Madison Bumgarner

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I didn't see a thread on him so on the heels of all the Bryce Harper talk I wanted to make mention of possibly a star in the making whose kind of been under the radar.

Madison came up with the Giants 3 years ago for a short stint at 19 years old. Then the next season went 7-6 and became the fourth youngest pitcher to start and win a World Series game, helping the Giants to win The World Series!

Last year he went 13-13 with little or no run support in most of his games. He now stands at 20-19. This might not sound all that impressive, but he's still 22 years old and I believe poised to become a great pitcher, if he can get more support.

He's big 6'5; 235lbs., left handed, and has gained more experience than most his age. I hope all on CF will start looking for him as MLB begins a new season.

Did anyone remember this first post about Bumgarner. I was obviously proud of this young man early on and was a little biased toward him, mainly because he was from my area of the state.

His legend grew in this area in high school where he not only was a state championship pitcher, he was also a slugger as many in MLB have found out with his 2 grand slams this season.

Now he will forever be etched in a hallowed spot among other Giant greats such as Mel Ott, Mathewson, King Carl Hubbell, Mays, and Marichal!

In fact, a case could be made at the age of 25, Bumgarner could be considered the most successful World Series pitcher of all time. He now has ring number 3. His record is 4-0 and one historical save. He has pitched 36 innings in 3 fall classics, given up 1 run, 14 hits, and 5 walks, with 31 strikeouts and 0.25 ERA, best of all time!

I don't know for sure, but that's a pretty good record.

We are all proud of Madison Bumgarner, as well as KC's Greg Holland, in these parts and hope there's more to come.

There's a lot of negatives and bad news for our guys in the world of sports, but for a time last night all was well.

"Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near." Isaiah, 55:6.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Baseball as a whole has undergone a significant "whitening" trend over the last few decades. Compared to the NFL and NBA, it's startling. There will always be the South American/Dominican pipeline, but the sheer number of talented white HS and college players here in the US will keep MLB whitening.

Great playoff and a fantastic World Series this year also helps. Don mentioned earlier in this thread about the corporate propping-up of MLB. There is no denying that it is, but nothing like the extent of the NBA and WNBA. Most of the MLB playoffs this year were not on main network channels as they would have been in the League heydays. And in spite of the corporate spiffs, media pundit coverage of baseball has been in marked decline since those "wonderful" afrocentric days. With the exception of a few, like Bumgarner, the only players promoted and given props are blacks and hisplanics.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Baseball as a whole has undergone a significant "whitening" trend over the last few decades. Compared to the NFL and NBA, it's startling. There will always be the South American/Dominican pipeline, but the sheer number of talented white HS and college players here in the US will keep MLB whitening.

Great playoff and a fantastic World Series this year also helps. Don mentioned earlier in this thread about the corporate propping-up of MLB. There is no denying that it is, but nothing like the extent of the NBA and WNBA. Most of the MLB playoffs this year were not on main network channels as they would have been in the League heydays. And in spite of the corporate spiffs, media pundit coverage of baseball has been in marked decline since those "wonderful" afrocentric days. With the exception of a few, like Bumgarner, the only players promoted and given props are blacks and hisplanics.
Yes I remember in the late 70's to early 80's very few outfielders were White and virtually all were journeyman less Fred Lynn and a shooting comet type like Richie Zisk. I truly think better White athletes are choosing baseball over football and the 5 tool guys that could have made NFL rosters are choosing a safer better paying sport. It's much better to be a baseball player that can have a 15 year career if you are star and you will earn much more than any football player less quarterbacks or the best non quarterbacks in key positions in football. Plus the contracts are guaranteed, ie the A-Fraud deal.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Madison Bumgarner named Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year!

Congratulations Madison on an outstanding season. Looking forward to watching you the rest of your career!

Madison Bumgarner named Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year!

Congratulations Madison on an outstanding season. Looking forward to watching you the rest of your career!

Bumgarner winning SI's award surprised the Hell out of me. He deserved it! I'm so cynical I rarely pay attention to SI accolades, I assumed that some melanin enriched tool would get the award.

On a side note, imagine how much attention, praise, and the level of endorsements Bumgarner would receive if he were black or latino or anything but white.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bumgarner outduels Clayton Kershaw in a 2-1 win over the Dodgers in Los Angeles! Bumgarner pitched 8 innings giving up a run and striking out 9. Bumgarner is 3-1 lifetime against Kershaw.

Buster Posey homered for the Giants.

Kershaw has 99 career wins at age 27.

Bumgarner has 69 wins at age 25.

These 2 guys have a great chance to get close to, or even get 300 wins!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bumgarner outduels Clayton Kershaw in a 2-1 win over the Dodgers in Los Angeles! Bumgarner pitched 8 innings giving up a run and striking out 9. Bumgarner is 3-1 lifetime against Kershaw.

Buster Posey homered for the Giants.

Kershaw has 99 career wins at age 27.

Bumgarner has 69 wins at age 25.

These 2 guys have a great chance to get close to, or even get 300 wins!

Bumgarner takes a no hitter into the 7th inning before giving up a hit as he gets his 3rd win on the year, 3-1 for the season and win number 70 of his young career.

Probably only 2 things left for Bumgarner to accomplish as a pitcher to make him one of the greatest ever. A no hitter and a Cy Young award. Barring an injury or early retirement, Madbum should get somewhere between 250-300 career wins.

Note: Clayton Kershaw is denied again trying to get career win 100, receiving a no decision in LA's loss to Milwaukee.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bumgarner gets his 1,000 strike out and now has 1,006 for his career. At 25 years and 331 days he becomes the youngest pitcher in the San Francisco era to reach 1,000 career K's.

Bumgarner, 8-4 on the year also got his 75th career win against Colorado and hit another HR today!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bumgarner gets his 1,000 strike out and now has 1,006 for his career. At 25 years and 331 days he becomes the youngest pitcher in the San Francisco era to reach 1,000 career K's.

Bumgarner, 8-4 on the year also got his 75th career win against Colorado and hit another HR today!

Bumgarner gets his 11th win of the year and 78th of his young career. He also hit another HR. Number 3 on the season and is batting .256!

Bumgarner has hit the most HR's (9) by a pitcher since 2012!

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
28 ML pitchers have reached 1,000 K's through the age of 25. The number 1 player in strikeouts to walks ratio is Madison Bumgarner. Pretty impressive when you see the top 5.

1. Madison Bumgarner, 4.09 SO's/BB
2. Walter Johnson, 3.5 SO's/BB
3. Bert Blyleven, 3.19 SO's/BB
4. Dwight Gooden, 3.1 SO's/BB
5. Clayton Kershaw, 3.07 SO's/BB

Others on the list include: Denny McClain, Don Drysdale, Christy Mathewson, Catfish Hunter, and Bob Feller.

We could be witnessing 2 of the greatest pitchers of all time, Kershaw and Bumgarner, and 2 of the greatest hitters of all time; Harper and Trout! Time will tell.

It's been a treat watching them play early on in their careers!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
28 ML pitchers have reached 1,000 K's through the age of 25. The number 1 player in strikeouts to walks ratio is Madison Bumgarner. Pretty impressive when you see the top 5.

1. Madison Bumgarner, 4.09 SO's/BB
2. Walter Johnson, 3.5 SO's/BB
3. Bert Blyleven, 3.19 SO's/BB
4. Dwight Gooden, 3.1 SO's/BB
5. Clayton Kershaw, 3.07 SO's/BB

Others on the list include: Denny McClain, Don Drysdale, Christy Mathewson, Catfish Hunter, and Bob Feller.

We could be witnessing 2 of the greatest pitchers of all time, Kershaw and Bumgarner, and 2 of the greatest hitters of all time; Harper and Trout! Time will tell.

It's been a treat watching them play early on in their careers!

Bumgarner 12 K's and "NO" WALKS in a CG last night against Houston! At one point MadBum struck out 7 in a row, tying a SF record. It was Bumgarner's 13th the win of the season and career win number 80.

The only pitcher standing in Bumgarner's way for Cy Young seems to be Pittsburgh's Gerrit Cole, having a phenomenal year. Cole is 14-5 and a 2.39 ERA. I need to start a thread on him. Another, in a long line of great young, white pitchers!

PHillisFan

Master
Bumgarner 12 K's and "NO" WALKS in a CG last night against Houston! At one point MadBum struck out 7 in a row, tying a SF record. It was Bumgarner's 13th the win of the season and career win number 80.

The only pitcher standing in Bumgarner's way for Cy Young seems to be Pittsburgh's Gerrit Cole, having a phenomenal year. Cole is 14-5 and a 2.39 ERA. I need to start a thread on him. Another, in a long line of great young, white pitchers!

I would throw in Jake Arietta of the Cubs in the mix for Cy Young too.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I would throw in Jake Arietta of the Cubs in the mix for Cy Young too.

Agreed.

Today, Bumgarner won his 14th of the year in a complete game, 3 hit, shutout! Bumgarner struck out 14 and walked 1.

At the plate, he went 2/3, with a HR, double, and 2 RBI's. His 4th HR of the season!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bumgarner carried a perfect game into the eighth inning Saturday night, but allowed a single with 4 outs to go against San Diego.

Bumgarner almost added another historical achievement that may put him in the Hall of Fame someday, instead after putting away 23 straight batters he gave up a single to pinch hitter Melvin Upton Jr.

He settled for his third career 1-hitter, retiring one over the minimum, 28, winning 8-0.

He became the second player, Arrieta 19, in the Majors with 18 wins and the first in the NL with his fourth complete game.

It was also, the 85th win of his career, staying well ahead of greats such as, Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson as a possible 300 game winner!

Not many are talking about his Cy Young chances, instead it's all been decided to LA's Greinke or Chicago's Arrieta and even Kershaw getting in there, but Bumgarner should be in the mix as well, should he continue this late season surge.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Is Madison Bumgarner the greatest post-season pitcher of all time? He pitched a complete game shut out, 3-0 against the New York Mets last night!

He has 3 career post season shut outs. One shy of the record.
Has gone 23 consecutive post season innings without giving up a run.
A 0.79 ERA in his last nine post season starts.
In his last 8 post season games, he's 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA
He's made 6 post starts without giving up a run.
He has the ERA, 1.79 of any pitcher with at least 12 post season starts.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Is Madison Bumgarner the greatest post-season pitcher of all time? He pitched a complete game shut out, 3-0 against the New York Mets last night!

He has 3 career post season shut outs. One shy of the record.
Has gone 23 consecutive post season innings without giving up a run.
A 0.79 ERA in his last nine post season starts.
In his last 8 post season games, he's 8-0 with a 0.50 ERA
He's made 6 post starts without giving up a run.
He has the ERA, 1.79 of any pitcher with at least 12 post season starts.

I forgot to mention Bumgarner also got his 100th career win in his age 26 season, although it took him 4 tries because the Giants aren't known for their offense. The 100th win must be a tough one. I think it took Clayton Kershaw 5 tries to get number 100. Bumgarner is ahead of the likes of Clemens and Johnson for a possible 300 game winner. Kershaw was on track too, but he got injured this season, but still has a great chance barring more injuries. Hopefully, Bumgarner and Kershaw, along with Rick Porcello stay healthy over the next 15 years! I would like to see at least one of these guys get 300 wins.
Kershaw 126 wins, age 28 season.
Porcello 107 wins, age 27
Bumgarner 100 wins, age 26

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
With the five man starting rotation looking like it's here to stay, 250 wins is the new 300. Any pitcher that gets to 250 wins should get the same consideration for Cooperstown that 300 game winners always have.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Just in case anyone missed it. Madison Bumgarner becomes the first pitcher in MLB history to hit 2 HR's on opening day! He's now the Giants all time HR,(16) leader among pitchers.
Unfortunately, he failed to get when number 101. Although he pitched, taking a no hitter into the 6th, and hit well, the Dbacks hit a walk off HR to win in the bottom of the ninth.