Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 45.17 and 8.25 LJ

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling will be tested early, as he is in the same heat as Fahnbulleh in both the 100m and the 200m. if i read the start lists correctly, their 100m heat is easily the fastest grouping of the day.

All 3 Heats are tough but this one is nuts. Boling has to face both Fahnbulleh and the fastest 100 meters sprinter in all of the NCAA in Micah Williams who has run a 9.86 wind legal. Only the top 2 sprinters automatically advance. Then out of the 3 heats it's
the 3 fastest times combined to also advance. Matthew Boling has to be in top form and he must execute every phase to perfection just to make the finals. This is one race he has to nail the start to have a chance. It's gonna be exciting! Let's hope for the best! :)

2022 NCAA National Championships (Mens 100 meters semifinal heat 1)

Sem Ln Athlete SB Rank PB
1 2
BAY.png
Isaiah CUNNINGHAM
Baylor [SR] 9.97w 7 10.19
1 3
UGA.png
Matthew BOLING
Georgia [SO] 9.98 5 9.98
1 4
TTU.png
Terrence JONES
Texas Tech [SO] 10.03 11 10.03
1 5
UO.png
Micah WILLIAMS
Oregon [SO] 9.83w 2 9.86
1 6
UF.png
Joseph FAHNBULLEH
Florida [SO] 10.03 11 10.03
1 7
UH.png
Edward SUMLER IV
Houston [JR] 10.04w 14 10.08
1 8
COPP.png
Joseph MANU
Coppin State [SR] 10.12 29 10.12
1 9
OHST.png
Eric HARRISON
Ohio State [SR] 10.02w 8 10.16

sprintstar

Mentor
Boling makes it through on time(8th) but man his start was terrible and he tighten up visibly from 60m on. Lucky.... Ashe definitely FS but he is will get through because well like he is not white.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling didn't look too good. He just qualified in 10.18

Yes Boling looked tight and nervous. It seemed like the Boling from last season. Well luckily he made it through but he will draw a horrible lane with gives him just about 0 chance to win or make the top 3. He only
has himself to blame. Matthew Boling would have to have the race of his life in a horrible lane in the finals and it's probably not gonna happen. Very sad but at least he made the NCAA National Championships 100 meters
Finals 2 years in a row. You have to look at the positive and forget the negative. Maybe he shocks the world on Friday Night.

Hopefully his 200 meters coming up in about 30 minutes will be better. I want to see a 20.00 to 20.10 and he should be in the top 2. Then Friday night go all out in both the 100 and the 200 meters!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I have to agree that this looks like the Boling from last season. Too tight and a bit sluggish - over raced and over tired again??
Don't know for sure. But it seems he peaked 3 weeks too early.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well it was a little better despite the time. Boling finished in 2nd in the 200 meters to qualify for the finals running a time of 20.24 -0.1 wind. Not sure what the deal is but again he looked tight
and stressed. The harder you try in sprinting and the more you slow down. Relaxed is the key to speed. He knows this and while he has improved this season with a sub 10 and sub 20 he still has
alot of work to do. The key is that he made the finals in both the 100 & 200 meters. It would have been devastating to him if he wouldn't have qualified. He easily made in the 200 meters which is
his better event. I excpect him to focus even more next year on the short sprints. He has to get to where he never thinks when he sprints. It has to be as natural as chewing gum while walking. When
you overthink your form it tends to effect your performance.

For example I don't see Abby Steiner do this. She is as relaxed as they come. Boling will have to keep working on it! Let's hope he suprises everyone on Friday as the haters will be out in force after todays performance.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I know everyone is hard on Boling but at the end of the day he is a 21 year old kid. About to be 22 on later this month in June. Mathew Boling went sub 10 and sub 20 wind legal yet many expect and want more! Yes I and many of us want more and
it will come but we need to be patient. What he has achieved is nothing short of amazing so far. The kid is a star and will get it all sorted out. We as fans must remain patient. Here is a interview with him after he took 2nd in the NCAA 200 Meter
Finals at the National Champiosnships. So he is the 2nd fastest 200 meters sprinter outdoors after being the fastest 200 meter sprinter in the nation indoors in 2021. I for one am very proud of what he has done and he is only just getting started! Just watch! :)

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
he’s VERY humble. i wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah man, for him to get a 2nd place in the NCAA championships when he not at his best is pretty f''kin awesome. And he still has two more years of college after this.

sprintstar

Mentor
Yah he did some brilliant things this year no doubt about it. He will have an amazing career.

From his comments it would seem he is going back for another year at Georgia, respects his coach immensely, is alot smarter than he puts on and takes track with humour. I really wish reporters would give sprinters more than 30 seconds after a race to talk to them, this will give non sprinters a very good idea of what it is like after a full out 200m sprint, literally gasping for air, spit still flying and insides screaming for water, all this and they have to answer questions, think and talk whilst gasping and heart pounding.....kids a trooper.

He subtly admitted indoors took it's toll on him for outdoors.

My advice to him would be cut back on indoor events next year with focus on outdoors and most importantly do well in the classroom.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yeah man, for him to get a 2nd place in the NCAA championships when he not at his best is pretty f''kin awesome. And he still has two more years of college after this.
If he was fresh he and Fahnbulleh would have been neck and neck in the final and he would have had a new pr.

PS Fhanbulleh almost seems like a sandbagger at this point as he finished 5th in the Olympic final in the 200m dash. You would think he could secure a decent pro deal that would make any NIL deal paltry in comparison. I also haven't heard of him going for his PHD in physics.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling is a great kid and a likeable guy. We shouldn't heap too much expectation on him. It's clear he's not going to be the next Usain Bolt. If he works hard and things fall in place, he may make the 4x100 Olympic relay team. Honestly it would be great to see a white guy lining up for the US in an Olympic relay final.

Your funny how you talk down about a guy who went sub 10 and sub 20 wind legal as a 21 year old. Here is how Usain Bolt did back in 2007 for comparisson. Come here and talk positive or why are you here? We get so many trolls. I'm not saying Boling will do what Bolt did but he is up there with the all time greats at this point of his career. If your a true fan be patient and stay positive!

Usain Bolt 2007

Outdoor
Discipline Performance Wind Place Date Records Results Score
100 Metres 10.03 +0.7 Rethymno (GRE) 18 JUL 2007
200 Metres 19.75 +0.2 Kingston (JAM) 24 JUN 2007
400 Metres 45.28
National Stadium, Kingston (JAM) 05 MAY 2007
4x100 Metres Relay 37.89
Yanmar Stadium Nagai, Osaka (JPN) 01 SEP 2007

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Micah Williams was the favorite to win the 100 and he finished 7th. I guess he will never be good either. Your analysis is very weak!

No we are not just happy with a spot in the finals. Most of us here think differently than you. If I remember right you posted a few months ago and said Boling would never go sub 10 or sub 20. He has already done it. Every sprinter
progresses at their own pace. Every human is different. For you to say that Boling will never run faster in the 100 is comical. He isn't even 22 yet you think this is the best he will ever do. What a joke. No disrespect but your knowledge
of track lacks alot to be desired. I've followed track worldwide for 3 or 4 decades and Boling is just getting started. He will go sub 9.90 and at some point sub 9.80! The kid can win olympic medals but you say he can't. I guess we should
just give up on watching him. Just like the haters on youtube in the comment section calling him the great white hype. Hate away but it's not gonna stop the kid. Pressure is what makes champions. Strive to be the best or not. Boling does
not just want to win ncaa championships which he has already done indoors. He wants to win olympic and world champs. The kid is building towards something greater but you just can't see the potential. Comical.

Chips

Micah Williams was the favorite to win the 100 and he finished 7th. I guess he will never be good either. Your analysis is very weak!

No we are not just happy with a spot in the finals. Most of us here think differently than you. If I remember right you posted a few months ago and said Boling would never go sub 10 or sub 20. He has already done it. Every sprinter
progresses at their own pace. Every human is different. For you to say that Boling will never run faster in the 100 is comical. He isn't even 22 yet you think this is the best he will ever do. What a joke. No disrespect but your knowledge
of track lacks alot to be desired. I've followed track worldwide for 3 or 4 decades and Boling is just getting started. He will go sub 9.90 and at some point sub 9.80! The kid can win olympic medals but you say he can't. I guess we should
just give up on watching him. Just like the haters on youtube in the comment section calling him the great white hype. Hate away but it's not gonna stop the kid. Pressure is what makes champions. Strive to be the best or not. Boling does
not just want to win ncaa championships which he has already done indoors. He wants to win olympic and world champs. The kid is building towards something greater but you just can't see the potential. Comical.

I didn't say Boling would never go sub-10 or sub-20. As I said, he's a hell of an athlete. But let's be honest, the real phenomenon with X-factor to come out of this meet is Fahnbulleh. His closing speed is like Lemaitre at his best.

Now christophe was a real tragedy. He could have gone sub-9.8/19.6 if his heart had been in it. But that's a different story. The point is that Boling is fast but doesn't have that "holy ****!" X-Factor that makes you jump off your seat like with Fahnbulleh, LeMaitre, Bolt, as they come tearing through the field.

grandmaster

Boling's strongest events, strongest-to-weakest:
200m (66th all-time)
100m (130th all-time)
Long jump (827th all-time)
400m (1458th all-time)

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
I didn't say Boling would never go sub-10 or sub-20. As I said, he's a hell of an athlete. But let's be honest, the real phenomenon with X-factor to come out of this meet is Fahnbulleh. His closing speed is like Lemaitre at his best.
Now christophe was a real tragedy. He could have gone sub-9.8/19.6 if his heart had been in it. But that's a different story. The point is that Boling is fast but doesn't have that "holy ****!" X-Factor that makes you jump off your seat like with Fahnbulleh, LeMaitre, Bolt, as they come tearing through the field.

I tend to agree. I expect him to do better (why is this lack of late season form still happening?) but I have no illusions he'll be a world champion in the 100. And in the 200 he might run "Guliyev, Lemaitre" fast which is great. I just don't see 19.80 winning major championships now like they used to.
I still love to see him as someone who can truly compete well against the best - but his inconsistency worries me

mastermulti

Master
Boling's strongest events, strongest-to-weakest:
200m (60th all-time)
100m (127th all-time)
Long jump (816th all-time)
400m (1435th all-time)

sure, point taken. But out of all above him on each list (and the majority are only slightly so), how would they fare if we put up all their bests in these events. There's no denying he's a very gifted overall athlete - but he'd better pick his best event or two and put all his eggs in that basket.
I don't think his 100s will ever be super top shelf if he can't stay consistent and sharp in his starts and relaxed under pressure.
I can't really trot out his age as an excuse anymore. Look at 18 year old Erriyon Knighton's progress

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So I checked and here it is from WorldAthletics.org Despite this horrible season Boling is still tied for the 3rd fastest american sprinter college or professional as of today over 100 meters. Here is the list.

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/toplists/sprints/100-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2022?regionType=area&region=north and central america&timing=electronic&windReading=regular&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true

Then in the whole world he is still the 10th fastest. So if he isn't special then I guess the majority of sprinters around the world should just give up track forever. I know what I see and the kid is a legitimate superstar and he will run faster
than Lemaitre, Guliyev and countless others over the next 5 or 6 years. You can hold me to that as I will be here as long as I'm still breathing. Boling will go faster then Lemaitre's 9.92 and his 19.80! Boling will work and train as hard as it
takes. I love Christophe Lemaitre but he never had the desire to be the best that Boling does!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I will add more evidence even though I don't need any in my honest opinion. Boling peaked in April to May. Both his coach and Boling didn't time his peak fitness right. It's ok. It happens and it's not the end of the world. He will
be back. Look at some of his races in March, April and May. I wouldn't say they were horrible by any means. Back to the drawing board and that's what separates the men from the boys.

25 MAR 2022 FSU Relays, Florida State University - Mike Long Track, Tallahassee, FL USA F F1 1. 10.03 1196 +1.9
16 APR 2022 Tom Jones Memorial Invitational, Percy Beard Track, Gainesville, FL USA F F1 1. 9.98 1213 +1.6
30 APR 2022 Torrin Lawrence Memorial, Spec Towns Track, Athens, GA USA F F1 1. 10.05 1189 +0.1
14 MAY 2022 Southeastern Conference Ch., Ole Miss T&F Complex, Oxford, MS USA F F 4. 10.13 1162 +0.6
25 MAY 2022 NCAA East Preliminary Round, Billy Hayes T& F Complex, Bloomington, IN USA F PR1 1. 10.09 1176 +1.2

AC55

So I checked and here it is from WorldAthletics.org Despite this horrible season Boling is still tied for the 3rd fastest american sprinter as of today over 100 meters. Here is the list.

https://www.worldathletics.org/records/toplists/sprints/100-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2022?regionType=area&region=north and central america&timing=electronic&windReading=regular&page=1&bestResultsOnly=true

Then in the whole world he is still the 10th fastest. So if he isn't special then I guess the majority of sprinters around the world should just give up track forever. I know what I see and the kid is a legitimate superstar and he will run faster
than Lemaitre, Guliyev and countless others over the next 5 or 6 years. You can hold me to that as I will be here as long as I'm still breathing. Boling will go faster then Lemaitre's 9.92 and his 19.80! Boling will work and train as hard as it
takes. I love Christophe Lemaitre but he never had the desire to be the best that Boling does!
I hope you're right, but no other white man has had the raw natural speed of Lemaitre.

sprintstar

Mentor
If I was coaching Boling next year I would have him focus strictly on the 200m and 400m indoors, eliminate the 60m. I would also limit the amount of meets he participates in during indoor season. When it came to outdoors I would eliminate the 4x400m relays and the long jump. Focus soley on the 100/200m maybe even eliminate the 4x100m relays. He doesn't need to earn points for his school by running himself into the ground because he is the best sprinter they have....period.

I think he will eventually go sub 9.85 100m and sub 19.80 200m....with the right coaching....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's funny how no one on youtube or the track message boards anywhere is knocking Micah Williams(favorite) who finished in( 7th place),D. Fleming(8th place) or Shawn Maswangani(9th Place). Gee I wonder why? Maybe because they
are african american sprinters who can do no wrong. This isn't a knock on either of them. They are both very, very talented and one if not both will be a pro someday in the future. It's called a few bad races. It's also
called mistiming your peak physical condition. The same thing that happened to Boling. People are not fair at all in the way Boling is treated. There are videos on youtube about him being the most hated sprinter
in all of the NCAA. Why is that? We all know why and I don't even have to say it. Let's just say it's not because he isn't super consistant YET? It's for one reason and one reason only. The color of his skin in this anti
white world we live in. It wasn't always this way but the anti white hatred among many has never been higher. They don't want to see a white guy being the fastest collegiate sprinter.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
If I was coaching Boling next year I would have him focus strictly on the 200m and 400m indoors, eliminate the 60m. I would also limit the amount of meets he participates in during indoor season. When it came to outdoors I would eliminate the 4x400m relays and the long jump. Focus soley on the 100/200m maybe even eliminate the 4x100m relays. He doesn't need to earn points for his school by running himself into the ground because he is the best sprinter they have....period.

I think he will eventually go sub 9.85 100m and sub 19.80 200m....with the right coaching....
I see something similar but if he could get his legs back he could make the US team right now in the 200m event as the team has 4 spots open as Lyles is the world champion and has an automatic spot in the championship.

I think Boling needs to go over his future with an objective coach and financial analyst. If he was to have better results out of school with pro coaching and sign a decent pro contract with a big shoe company he shouldn't return to Georgia as the college points system seems to be running him down.

He may have problems signing a decent contract with only making a national team in the 200m dash as I recall years ago John Capel won the world title and tried to turn pro in the NFL and was willing to be on the practice squad of the Bears until he tested positive for pot and was cut. As the possible troll stated the 100m dash is the money event in sprinting and the 200m dash is the equivalent of the cruiserweight division of track and field. This could explain why Fahnbulleh didn't turn pro after placing 5th in the Olympics.