Machida vs. Lesnar

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Apparently, UFC LHW Champ Lyoto Machida says if he (successfully) defends his belt 5x, he wants a shot at Nordic monster & HW Champ Brock Lesnar. I'd give Machida a big advantage standing, but I don't see him dealing with the massive size, freakish strength/power & speed of Lesnar....Brock by TKO (G&P) in Round 2.

Machida Wants 5 Fights, Then Lesnar

By Jake Rossen (jrossen@sherdog.com)

Saturday, October 17 5:33 am PT: Lyoto Machida makes me proud to be a fan and observer of this sport. He's respectful, appreciative, and the ignition for the most talked-about platform shift in fighting sports since Royce Gracie began choking people out with his thighs.

Speaking with Sherdog.com's Marcelo Alonso, Machida explained that if he defends his belt five times, he wants an opportunity to face Brock Lesnar.

"My focus is on my class, but in the future I would like to do a couple of [heavyweight] fights, like Brock Lesnar,"Â￾ he told Alonso. "I respect Brock Lesnar as a fighter, but I know I can fight with him. Brock Lesnar is a big challenge for me because he's a big guy, very strong, very fast. For me, I like the challenge."Â￾

Painfully ambitious guy. Lesnar/Machida, if it ever happens, could represent the largest-scale style vs. style match in the sport's history. There's probably no way Lesnar could tag Machida standing, but I would have a hard time imagining Machida could get out from underneath Lesnar. (That's not a character flaw: he couldn't out-grapple a Kodiak bear, either, but I don't hold it against him.)

Said before but maybe worth repeating: Machida is a new incarnation of Rickson Gracie, a near-mythical fighter whose value comes from a seemingly flawless execution of a house style. Thank God he's actually interested in fighting.

***Reference article..

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Lol is this a joke? What is Machida thinking? Does he honestly feel he could defend himself against Brocks takedowns??

guest301

Hall of Famer
Bad idea Machida! That whole best pound for pound thing goes out the window when Lesnar mauls you and shows everybody why you are a light heavyweight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
How many pounds would Machida have to go up in weight? Would it be around 25 lbs for him to make the heavyweight minimum?