Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 45.17 and 8.25 LJ

sprintstar

Mentor
the 200 time is better overall than the 100m time but overall not too bad for early races in the outdoor season...

mastermulti

Master
not bad openers at all, especially the 200m. I know people here want him to be the greatest 100m sprinter but I really believe his 200 will always be his strongest event as it was with Kenteris, Guliyev, Lemaitre.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling will be running the 100m at the Mt Sac Relays this weekend.
He will have some very serious competition with Michael Norman, Christian Coleman, Kyree King, Micah Williams, and others in the race.
This is a good (and important) test for Boling. He'll need way better than the 10.25 he opened his season with.
Let's see if he can rise to the occasion and run with some big name sprinters.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Boling will be running the 100m at the Mt Sac Relays this weekend.
He will have some very serious competition with Michael Norman, Christian Coleman, Kyree King, Micah Williams, and others in the race.
This is a good (and important) test for Boling. He'll need way better than the 10.25 he opened his season with.
Let's see if he can rise to the occasion and run with some big name sprinters.
I will predict a 10.05 to 10.10 time! I'm just very happy to see him doing the 100 meters! The 100 and 200 meters are where
he belongs despite his talent over 400 meters. Look at Kerly. He knows where the big money and fame is!

sprintstar

Mentor
Michael Norman is a legit sprinter(clean) Kyree King is a fringe sprinter, Micah Williams is legit fast, Coleman is just a drug cheat...

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Boling runs the 200m in an hour.
I hope he performs a lot better there than he did in the 100m.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't feel so bad that I missed this meet now. I think I know why Boling was so slow the last 2 weeks. His coach is attempting the same
philosophy she did the entire indoor season. If you remember Boling lost race after race. Only towards the very end of the season did she
ramp up his training to get him in better shape. The kid is not in top sprinting shape or form. It's a risky bet but it paid off indoors. I think it
might be worth the effort as all that matters is the races in May, June and July. These races while nice are meaningless. Everyone will write
the kid off like they did indoors and then he went out and won his 2nd NCAA Indoor 200 Meters National Championship Gold Medal.

I just hope his coach will have him ready next month and this summer. Don't expect much in April but then WATCH OUT come May & this summer!

Last edited:

sprintstar

Mentor
Watched his 200m and his block stance is not so good, his trail leg is in my opinion too far back. In the heat before his Zack Shinnick won his heat in 20.58 I believe....havent heard much of him in the past few years....

Texas Flash

I don't feel so bad that I missed this meet now. I think I know why Boling was so slow the last 2 weeks. His coach is attempting the same
philosophy she did the entire indoor season. If you remember Boling lost race after race. Only towards the very end of the season did she
ramp up his training to get him in better shape. The kid is not in top sprinting shape or form. It's a risky bet but it paid off indoors. I think it
might be worth the effort as all that matters is the races in May, June and July. These races while nice are meaningless. Everyone will write
the kid off like they did indoors and then he went out and won his 2nd NCAA Indoor 200 Meters National Championship Gold Medal.

I just hope his coach will have him ready next month and this summer. Don't expect much in April but then WATCH OUT come May & this summer!
I would agree - he is not in "top sprinting" shape. He's probably in phenomenal condition right now and my guess is he is not doing any speed work with exception of the meets themselves. it is a bit risky as you are playing with the confidences of very young people and I'm a bit concerned about racing fatigue, but he could definitely be ready by the time it matters most if they are being smart about this all.

Just for the record, over a 16 day period to open the outdoor season up Boling has raced in10 races! Four at Texas Relays (Sprit Medley, 4x100, 4x200, 4x400), Torrin Lawrence Invitational (100m, 200m, 4x100m), Mt Sac (100m, 200m 4x400m). The only way that works is if you are training through those meets.

sprintstar

Mentor
this early in the outdoor season he has had far too much of a workload with all those races......period. If I were his parent I would talk to him about going pro as soon as the college season is done..... He has nothing to prove for the outdoor college season....he needs to focus on his future..now!

sprintstar

Mentor
his split in the 4x400m relay was 44.70........... looking more and more like the 400m make be his niche.....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matthew Boling will be running at the Georgia Tech Meet this Friday and Saturday. Part of me wishes he took a week off as they are
racing him way too much just like in previous years. I understand the urgency though as his times have been average at best so far
outdoors outside of the relays. They want to get the kid his confidence back. Let's hope it starts tommorow in the 100 meters.

I agree with many here that overall his coaching the last couple of years has had more lows than highs. Not happy with how she has
coached the kid. I will miss seeing him run in college but it's time for him to go pro. Who he picks as his next coach professionally will
be huge as to how far he can go in track. Look at how Abby Steiner was coached and compare it to how Boling has been coached? For
those of you that think a good coach doesn't make a difference you couldn't be more wrong. The best talent should be coached by the
the best coach's. I just hope tommorow and Satuday we see some fast times to shut up all of his critics especially on youtube.

Phall

Master
@sprintstar @white lightning

American college sports have historically held limitations on student-athletes regarding when and how often they can practice under supervision, how they're compensated, and what their coursework commitments (actual school) entail. However, I assume this picture is much different now. The current NIL arrangement seems to me that Boling can sign any endorsement deals he wants. With the advent of ubiquitous online classes during covid lockdowns, students have more flexibility than ever in managing their time. College athletes already had the schoolwork side of things made easy for them.

I don't have any insight about high-level track practices. NCAA football teams cannot hold supervised practices (where members of staff oversee) past a set amount of hours deemed to be reasonable during the season, with a lesser amount of hours during the offseason. Players can still camp out in the weight room, use fields and equipment to practice on their own, and meet with coaches informally. I assume NCAA track would share this basic template.

Assuming this, what is the disadvantage (specific or general) of Boling running in college rather than the pro circuit? Is the availability of high-touch coaching year round really a difference maker? Is it the level of coaching? I assume Georgia pays a very competitive staffing budget to its track program. Is it work load? What would stop Boling from entering five events at a professional meet, as he's been known to do in college, if he just wanted to? Are there other factors I'm missing?

Terrance Laird was the last big name collegiate sprinter I remember, and he turned pro after four years of college in 2021 (not sure that he graduated). But even two years ago, the college experience was much different (no NIL money and extra covid protocol nonsense). How would Boling hurt his career potential (measured either in times or by Olympic medals) if say he used his "covid year" of extra eligibility and won an extra set of national championships at Georgia in 2024?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
@sprintstar @white lightning

American college sports have historically held limitations on student-athletes regarding when and how often they can practice under supervision, how they're compensated, and what their coursework commitments (actual school) entail. However, I assume this picture is much different now. The current NIL arrangement seems to me that Boling can sign any endorsement deals he wants. With the advent of ubiquitous online classes during covid lockdowns, students have more flexibility than ever in managing their time. College athletes already had the schoolwork side of things made easy for them.

I don't have any insight about high-level track practices. NCAA football teams cannot hold supervised practices (where members of staff oversee) past a set amount of hours deemed to be reasonable during the season, with a lesser amount of hours during the offseason. Players can still camp out in the weight room, use fields and equipment to practice on their own, and meet with coaches informally. I assume NCAA track would share this basic template.

Assuming this, what is the disadvantage (specific or general) of Boling running in college rather than the pro circuit? Is the availability of high-touch coaching year round really a difference maker? Is it the level of coaching? I assume Georgia pays a very competitive staffing budget to its track program. Is it work load? What would stop Boling from entering five events at a professional meet, as he's been known to do in college, if he just wanted to? Are there other factors I'm missing?

Terrance Laird was the last big name collegiate sprinter I remember, and he turned pro after four years of college in 2021 (not sure that he graduated). But even two years ago, the college experience was much different (no NIL money and extra covid protocol nonsense). How would Boling hurt his career potential (measured either in times or by Olympic medals) if say he used his "covid year" of extra eligibility and won an extra set of national championships at Georgia in 2024?

It's mostly a load schedule of way too many races in short periods of time. Then the coaching has been average at best. The kid ran 9.98 windy in high school and 10.11 wind legal as a senior back in 2019! He struggles to make those times alot. That is bad coaching and overload from fatigue. His coach lightened up the load indoors but didn't let him run any 60 meters? This hurt his explosiveness and it's showing in the
100 and 200 meters outdoors. He needs a world class coach and to focus more on the individual 100/200 meters and not the relays until he
gets more consistant. His 2 fastest races over 100 in all of college are a 9.98 and 10.03 wind legals from last year. In 4 years of college he
should have achieved way more than that. He has won 2 national champs indoors over 200 meters and some sec champs outdoors. I just
know that the kid has so much untapped potential and he needs the right coaching to bring it out of him. When he turns pro I think you will
see a different Boling in 2024! I guarantee it.

That being said I hope he finished his last year of Georgia strong. I'm just worried as he has raced way too much the last month. It's making
him slower and also causing him to tighten up more. Hope for better luck but the kid needs some rest for a week or 2.