Maskaev back in the picture?

referendum

Mentor
According to fightnews Oleg Maskaev has been promised a shot at Vitali's WBC belt sometime next year, after Vitali fights Gomez. This, plus the looming presence of the next black hope, David Haye, makes for a very crowded WBC title picture, with any hopes for further title unification bouts more difficult. Now I think it would be great if Vladimir could take on the winner of the Valuev Chagaev rematch sometime next fall after defeating Arreola or whoever is next and then Povetkin so he'd have three belts with Vitali holding the other one.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I have seen enough of Maskaev. He had his great moments but he is no contender anymore. I wish him luck with his business ventures.

Amren.com

Mentor
Amren.com said:
It's ridiculous that Oleg would get a shot before Peter who TKO'd Oleg in 6 back in March 2008.

Let Peter fight someone who is a top contender for the right to fight for the WBC belt after Vitali vs Gomez.

And damn it, the concept that other belt holders are never considered is ridiculous. If it was up to me, the mandatories would always be against other belt holders until they were all unified.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Really. Gomez is the mandatory?I see he really has beaten noone worthy except for Vladimir Virchis. The Haye situation really frustrates me. It is TNB where a black raves and rants until he gets his way. Haye fought one fight in the heavyweight division and now gets a title shot with the best fighter in the world. Haye should have had to wait in line like all the other fighters. Edited by: whiteathlete33

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA33, its money that lubes the rail in boxing. Vitali knows he will decimate Haye. He just wants to cash in. Vitali wants him in the ring real fast so no one else has a chance to expose him. Don't be frustrated Haye's demise is only months away and the traitor MSM will have a fat retread like Sam Peter to hope for. I can't wait for another black hope to be exposed. this is great! I watched boxing since the early 70's and always hoped that one(two)dominate white fighters in the heavyweight division would lay waste to all the blacks who dared to inter the ring with them. Enjoy this era!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Is Gomez a threat to Vitali? I know he has only one loss.

Gomez poses no -zero- threat to Vitali. Gomez is a former cruiserweight turned heavyweight. At heavyweight he has no power and has fought twelve times. Two of those twelve fights were against Daniel Frank, a man on an incredible losing record, while most of the others were against opponents with checkerboard records. After twelve fights he is still not a legitimate heavyweight. Gomez's record seems impressive enough at 44-1, until you actually see that the only legitimate top twenty heavyweight he has fought was his last fight with Vladimir Virchis. In that fight, Virchis walked around the ring flat footed like some cab driver who got out of his car to scrap it out with someone who had not paid their fare; he threw two punches at a time and always the same thing: left-right. Gomez, on the other hand, stayed up on his toes and moved in throwing little combinations and then stepping back out. But out-pointing Virchis is not the same thing as standing in the line of fire with Vitali Klitschko. Vitali is no fool like Valuev who chased after that old man Holyfield. Vitali lets these smaller guys try to come to him and then spears them with his left and clubs them with his right. Vitali would do to Gomez exactly what he did to Peter.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Have to agree with one boxing writer who called Oleg "a knockout waiting to happen." Maskaev would lose to any top 10 heavyweight at this point. Ibragimov, Povetkin, Dimitrenko and at least a few others are more deserving.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I like Maskaev. He is old now at 39 but he is a warrior. He fought a hell of a fight against Rahman. His skills are slowly disappearing due to his age. He was never the best heavyweight but a very talented one at that. He should just retire at this point. He has accomplished alot in his career winning a title. It's only going to get harder for him from here on in. Good luck to him in his future.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I watched an old fight of his from 1998 against an African KO artist Courage Tshabalala, who at the time was supposed to be the next great heavyweight, and Oleg was MUCH faster. Oleg is turning 40 in less than three months. He looked very old and faded against Peter and against Hawkins too, although he won that one.

I think he wants one more payday before he retires, against Vitali. I hope he gets it, so he will be able to live comfortably in his later life.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Maskaev vs Aguilera on 12/11, Maskaev-Ray Austin Next?

According to the Sacramento Bee, former heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev (36-6, 27KOs) will continue his bid for another title shot on December 11 when he takes a tuneup against 23-year-old Nagy Aguilera (14-2, 9 KOs) at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento. Aguilera has two defeats on his record; one by a close split decision and another by disqualification.

If Maskaev wins, next up could be a final eliminator against Ray Austin. The winner would face WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, who returns on December 12 against Kevin Johnson in Switzerland.

"Oleg drew interest from Nevada for his next fight, but he wanted it to be near his new hometown," said Maskaev's promoter, Dennis Rappaport.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I almost hope Aguilera beats him as the Maskaev-Austin fight could land on national TV and Oleg will almost certainly get KO'd.

Blue Devils

Mentor
maskaev1.jpg

Things got a little testy between Oleg Maskaev and Nagy Aguilera today at the final press conference before their big "Mega brawl-winner takes all"Â￾ bout on Friday at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, California. Maskaev, speaking with the confidence of a champion had this to say in response to a comment made by Aguilera: "You are right about one thing, when the bell rings it will only be you and me in the ring. I hope you realize what you are getting into."Â￾

When asked about future opponents Oleg declined to offer any comment, other than to say he is only focused on Aguilera and December 11th. Reporters pressed him about Klitchko, and Maskaev responded "I already stopped him once. We will see what happens when we meet again."Â￾

Aguilera had a confident aura about him, and had this to say: "I respect you as a champion, but when the bell rings I am leaving all of that in the locker room."Â￾ Aguilera in an attempt to spice things up, pulled a line from George H. Bush "Read my lips. It will only be us in the ring, and it will only be me with my arms up in the air in victory."Â￾

white is right

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
I almost hope Aguilera beats him as the Maskaev-Austin fight could land on national TV and Oleg will almost certainly get KO'd.
In the past he has lost to a better version of Aguilera in Cory Sanders(the Black one). When he lost to Sanders everybody assumed his career was over and then he won about 9 fights in a row and his chin held up. At 40 you would think a guy with chin issues it would be a glaring problem now. Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
I view Maskaev the same I view Ricky Hatton as cars that have been in several bad accidents and awaiting a fatal one with broken skulls, missing body parts and blood everywhere!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Maskaev was KOed in round one by Aguilera tonight.

Time for Oleg to hang up the gloves. I'll always remember those two great fights he had with Hasim Rahman.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Terrible loss. That should be it for Oleg. He had a bit of strange career. Won a few fights as a huge dog and lost many as a marginal favorite. He owned Hasbeen Rockhead though...Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Today in Moscow, age 43 Oleg Maskaev beat Owen Beck by TKO 3.

Beck was down once in round one and twice in round three.

Maskaev is old and slow, but he's still a good puncher.

The Hock

Master
Oleg was living down in Sac for a while trying to make it in real estate. Hope this doesn't mean he went broke. Wait a minute...real estate...

Westside

Hall of Famer
Today in Moscow, age 43 Oleg Maskaev beat Owen Beck by TKO 3.

Beck was down once in round one and twice in round three.

Maskaev is old and slow, but he's still a good puncher.
Sadly, this can only mean one thing. Oleg is broke. Amazing that alot of fighters can not see to save / invest their winnings wisely. Man, at 43 years of age and slow, Oleg does not need to be in the ring with anyone.