matt jones makes jaguars as #3 receiver

JD074

Master
Don Wassall said:
It's a big part the team he's on, and part being new to the position. 

I'll go with that. It is conceivable that, had he been a WR for a few years, he would've made a few excellent plays- if not spectacular, like in pre-season- by now, despite his team, coach, and QB. Then again it is also conceivable that he could've gone to a different team and performed much better even though new to the position. It's speculation, we don't know for sure, but as time goes on- it is very early on, as you said- it will become more clear.

Another question is, which team would be a good fit for him at the present time? The Colts already have so many guys, and appear to be having trouble finding room for Stokely. St. Louis already has three solid WR's (including our man Curtis,) probably the same for New England, the Chiefs aren't playing their white WR's (unless things have changed recently, I haven't kept up with it,) the Titans aren't a good place for WR's right now. I wonder....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
2 catches for 20 yards and a score.It's about time he got thrown to in the red zone.I still can't believe that they are not even getting him the ball 8-10 times a game.Two catches for your number one draft pick.That makes me so angry.Congrats on the first of what will be many nfl touchdowns.Keep your head up Matt!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Jones reeled in the TD with one hand. I caught parts of the game. Jones was open a few times but Leftwich chose to throw to other covered receivers. Byron is fat, slow and takes forever to get rid of the ball. He's fairly accurate on short to mid -range throws but doesn't seem to throw the deep ball well. His last two passes in regulation were very poorly thrown, one being intercepted. He should have gone instead to Jones underneath. Del Rio's play selectionin crunch timewas goofy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched almost all of the game, and yes Jones was very underutilized again. But the Jax passing offense is not very good and I don't see that changing any time soon. It will be difficult for Jones to shine under the current Jags regime, especially since Jimmy Smith is the team's tribal chieftain who will remain the primary option on most passing plays until he finally noticeably fades.

surfsider

Guru
Tom Jackson on Primetime said that Jones didn't look like a former QB but was a "present wide receiver". Odd phrasing but good to hear a commentator say positive things re Jones. This came after nice comments about his TD catch.

Kaptain

Master
News: The Times-Union reports Reggie Williams has been demoted to fourth on the team's depth chart behind Ernest Wilford and Matt Jones, who is now No. 3 in Jacksonville.

bigunreal

Mentor
The big thing is not that the unimpressive Williams was demoted, but
that Wilford leap- frogged over their #1 pick, Jones, into the #2 WR
spot. Once again, that 3rd spot, in the slot, is reserved for the white
guy. Jones has shown flashes of greatness, while being severely
underutilized. It's completely ridiculous, and totally racist, not to
promote him into the starting lineup.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
WHOOPIE!! Matt Jones is now #3!

What does that give us?

Bennett's out, was the #2 receiver
Joe Jurevicius #1 (for now)
Finneran #2
Stokely #3
Jones #3
Horn #3
Curtis #3
Boerigter #4

Out of 32 teams, there are 32 #1's; 32 #2's; 32 #3's
94 slots 7 white players. Only one #1 (temporarily), one #2, a few #3's
smiley7.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley18.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Splitting hairs, I know, but Finneran is No. 1 on the Falcons.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Splitting hairs, I know, but Finneran is No. 1 on the Falcons.
smiley2.gif

Really? That's good news. Yahoo had him listed at #2. I guess they want Vick to succeed so bad they figured they better have someone that can actually catch the ball!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I guess they want Vick to succeed so bad they figured they better have someone that can actually catch the ball!

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Kaptain

Master
When did Bennett get demoted from #1 to #2? Are you sure about that?
And who the hell is Wilford? How can he be above the freak of the NFL combine?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bennett's been #1 all season. Tennessee doesn't even have a number two, just a bunch of rookies and the horrible Tyrone Calico jockeying for position.

Reggie Williams was demoted from #2 to #4 while Wilford went from 4 to 2. Jones stayed at #3.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think Bennett was No. 1 when the season started but he has since then been injured. Right now, he is behind Brandon Jones, Sloan Thomas, Courtney Roby, and Roydell Williams on the Titans depth chart. Basically demoted to 3rd string, alongside Tyrone Calico.

I hope he doesn't lose his position because of injury.
smiley5.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bennett will be #1 as soon as he returns. Other white backups not mentioned:

Wes Welker (#3)

Kevin Walter (#4)

Ricky Proehl (#4)

Tim Dwight (#4 or 5)

Dane Looker (#5)

Brad Pyatt (would be #4 or 5 but is injured)

kevin

Guru
Jones had his best day of the year. He caught 2 td for over 100 yards and even seemed to be impressing the Baltimore secondary. I hope this will him a chance to see some more action.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From Yahoo Fantast Sportsline:

Sep 6 Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars WR Matt Jones is listed as a starter in the team's official depth chart.

Uh... did I miss something here? Who else are they gonna start?

It irritates me that they think the fact Matt Jones is starting is noteworthy.

Do you think the Indianapolis newspapers are going to report that Marvin Harrison is listed as a starter? Or Steve Smith in the Carolina papers?

Friggin' BS.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Sark6354201 said:
I'm glad he's starting
smiley32.gif

Well, we're all glad he's staring, Sark, but the fact that someone in the media felt like it was newsworthy means there is doubt in somebody's mind that Matt should even BE a starter.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point WS. Its a crying shame the media does the way they do. They just can't help it. When it comes to anti-white bias and discrimination for the media, tain't enough!
smiley7.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
From Pete Prisco column on CBS:

Sep. 6, 2006
By Pete Prisco
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

"Most improved: Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones made some plays as a rookie last season, but he was thinking too much instead of reacting. Now he's reacting. He will be an impact player."

that's from his prediction article... so someone is giving Matt some credit!

hedgehog

Mentor
I have been watching the Dallas vs Jacksonville game, and Matt Jones is clearly the 3rd reciever on this team. On two receiver sets he is only on the field about 10-20% of the time with the other two receivers getting the bulk of the playing time.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That may be so but he still has 5 catches for 71 yards to lead the team.They need to play him more and just throw the damn ball to him.It's like they are playing keep away.In comparison,the often overhyped,egomaniac,T.O.has 80 yards receiving for the Cowboys.Give me Matt Jones any day of the week.

speedster

Mentor
Four of Jones'receptions came all in a row bang,bang,bang,bang.Matt is so talented he can strike at anytime and before you know it he has five catches like he did today.I want to see him get a lot of looks and I think he will because Leftwich isn't that bad and remember Matt is still a work in progress.I did notice Matt not on the field at times in the first half but in the secound he was on most of the time except late on the the Jags'last scoring drive when they were deep he wasn't out there.I guess we'll have to keep an eye on that.