Macklin vs GGG

TBProdigy

Guru
Expecting a great fight between two very talented fighters!

Either way someone is getting knocked out tonight, i'm predicting a GGG KO in the 7th

TBProdigy

Guru
Just saw a great fight between Rees vs Crolla, Crolla nipping it on points and justifiably so. Gavin Rees was a little bitter about the decision but he lost considerably to me.

Really looking forward to this fight :), I actually went out of my way and cancelled plans I had with my friends in order to stay home and watch this fight. I'm expecting an exciting fight!

For the purposes of this site, we should be supporting Macklin because he is completely white and Gennady is technically only half white (obviously, the other half being Asian). However, personally I am very tolerable of a white-Asian mix, so I have no problem with Gennady and I would even go so far as to say he should be considered "white". Gennady certainly represents "whites" in boxing, and most people watching fights would simply assume he is some Russian guy.

Ive seen Macklin fight before, his loss to Sturm, his TKO loss to Martinez, as well as his recent 1st round KO win over Negro Joachim Alcine I believe. Macklin is definitely a guy who comes to win and he definitely brings it. He's got some decent skills as well. But Golovkin has been nothing short of sensational as a pro, and has a huge amateur background to back it up. His KO wins over Negro Milton Nunez, Gabe Rosado, and Greg Proksa are all impressive. His power and fighting IQ is unbelievable and that only comes from a world class amateur experience.

Anything can happen in boxing, and I'm not at all writing Macklin off, but it's hard to imagine him actually winning this fight. Havent looked at gambling odds for this fight, but they've got to be something like +3500, which means you stand to win 35 dollars for every 1 dollar bet on Macklin. If I'm being completely honest, I expect Golovkin to KO Macklin , probably within 6 rounds.

I am a fan of Macklin, but I am also a believer in reality and taking the right fight at the right time. I don't believe this is a good fight for Macklin. Macklin could probably beat the Negro titleholder Peter Quillin, it's certainly a more winnable fight for him than this is. In my opinion, Macklin's management should have tried to guide him into a fight with Quillin. It probably wouldve taken some time, and he'd have to become Peter's mandatory but it would have been a smarter career move IMO. I guess HBO flashed some $$$ in front of Macklin and he took it, but a smarter career move would have been a different direction I think.

Prediction: Golovkin TKO 5

TBProdigy

Guru
Really looking forward to this fight :), I actually went out of my way and cancelled plans I had with my friends in order to stay home and watch this fight. I'm expecting an exciting fight!

For the purposes of this site, we should be supporting Macklin because he is completely white and Gennady is technically only half white (obviously, the other half being Asian). However, personally I am very tolerable of a white-Asian mix, so I have no problem with Gennady and I would even go so far as to say he should be considered "white". Gennady certainly represents "whites" in boxing, and most people watching fights would simply assume he is some Russian guy.

Ive seen Macklin fight before, his loss to Sturm, his TKO loss to Martinez, as well as his recent 1st round KO win over Negro Joachim Alcine I believe. Macklin is definitely a guy who comes to win and he definitely brings it. He's got some decent skills as well. But Golovkin has been nothing short of sensational as a pro, and has a huge amateur background to back it up. His KO wins over Negro Milton Nunez, Gabe Rosado, and Greg Proksa are all impressive. His power and fighting IQ is unbelievable and that only comes from a world class amateur experience.

Anything can happen in boxing, and I'm not at all writing Macklin off, but it's hard to imagine him actually winning this fight. Havent looked at gambling odds for this fight, but they've got to be something like +3500, which means you stand to win 35 dollars for every 1 dollar bet on Macklin. If I'm being completely honest, I expect Golovkin to KO Macklin , probably within 6 rounds.

I am a fan of Macklin, but I am also a believer in reality and taking the right fight at the right time. I don't believe this is a good fight for Macklin. Macklin could probably beat the Negro titleholder Peter Quillin, it's certainly a more winnable fight for him than this is. In my opinion, Macklin's management should have tried to guide him into a fight with Quillin. It probably wouldve taken some time, and he'd have to become Peter's mandatory but it would have been a smarter career move IMO. I guess HBO flashed some $$$ in front of Macklin and he took it, but a smarter career move would have been a different direction I think.

Prediction: Golovkin TKO 5

I was going to mention about Golovkin's asian heritage, but I decided to leave it out because I think both fighters are two great ambassadors and talented white athletes. Ill be curious to see how Gennady responds to adversity tonight and being under pressure, because Macklin is coming to fight, I want to see how Gennady answers the tough questions to know if he is truly champion material.

Tommy is losing this fight, not enough activity!

TBProdigy

Guru
I don't rate Oosthuizen, he isn't losing this fight as clearly as HBO would indicate, but he is completely struggling against this no name.

He got exposed big time

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I don't rate Oosthuizen, he isn't losing this fight as clearly as HBO would indicate, but he is completely struggling against this no name.

He got exposed big time
I agree.

I scored it a draw, and Kellerman and Ward were rooting for Gonzales and giving him more credit than he deserved.

But I wasn't impressed with Oosthuizen, he's clearly not as good as other 168 up-and-comers like George Groves.

TBProdigy

Guru
I think Golovkins words were lost in mental translation, I don't think he meant to come off as arrogant as he sounded its just his english is so broken he can never express himself the way he wants to, he actually comes across as a very humble guy, although no doubt there is an edge to him we haven't seen. It's tough to see Macklin get beat up so badly, especially as I was also born from an Irish family in Birmingham. But I don't think there is anyone in the world at the moment who can handle Golovkins power, this fight sealed him as the real deal.

Main event went pretty much as I expected and predicted, I was off by 2 rounds, but while making the prediction, I felt the fight could be stopped very early and I hinted at that in my comments. Fight went pretty much exactly as I expected.

Tremendous win for GGG. I can't see anyone at middleweight beating him. With this KO win, he's destroyed an established guy who had very close fights with Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez.

As for Macklin, as I said before the fight, I felt his team was making a mistake by taking this fight. He should have pursued a different fight and that's his management's fault. He was probably offered a good purse from HBO, but, in the longterm interest of his career, he would have been better off to target a titlefight with Peter Quillin. I honestly believe there is a chance Macklin beats Quillin. So he could have potentially became a champion, and made a lot more money long term.

I don't think Macklin's management acted in Macklin`s best interest and exercised the best option available
. Had I been in his team, I would have advised him not to take this fight. As I stated, I felt he should have taken a different direction than this fight. Hopefully Matthew was paid well and can rebound from this loss. It's a bad loss for him.

I know it`s wishful thinking and the fight would never happen, but I`d love to see GGG vs Mayweather at 154 lbs. GGG has said he would fight at 154, and Mayweather has fought at 154 before. I doubt Mayweather would take the risk though. In fairness, GGG is a much bigger man.

But it would be a great fight!

Westside

Hall of Famer
When I go outside to my backyard to BBQ I am in complete control. I have confidence in ability and skills to prepare a great meal. GGG has the same feeling. 350 ameture fights, plus over 20 professional fights will give him the same feeling in the ring like I have in my backyard. He is at home in the ring.

Tonight turned out like I predicted. GGG has explosive power, great balance and subtle movement. Mac, after feeling GGG power knew it was futile. So he went out swinging like a warrior. That body shot would have taken out a light heavyweight.