Margarito vs Mosely

white is right

Hall of Famer
Here is the wrap story. In the following weeks we will find out the true story as the California Athletic Commission will do tests on the substance.....'Plaster-like substance' found on wraps
Comment Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

LOS ANGELES -- Welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito was forced to re-wrap his hands before Saturday night's defense against Shane Mosley at Staples Center after Mosley trainer Nazim Richardson discovered an abnormality during the pre-fight inspection.

"It was a plaster-like substance," Golden Boy Promotions attorney Stephen Espinoza told ESPN.com. "It was bagged up by the commission and taken as evidence."

Espinoza said that Dean Lohuis, co-executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said it was discovered under both of Margarito's wraps.

Margarito's camp could not be reached for comment.

Richardson originally had objected to the amount of tape on Margarito's hands and when it was removed, the foreign substance was discovered, Espinoza said.

Richardson, who trains Bernard Hopkins, had also objected to Felix Trinidad's hand wraps before their historic 2001 undisputed middleweight championship fight. Trinidad was forced to have his hands re-wrapped and Hopkins went on to knock him out in the 12th round to unify titles.

What a shocking for Margarito, and Mexico, you have to give a lot of credit though to Mosley. What ever controversies there may have been behind the scenes prior to this fight, it's a well-deserved victory for Mosley.

The 2000's have been a decade of heart-breakers</span> for Mexican Boxing:

Jose Luis Castillo - (Hatton, Corrales</span>)
Marco Antonio Barrera - (Pacman</span> 2x)
Erik Morales - (Pacman</span> 2x)
Oscar De La Hoya (American of Mexican Heritage) - (Pacman</span>)
David Diaz (American of Mexican Heritage) - (Pacman</span>)
Juan Manuel Marquez - (Pacman</span> 1.5x)
Oscar Larios - (Pacman</span>)
Antonio Margarito - (Williams, Mosley</span>)

Mexican Boxing sure has taken a big hit for this decade. But they are not out.

Credit to Shane, he fought the perfect gameplan. Margarito was never fast, Shane was quick and had a little pop. Everyone knew that and that was how Paul Williams and Daniel Santos (kind of) won their fight. But Shane smothered him up close so that Tony couldn't throw, then hit him on the way out. Margarito didn't know how to clinch or to hold when in trouble. That led to the downfall. The one thing that I don't care for is that Margarito was born in America (Torrance, CA) if I am correct, and lives here part of the time, and he doesn't speak a lick of English nor wants to. That pisses me off more than any of the Shane roids scandal.
smiley7.gif

mrjohnnynofear said:
Credit to Shane, he fought the perfect gameplan. Margarito was never fast, Shane was quick and had a little pop. Everyone knew that and that was how Paul Williams and Daniel Santos (kind of) won their fight. But Shane smothered him up close so that Tony couldn't throw, then hit him on the way out. Margarito didn't know how to clinch or to hold when in trouble. That led to the downfall. The one thing that I don't care for is that Margarito was born in America (Torrance, CA) if I am correct, and lives here part of the time, and he doesn't speak a lick of English nor wants to. That pisses me off more than any of the Shane roids scandal.
smiley7.gif
mrjohnnynofear</span>, thanks for the reminder. Another reason why I hate Mexicans is because, these SPICS hardly speak a word of English. It's amazing many of them them were born in the USA (California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), yet they can't speak a word of English. I'm willing to accept social and cultural diversity, but please, speak in ENGLISH</span>!!!!!!!
smiley7.gif

Edited by: indianwhite

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I would not say the result of this fight was shocking. It was a plausible outcome. I did not think it would happen the way it did but it was plausible nonetheless -unlike the De La Hoya/Pacman fight which I still think was a fix. The result of this fight does not really bother me though. Mosely is an up and down fighter now and he may lose his next one.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
white is right said:
Here is the wrap story. In the following weeks we will find out the true story as the California Athletic Commission will do tests on the substance.....'Plaster-like substance' found on wraps
Comment Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

LOS ANGELES -- Welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito was forced to re-wrap his hands before Saturday night's defense against Shane Mosley at Staples Center after Mosley trainer Nazim Richardson discovered an abnormality during the pre-fight inspection.

"It was a plaster-like substance," Golden Boy Promotions attorney Stephen Espinoza told ESPN.com. "It was bagged up by the commission and taken as evidence."

Espinoza said that Dean Lohuis, co-executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, said it was discovered under both of Margarito's wraps.

Margarito's camp could not be reached for comment.

Richardson originally had objected to the amount of tape on Margarito's hands and when it was removed, the foreign substance was discovered, Espinoza said.

Richardson, who trains Bernard Hopkins, had also objected to Felix Trinidad's hand wraps before their historic 2001 undisputed middleweight championship fight. Trinidad was forced to have his hands re-wrapped and Hopkins went on to knock him out in the 12th round to unify titles.

This white substance could be a fast drying cementious plaster similiar to what is used in emergency cases where broken limbs need to be immobilized. If this is the case, the trainers may have thought it would give Margarito more clout. A word to the wise, no matter where you are fighting make sure a covenant is in your contract allowing your own trainer to inspect the equipment of your opponent. Do not rely on a third party.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Maple Leaf if that substance is what you say it is, then Margarito deserved that hellious beat down courtsey of Shane Mosely. Furthermore, if it is determined to be so, then Margarito should be suspended for two years and fined heavily. Bottom line he should punished and be made an example of.

Something similar should have been done to Mosely when he cheated by using/injecting himself with Roids against a prime DLH back in 2003 who I believed won that fight anyway. But I sometimes forget, Shane is black so he get the benefit of the doubt or it(cheating) is convientatly swipe under the rug as aways when dealing with elite affelets.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Westside said:
Maple Leaf if that substance is what you say it is, then Margarito deserved that hellious beat down courtsey of Shane Mosely. Furthermore, if it is determined to be so, then Margarito should be suspended for two years and fined heavily. Bottom line he should punished and be made an example of.

Something similar should have been done to Mosely when he cheated by using/injecting himself with Roids against a prime DLH back in 2003 who I believed won that fight anyway. But I sometimes forget, Shane is black so he get the benefit of the doubt or it(cheating) is convientatly swipe under the rug as aways when dealing with elite affelets.

I agree. Cheating is cheating no matter who does it.

The Hock

Master
Margorito's whole career is tainted now. I wondered how a guy with six losses got where he did the last couple years, and how he busted up Cotto the way he did.

Shane should give this Richardson guy a bonus.

Billy Collins is up there somewhere shaking his head.

white is right

Hall of Famer
It looks like in a bout two weeks we will know the truth or as close to the truth of the shenanigans that these two tried to pull off. Here is the ESPN story....Margarito, trainer await results of tests
Comment Email Print
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Former welterweight titleholder Antonio Margarito and his trainer, Javier Capetillo, had their licenses temporarily suspended by the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday pending the outcome of an investigation into the "plaster-like substance" found on Margarito's hand wraps before his fight last Saturday night against Shane Mosley.
Margarito
Margarito
"The temporary suspension will remain in effect until CSAC has fully investigated the circumstances surrounding events at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Jan. 24, 2009," commission chairman Tim Noonan said in a statement. "A foreign substance was found by California State Athletic Commission staff in the hand wraps of Antonio Margarito before his bout against Shane Mosley at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The substance found in Margarito's hand wraps is currently being analyzed by the California Department of Justice. An investigation as to whether either licensee violated CSAC rules is ongoing."

Noonan said Margarito and Capetillo have been asked to appear at an initial hearing on Feb. 10.

About a half hour before the fight, which Mosley won by dominant ninth-round TKO to regain the welterweight championship, his trainer, Naazim Richardson objected to the way Margarito's hands were wrapped.

When the wraps were cut off to be rewrapped, officials found what was deemed a "plaster-like substance" in the wraps. Two pieces of gauze, one in each glove, allegedly had the substance on them.

"From what I know, there was a plaster of Paris-like substance in Margarito's wraps and the commission has these wraps under seal and is investigating what kind of substance it is," Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who promotes Mosley, told ESPN.com. "I'm happy to see the commission realized how serious the issue is and is acting swiftly. We'll see what the outcome will be of the situation."

"Commission staff will have no further comment until such time as the commission makes a final determination of whether licensee actions in this case warrant fines, suspensions, or the revocation of licenses," Noonan said.

Past opponents of Margarito are watching the outcome of the commission investigation with interest. Attorney Pat English, who represents former Kermit Cintron promoter Main Events and Vinny Scolpino, the manager of Joshua Clottey, sent a letter to the commission on Tuesday to alert the panel of their interest.

"We have seen many allegations in this sport and will form no conclusions until the wraps are tested," English wrote. "However, if they test positive for an illegal substance a logical question will be whether the illegal substance was used in other bouts, and we will ask the commissions of the other states where Margarito fought to make appropriate inquiries."

English asked the commission to forward any test results related to the case.

Margarito has twice knocked out Cintron in welterweight title fights when he was promoted by Main Events, the only two losses of his career. The most recent time came in April 2008 in Atlantic City, N.J., two bouts before Margarito faced Mosley.

Margarito retained a title via unanimous decision against Clottey in December 2006, also in Atlantic City. Clottey would go on to later win a world title.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com

Westside

Hall of Famer
If that foreign substance is plaster, Margarito should be swiftly punished, something along the lines of two years suspension and fined a 100 grand plus all fees involved in this investigation.

On the same token, Shane should be suspended for two years and fined 100 grand and his decision reversed in DLH favor for his admitted steroid use back in 2003. What good for the geese is good for the gander.

Seriously, Shane has to be punished.