Maskaev back in the picture?

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Oleg was living down in Sac for a while trying to make it in real estate. Hope this doesn't mean he went broke. Wait a minute...real estate...

Sacramento? He used to live on Staten island, NYC. He was one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure the Judeo-Russian Mafiya forced him to lose a couple of fights. He sure had Rahman's number all right. He looks pretty good now.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Maskaev defeats Jason Gavern by UD: 97-94, 96-93, 98-90[/FONT]

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Sounds like he had a tough time with Gavern, though, and Gavern, who had six losses in a row, was only an "opponent", but I read he knocked M. down once and it was a close fight.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkhRSj6y3Oo

Ex-champion Oleg Maskaev knocked down but manages to get past Jason Gavern

Former WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev (38-7, 28 KOs) won a hard fought ten round unanimous decision over journeyman Jason Gavern (21-15-4, 10 KOs) on Sunday at the Sports Complex Mordovia in Saransk, Russia. Scores were 97-94, 96-93 and 98-90. Gavern knocked down Maskaev in round nine but had a point deducted for hitting behind the head in round eight. Overall, Gavern gave about as good as he got in a close fight and he was very upset when the scores went for the Russian fighter. The 44-year-old Maskaev is now 2-0 since resuming his career after a three year layoff. Gavern dropped his seventh straight fight.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Maskaev didn't look bad at all, and Gavern looked A LOT tougher than his record would indicate. I don't know why the ref deducted a point from Gavern. Gavern wasn't happy with the decision.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkhRSj6y3Oo

Ex-champion Oleg Maskaev knocked down but manages to get past Jason Gavern

Former WBC heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev (38-7, 28 KOs) won a hard fought ten round unanimous decision over journeyman Jason Gavern (21-15-4, 10 KOs) on Sunday at the Sports Complex Mordovia in Saransk, Russia. Scores were 97-94, 96-93 and 98-90. Gavern knocked down Maskaev in round nine but had a point deducted for hitting behind the head in round eight. Overall, Gavern gave about as good as he got in a close fight and he was very upset when the scores went for the Russian fighter. The 44-year-old Maskaev is now 2-0 since resuming his career after a three year layoff. Gavern dropped his seventh straight fight.
Muscle tone aside Maskaev looked about the same as he looked over the last few years. He was lucky though that he was knocked down with 20 seconds to go in the round as he probably would have been stopped if it was early in the round as his legs were ready to go at the bell. Funny thing about Gavern is I recall about 2 years ago Gavern having a record of 21 and 7??, but since he was no longer seen as a fringe contender he has been matched tough against prospects and contenders on the comeback trail and his record has gone south in a hurry. PS he has a draw against Wlad's little friend Johnathan Banks......