

"One being the starter over the other doesn't make a lot of difference, as we saw with Ronnie and Carnell," he said.

Even so, the media darling heading into the 2005 season was Irons â€â€￾ not the unheralded Lester and certainly not fan-favorite Tre Smith.

Irons impressed anyone who watched Auburn's fall drills. He spun, slipped and all but tight-roped his way for positive yards throughout camp. But he couldn't pick up blocking schemes.

So Smith started against Georgia Tech and Mississippi State to begin the season. He never broke out as expected, rushing for 55 yards against Georgia Tech and gaining only 7 yards on five carries against Mississippi State.

Irons took over in the third game and delivered, rushing for more than 100 yards in two straight contests. He seemed to claim ownership of the position ... until now.

[url]http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/sports/051012/tiger s.shtml[/url]

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
they should promote more stories such as this one:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thes tar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1128462611539&call_pa geid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278

(why are some of these URLs so freaking long?) anyway, the kid is a combination of the next Jesse Lumsden and Isaac Newton!
smiley32.gif
here's a sample of the article...

Trinity back carries ball in field of science
Teen developed screening system for better diagnosis of breast cancer
DAVID GROSSMAN
SPORTS REPORTER

High school football player Chet Gervais says he always gets flustered when people refer to him as an emerging scientist.

Only 17 years old, Gervais has garnered a significant amount of attention because of his outstanding athletic ability as a tailback with Port Hope's Trinity College Bears.

Since transferring to the private school from Sandwich Secondary in the Windsor bedroom community of LaSalle, he has been compared to former Hec Crighton Trophy winner Jesse Lumsden â€â€￾ now a Hamilton Tiger-Cat. Lumsden put up impressive numbers when he spent a year at Trinity.

In only four games this season, Gervais has piled up 495 yards rushing and scored five touchdowns.

But Gervais has people talking about him for reasons that go beyond the gridiron.

He has won almost $10,000 and received international recognition at science fairs for an invention that he believes will one day be able to improve the diagnosis and eventual treatment of breast cancer.

He also has a patent pending on his design.

"I wanted to get involved, I kept hearing about problems and the range of error in diagnosis being so bad," he said. "I enjoy science and discovering new innovations.

"But I wish I had only come up with this much sooner â€â€￾ especially since the aunt of a player on my football team had died from breast cancer and the friend of a family member has been diagnosed with it, too."

Last year, Gervais won the top medical prize at the world's largest science exhibition in Phoenix, Ariz.

I looked up Gervais on the net - the kid is amazingly intelligent, his
project is stunning for someone his age. And he has athletic talent to
boot. This darn white kid isn't following the program!
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Colonel Callan