Matthew Boling 9.98, 19.92, 44.98 and 8.25 LJ

mastermulti

Master
It just occurred to me by looking at the title of this thread that Boling might be in very rare company as a guy to break the 10 second barrier in the 100, the 20 second barrier in the 200 and the 45 second barrier in the 400. I'm not sure how many other guys have done this but it can't be many.
he's number 7 in the world to do it. He's in very elite company

SneakyQuick

Mentor
he's number 7 in the world to do it. He's in very elite company
I don’t think it’s been mentioned much but wouldn’t he have made an unbelievable decathlete ?

I recognize we would rather see him excel in the sprints for obvious reasons but doesn’t his success actually reinforce the notion that whites are generally better all around track athletes?

Logos5

Guru
I don’t think it’s been mentioned much but wouldn’t he have made an unbelievable decathlete ?

I recognize we would rather see him excel in the sprints for obvious reasons but doesn’t his success actually reinforce the notion that whites are generally better all around track athletes?
I mean is there any other white athletes that did what Boling did as well?

Texas Flash

I'll make a Boling prediction:
If you look at the US Olympic Trials there is a good 3 day break between the final of the 400m and the opening round of the 200m. It would make sense for him to enter the 200m as well as the 400m just in case something goes wrong in the 400 - he would then still have the opportunity to make the team via the 200. Boling, however, does not currently have an automatic qualifying time of 20.30 for the 200 and his best legal time in the qualifying window is a 20.52. There's no guarantee that time will make the field. Look for him to run a 200m race in the next two weeks. If conditions are good and he's just recently started up his speed training phase, then I predict he PRs in the 200m.

If he does that he'll go into the 400m trials strong, fast, and confident. I think he'll have a decent shot of making one of the three individual spots and definitely will make the final 6 which will justify him getting to at least run the preliminary heat in the men's 4x400m as well as the mixed relay. I'll predict he comes away from the Olympics with two gold medals and an outside shot of possibly winning an individual. I think there is also a good chance that after the Olympics he could PR in the 100m as well.
Well what do you know! Boling is entered into Today's Edwin Moses Legends Atlanta GA meet. He will be running both the 100 and the 200. This is all about getting qualifying times for the Trials in case something goes wrong with the 400m. Again, he will have been working on speed leading up to this meet. If everything goes according to plan he should run some fast times today.

Warhawk_46

Master
I can’t wait to see how he does in the 100 and 200. If he runs loose he will put up great times.

I’m going out on a limb and saying he will go sub 10 and sub 20. He is finally way from that horrendous female coach at Georgia.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Edwin Moses Legends Track Meets starts in 10 minutes guys. Let's go Matthew Boling as well as others competing there! Here
is the free link as it's on youtube.com Let's hope for good weather and fast times!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
See what they have done to the greatest white sprinter in American History! He runs high school times now mostly in the 100 and 200 meters. This has to destroy the kids ego and confidence. This 400 meter experiment needs to stop or his career will always be average!

There are currently 3 guys in the world at almost 44.00 flat in the 400 and we will see some sub 44's soon. Boling is only ranked 26th in the 400 meters worldwide. Even Alexander Doom is only 10th but he is built for the 400 and will get faster.Now Boling can get back to the explosive 100 & 200 Meters Sprinter but he will need a new coach and new training. You can just do endurance events 95 percent of the time and then expect to run fast in the shorter distances. Just because Fred Kerly did doesn't mean Boling can. Every sprinter is different. Boling is not a 400 meter sprinter. He is very good at the distance but a second off the worlds best.

MATHEW BOLING HAS TO GO BACK TO THE SHORT SPRINTS NEXT YEAR. IF NOT THEN WHY BOTHER?

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
When something isn't broken you don't fix it. You don't reinvent the wheel. Of course they can't help but destroy a white kids ability
and confidence to make sure he knows his place. Horrible people coaching and advising him unless he is just happy making the relay.
I can't imagine any guy with his talent would just settle for that despite it being special.

At least Christophe Lemaitre wasn't moved into higher distances? He stayed where he belonged.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that states this over and over. Not that my opinion matters much but in the hopes that the kid
ever reads this thread I hope he CHANGES EVERYTHING. Learn to run fast from another coach and only do the 60, 100 and 200 meters
from here on out. If not he will never be the star he was destined to be! He is only 23 years of age and it's not too late! He will be 24 shortly.

One last thing. I guarantee Poland will not move Marek Zakrzewski from the 100 and the 200 meters to the 400.
I will say the same thing about Russia and how they will keep Konstantin Krylov in the short sprints.

Only America is stupid enough to change the events which he was born to run in! What a joke!

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
Horrible.

He is NOT and never will be a 400 meter guy. The absolute ONLY reason he is being pushed to that is because he is white.

He ran the fastest high school 100m time ever… and has really not improved since.

freedom1

Mentor
Third in the 200 at 20.58. That looked a little more normal, but something is majorly wrong. He looks so tight!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Third in the 200 at 20.58. That looked a little more normal, but something is majorly wrong. He looks so tight!!

I love you brother but 20.58 is like running in concrete. Even if he wasn't so tight 20.45 at best. Super slow and not a time
that any professional sprinter should ever run unless it's the off season. The training has done little for his speed. It's only
increased his speed endurance a bit. Hope he is happy running relays. If he keeps this up he will be replaced for that too!

freedom1

Mentor
Well, keep in mind that I did say "a little." :). In the 100, he came in dead last. In the 200, he came in third. The winning time in 200 was 20.30 (really not that great for a high profile meet this close to the Olympics).

On a more positive note, Audrey Leduc won the women's 200 with a solid 22.36.

Texas Flash

Wow. That was disappointing. He got completely left at the start. Even in the false start by the time they called it back he was already down a meter and a half. From there he was just chasing and technically ran a horrible race -muscled and opened up way too much. In the 200 he may have been in the lead slightly coming off the bend but then simply couldn't hold it. That's concerning considering he's training for the 400.

Truthfully he probably has done very little block work but even still that was bad.

Next weekend is the end of the qualifying window. At this point, I hope he doesnt try and chase a time next weekend. Just relax, get mentally prepared, and go the trials with the mindset to place.

Warhawk_46

Master
Wow. That was disappointing. He got completely left at the start. Even in the false start by the time they called it back he was already down a meter and a half. From there he was just chasing and technically ran a horrible race -muscled and opened up way too much. In the 200 he may have been in the lead slightly coming off the bend but then simply couldn't hold it. That's concerning considering he's training for the 400.

Truthfully he probably has done very little block work but even still that was bad.

Next weekend is the end of the qualifying window. At this point, I hope he doesnt try and chase a time next weekend. Just relax, get mentally prepared, and go the trials with the mindset to place.
Agreed. He has gotten progressively worse as his career through college and now progressional goes.

Crazy to say a 23 year old was better as an 18 year old but it is true.

Unless he drastically changes pretty much everything, he will go down as one of the biggest what ifs in track and field history.

Booth

Mentor
Boling ran a 45.08 and finished 5th at the New York Grand Prix. He faded the last 50 meters.

Texas Flash

Boling ran a 45.08 and finished 5th at the New York Grand Prix. He faded the last 50 meters.

He did. Ideally, he runs much faster than this at the trials. Despite the wind, this was his second fastest quarter ever, and in better conditions, it would have been a PR. He was also going against top-rated competition that had a lot more experience than he does in this event. He'll learn from it. And we all know he's strong, and running rounds will give him a big advantage over most. I expect he will have a big PR if conditions are good. Will he make the top three and an individual place on the Olympic Team? Probably not but it would be a shock if he doesnt make the men's relay team and then also the mixed team. This can still be a good year for him.

ALSO! He has declared for the 200m at the trials! After the 400m finals he will have three days to recover before the opening 200m round. Its likely that if he does well in the 400m he will scratch the 200m. But you never know. He might use it as practice and as a confidence booster. Three days rest after running 3 rounds of the 400m is going to make the 200 feel super easy. Being in Oregon I'd bet he would run a PR.

He may not be running the open 100m but I think his prospects are very promising and we all have a lot to be excited about for him. This kid is not done.